Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-28-2006, 11:25 AM

Let's see: My rationale for considering fuel pumps a preventive maintenance item is flawed, as the fuel pump failure on which I based this conclusion could only have resulted from "neglected maintenance" on my part.

I have seen the light.

So when do you pull and unclog those pesky pumps to keep 'em from failing?

dcb
Old 11-28-2006, 12:13 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb

So when do you pull and unclog those pesky pumps to keep 'em from failing?

dcb
I don't unless I'm in the area for another reason b/c in reality they'll outlast the car more often then not. I said nothing about unclogging pumps either so again, did you read what I wrote? How often do you replace your tranny? I know of plenty of trannys that fail well before 100k but I don't think I've ever heard of an SVX owner having their fuel pump fail before then. I'll bet you're out there changing one now as preventive maintainance. Might want to replace your radiator too as they tend to go at about the 10 year mark too.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:33 PM

I give up.

No, wait. The original poster (who has probably had quite enough of this thread) asked about replacing the fuel pump specifically as a preventive maintenance measure. Not transmissions or anything else. Fuel pump. I related my experience and intentions based upon that experience. Others did likewise. My preference may well be overkill, fine; service items and intervals vary widely from between individuals, and it's possible to express this minus obscure, uninformed conjecture.

There, I'm done.

dcb
Old 11-28-2006, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb
I give up.

No, wait. The original poster (who has probably had quite enough of this thread) asked about replacing the fuel pump specifically as a preventive maintenance measure. Not transmissions or anything else. Fuel pump. I related my experience and intentions based upon that experience. Others did likewise. My preference may well be overkill, fine; service items and intervals vary widely from between individuals, and it's possible to express this minus obscure, uninformed conjecture.

There, I'm done.

dcb
And what I and everybody else here is saying is that you're experience is anything but the norm on a Subaru, even a 25 year old platform Subaru that was build using 70s technology. I just hate seeing people pooring money down the drain on something that would be about 350th down on the list for preventative maint.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:31 PM
SVX Voyeur

I can see everyone's point. Already did my Tranny at 50,000Miles under Warranty. Well the previous owner did. Having always driven older cars I always used to replace the fuel pump, alternator bushes, and Battery when I purchased them. This would then create a reliable car. But after what I have read on this thread I think I can hold off for a while as the pump seems to be a good product from the feedback.

Thanks Again!

On a fun note we had a good dump of snow (1st of this winter) on the weekend so I have enjoyed myself
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SVX Snowy.JPG (31.2 KB, 148 views)
1981 FIAT Spider 120,000Miles

50% Boxer
Old 11-28-2006, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by US to CDN SVX
I can see everyone's point. Already did my Tranny at 50,000Miles under Warranty. Well the previous owner did. Having always driven older cars I always used to replace the fuel pump, alternator bushes, and Battery when I purchased them. This would then create a reliable car. But after what I have read on this thread I think I can hold off for a while as the pump seems to be a good product from the feedback.

Thanks Again!

On a fun note we had a good dump of snow (1st of this winter) on the weekend so I have enjoyed myself

Just put the pump money towards some good snow tires. The SVX is a little hard to handle in the deep white stuff on performance tires.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:27 PM

fuel pump

I had a fuel pump failure at 85K. The car kept switching off at speed or not starting. Uneven idle may be early indication of fuel pump problems.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxjet
I had a fuel pump failure at 85K. The car kept switching off at speed or not starting. Uneven idle may be early indication of fuel pump problems.
Often what you're describing is a grounding issue on Subarus. Did the shop actually test the pump outside of the car or just replace it (which in most cases helps to reground it).

Our racer totally died on the track when the exhaust split in two at one of the hangers. It was what was grounding the fuel pump relay and when it wasn't attached the fuel pump, no pumpie.

Kinda like the "alternator" mod. Its totally unneeded on a properly maintained new SVX (or Subaru) but as the car ages, wire corrode and up the resistance it provides a needed help to the system. Now if the wires were replaced and the connectors and grounds cleaned up most would fine that this mod that everybody raves about is pretty much useless.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:16 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Often what you're describing is a grounding issue on Subarus. Did the shop actually test the pump outside of the car or just replace it (which in most cases helps to reground it).

Our racer totally died on the track when the exhaust split in two at one of the hangers. It was what was grounding the fuel pump relay and when it wasn't attached the fuel pump, no pumpie.

Kinda like the "alternator" mod. Its totally unneeded on a properly maintained new SVX (or Subaru) but as the car ages, wire corrode and up the resistance it provides a needed help to the system. Now if the wires were replaced and the connectors and grounds cleaned up most would fine that this mod that everybody raves about is pretty much useless.
I totally agree with your comments on this. Wiring is frequently the culprit in "strange" malfunctions in these older cars.

Lee

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 11-30-2006, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77
I totally agree with your comments on this. Wiring is frequently the culprit in "strange" malfunctions in these older cars.

Lee

Lee

The planets must be aligned, Lee and I actually agree on something! LOL man!!!