How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-01-2006, 12:39 PM
Tan interior=Sex

Driving the SVX:Lift Off oversteer!?

i know i know, ive been spamming like crazy, but theirs not a huge amount of rescources about this car, so ill try to make this my last thread for awile,

anyways im interested in basically how the SVX handles, i know i like the ride and feel of the car, but i dont know anything about the balance of teh car as i cant exactly take the cars ive test driven to a skid pad, anyways im comming from a later model mki MR2, which has the later revised and much more consistent rear suspension geometry(roll centers and bump steer corrected starting 1987, similar thing happened with mkii where the 1991 and 1992 had crap rear suspension geometry and then it was fixed 3rd year in, 1993)

anyways i know our cars are front wheel drive biased, so their wont be much oversteer on exit in the U.S. spec cars, and they have that crazy active diff, so it wouldnt stay oversteery anyways, but i was wondering if with precise driving techniques if lift off/braking oversteer can be achieved, in the mr2 i can do it on the track pretty comfidently and its hella fun! but i was wondering if anybody has ever had any sort of experience in a SVX

i dont plan on changing the springs or sway bars as i like the ride quality too much, but anyways, eitherway the car deffenetily has stolen my heart, i was just wondering about tihs one last detail, and driving (at the track) in general
Old 11-01-2006, 01:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
Mine is exstremely tail happy. I have no trouble oversteering. Of course, I do have an STi tranny with rear biasing. The best way to acheive what your after is going to be changing the sway bars. I dont think you would compomise the ride too much. My Spec-V is FWD and rides decent, but go into a turn too hot and lift off and you'll be chasing the tail.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:41 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Have never experienced lift throttle oversteer. If you are drifting through a turn, you definitely can use more lock and throttle to tighten your line, but you will still be understeering. Trail braking works. You can bring the rear end around that way. Be careful, though, because if it really breaks loose due to too much braking after turn-in, the rear end can come loose completely and very fast. This is based on WRX 5MT with 50/50 f/r torque split.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 11-01-2006, 01:49 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Mine will liftoff oversteer pretty confidently, But I've really got to be moving to make it happen ever since I did the rear suspension mod. It seems to hold on much better now than before.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:24 PM
Old Guy

You want lift-off oversteer? Buy a Porsche.
Preston
Old 11-01-2006, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDSides
Preston
That's true. Keep in mind what the SVX is... consider that its 3600 lbs (or more, forgot exact number), that the 4EAT it comes with does not like to be raced, and that this was meant to be a GT car. I'm talking without a tranny swap, and such.

But with that money you might as well buy another MR2 to have fun with.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:57 PM
Tan interior=Sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDSides
Preston

i never said i needed it as a requirement for fun, i dont want alot of lift off oversteer, i just wanted to know if the SVX had any,

the mr2 is about as rear heavy as i need right now , its a great little car, and makes me want to concentrate souly on driving, and this is all on a car with 174k on the stock suspension. the thing is, as a daily driver its kinda noisy(wind) and as its not galvanized the chassi rusts and i live in Michigan, so i cant depend on it if i want to have the car sometime from now(which i do), also i just happen to really like alot of the design philosophy behind the SVX, and as i plan on making the MR2 a more agressive car, id like to have something to drive that will act more as a companion and less as a mistress, if that makes any sence

to be honest ive been daily driving the MR2 all the time that i can(when its not broken) for about two years, and strange thing is is that i actually think i like it a bit more now that i understand its purpose then i did right after i bought it, but i really really love the SVX(from the little bit ive driven it) so i just kinda wanted to know what a SVX was like in bed(on the track)

Last edited by Ottobon; 11-01-2006 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:56 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Shotgunslade put it perfectly... The car is not prone to oversteer except in one situation... Tailbraking... THis is when you hit a turn hot, hit the brakes hard enough to scuff the rear tires and you are able to point the car where you want and have a controled drift using the throttle to balance... Now the active diff is where you need to be concerned... A car with a slippery clutch pack will not do this so easily but one with good transfer clutches will... The nature of the car is a FWDer and AWD when you simply NEED it...

Tom
Old 11-02-2006, 07:56 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I've only really done it once...by accident. It was during autox in the rain. Instead of braking before turning I stayed on the gas too long then I lifted, braked and turned all at the same time. The back end came around in a hurry!

This is with a WRX 5MT tranny with 50/50 power distribution.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
With the STi tranny, All I need is cold tires, and to turn the wheel and touch the gas.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:16 PM
Tan interior=Sex

which trannies have they manually adjustable tourqe split?, it sounds awesome!

Last edited by Ottobon; 11-02-2006 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:15 PM

The only real time I experience the lift off oversteer is in autocross. My stocker will loose it if I get into a turn or slalom too fast and chop the throttle, sometimes pretty wild. It is a heavy car, once it gets going it has that weight behind it.

Overall: buy an SVX