Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-19-2006, 09:55 PM

SVX Engine build question

Hey guys, I'm lookin' at an SVX engine to pick up and build. I was wondering, since it is a 3.3 version of Subaru's 2.2, does that mean that all the internals are the same, just with 2 more of everything? That'd be awesome if that were the case.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:05 PM

bump...how come no one wanna answer
Old 10-20-2006, 07:24 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
similar but there are many parts that are not copesetic(spelling??). What would help is your aim for the build... Rebuild? N/A for mild, big, HUGE power, for some sort of forced induction?? These all need to be clarified to see the overall goal here. You and I are on the same page along with a few others. I will be looking to do a MONSTER build of an EG33 to hold a lot of boost and a lot of power. These things cost big money though so mine will be a gradual project.

Tom
Old 10-20-2006, 09:01 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Ditto here...except I'm sticking with NA for this engine
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 10-20-2006, 09:39 PM

Yea, I'm lookin 4 boost. I'm thinkin that stock parts from the 2.2 turbo from either the legacy or the (drool) h22a impreza would fit. I know for a fact that STI rods are the same as ours...but better. It's just a matter of matching crap. I was just asking in case someone already wrote something about this. Btw Tom, I want everything I need to be able to bolt on a wrx 5spd. You're sellin the crossmembers and stuff, right? Should I buy a driveshaft from now and have in leghthened 2 inches? I'm trying to accumilate everything to make it a 1 day project. Oh, and btw, the reason I want to use stock Subaru parts is so I don't have to bother with boring and whatnot. You learn how to boost for cheap when you're desperate and own a 240, lol.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:15 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

I actually found some interesting stuff out about the 2.2ltr vs the 3.3ltr... Apparently the pistons are the same size... However, the point where the connecting rod attaches to the piston is diffrent on the SVX motor than the 2.2ltr...

In short... NO, the pistons can't be used in the EG33...

If you really want to build the engine, do it right... Contact Deadbolt Performance in Asheville, NC... The owner's name is Jerry... He bought my old engine and is building it for around 1,350hp!!!! Then it is going in a bonniville salt flats car (Yellow 2006 WRX) and they are gonna try to break the speed record for a 4 door AWD car... Contact him and ask him what company he is getting the pistons made at...

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 10-20-2006, 10:22 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXtacy
Yea, I'm lookin 4 boost. I'm thinkin that stock parts from the 2.2 turbo from either the legacy or the (drool) h22a impreza would fit. I know for a fact that STI rods are the same as ours...but better. It's just a matter of matching crap. I was just asking in case someone already wrote something about this. Btw Tom, I want everything I need to be able to bolt on a wrx 5spd. You're sellin the crossmembers and stuff, right? Should I buy a driveshaft from now and have in leghthened 2 inches? I'm trying to accumilate everything to make it a 1 day project. Oh, and btw, the reason I want to use stock Subaru parts is so I don't have to bother with boring and whatnot. You learn how to boost for cheap when you're desperate and own a 240, lol.
I don't think I could pull off a 1 day mt swap even if I worked all day. I mean...maybe but at that point I would be pushing myself too hard and would start to make mistakes... Believe me, allot yourself at least 2 weeks of downtime to do an mt swap

Tom
Old 10-20-2006, 10:39 PM

2 weeks? I'm talkin bout winter break or something, where I'm laid off work for a month and have nothing else to do but go to the gym. I won't rush it out of impatience, more like out of excitement. As a sidenote, does that kit come with mounts, or do the mounts line up? Also F**K for those pistons not being able to fit. I actually contacted JE Pistons, and a set from them would run me about 950. I'm guessing the head stuff would work (please say yes), but I don't know if I'd be making THAT kind of horsepower. I just want boost. Non-linear boost.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:41 PM
Maniac modifier

by non linear bost what do you mean?? The stage 3 makes great boost and once LAN has finalized all software for the kit, it will be a solid kit to make big power. No engine mods needed to run the 12.5 psi I am running now. Maybe this would be your best alternative. I like the instant boost of the stage 3 versus a turbo or axial vein blower. No waiting for power... just put your foot down and BAM it is all there

Tom
Old 10-22-2006, 08:05 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
by non linear bost what do you mean?? The stage 3 makes great boost and once LAN has finalized all software for the kit, it will be a solid kit to make big power. No engine mods needed to run the 12.5 psi I am running now. Maybe this would be your best alternative. I like the instant boost of the stage 3 versus a turbo or axial vein blower. No waiting for power... just put your foot down and BAM it is all there

Tom

Yeah, but didn't you get the BAM when you were just running NO2?

sorry, couldn't resist
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 10-22-2006, 08:11 PM
Maniac modifier

yeah but before "the big bang" I was haulin some serious ass!!!!!

and he almighty bill stock would have dropped to it's mechanical knees and worshiped the 500+ ft. lbs of torque

Tom
Old 10-22-2006, 08:16 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
yeah but before "the big bang" I was haulin some serious ass!!!!!

and he almighty bill stock would have dropped to it's mechanical knees and worshiped the 500+ ft. lbs of torque

Tom

No doubt, my friend, no doubt!

-Bill

My Locker