Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods

Old 10-06-2006, 02:04 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Looks like similar results from the hyper ground kits on the market - which multiple car mags have shown the results to be real from their own dyno tests. Modern electronics just love a solid state of power/ground (pun intended )
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 10-06-2006, 03:38 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I have a 1F capacitor I had installed when I installed my stereo. I didn't notice any difference as to how my car ran. The car still eats alternators on average of one rebuild per year.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:25 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
I brought this subject up in December of last year (voltage stabilizer). This is the response I got from AFBeefcake;
Its just a capacitor of around .5 farads.
Yes a capacitor will stabilize the voltage, but unless your running subs and amps, You really would not need one.
A capacitor resists voltage change. As the voltage across the cap drops the cap tries to make up for the difference by suppling voltage.
The bigger the cap the longer it can make up of the difference in voltage. once the voltage across the cap is back to normal the cap recharges.
A capacitor really only helps when voltage draw is continually changing.
Like with a sub woofer amp, when the sub hits is draws power. The harder the hit the more power drawn

Last edited by dannmarr; 10-07-2006 at 07:21 PM.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:36 PM

Registered SVX
Yes this is correct and a usefull application which makes sense, particularly if there is an unusually long supply cable run, of limited cross section, e.g. battery to trunk.

An audio amplifier will draw high current at high sound peaks in the signal and the resistance in the supply leads will result in voltage drop. Fluctuations will be of a very short duration and therefor a large capacitor is capable of "filling in" such short depressions in the supply voltage. That said, if the supply line is adequate, an extra capacitor will serve no purpose. Any amp of sound design will incorporate existing built in capacitors, to cater for what can be considered normal.

The same theory can of course be dishonestly claimed in respect of the ignition system, but the same conditions do not apply and the sales pitch made is invalid. Looks good, a talking point, fun to fit, costs you, surely must feel/work better.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-07-2006, 04:38 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
It would however be interesting to see if it had any effect on components like the sunroof, windows and antenna. It seems as though these items don't receive adequate/consistant voltage.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:31 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael
It would however be interesting to see if it had any effect on components like the sunroof, windows and antenna. It seems as though these items don't receive adequate/consistant voltage.
A capacitor small enough to fit within the car trunk/boot, would not have sufficient capacity to provide that required to run any accessory and would be in all respects be impractical. Time is the essence, i.e. cycle, discharge/charge.

If you are experiencing trouble in this regard, fix the fault, which will be resistance in the respective supply line.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!