How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-23-2002, 08:46 PM
onevia

General SVX questions

Hi everyone. Just a quick introduction... my name is Tom. I know a lot about cars in general, but nothing specific about the SVX. I am a Nissan guy. I own an s13 240SX (Silvia for other countries).

Anyway... I have a few questions for you all. I am sorry, I am sure you have heard them all a milion times before... As far as I know, all SVX's are AUTO transmition. How dificult is it to swap in a manual tranny from say, an impreza or something? Also, what is the aftermarket like for those cars?

The SVX has always made me curious... the sound of a 200 hp n/a 6 cyl with AWD in a sport compact is really neat. I was even thinking about getting one before I got my 240SX... but the whole auto tranny kinda turned me off.

I really like your cars guys! Thanks for the info!

-Tom

http://www.s13garage.com
Old 05-23-2002, 09:21 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Hi Tom,

Look at thread headers from the last month or so. I'm sure all your questions will be answered to your satisfaction.

I'm not putting you off, it's just that there's so much to be said on those topics, and it's all been said so recently, that you'd learn a lot more by just going to some recent posts.

Welcome to the Network. Good luck on your search. If you're going to treat it well, get a newer car. If you're going to mod the heck out of it or just beat it up, get a '92. Either way, you'll be a happy motorist. Oh yeah, I was just kidding about the beating up stuff. Don't you dare!
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 05-23-2002, 09:25 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Hi Tom, welcome to the site.

Eons and eons ago I/we used to race a lot of 510s and Z-cars. I always thought the 240SX was a good looking car, but Nissan missed the boat with the engine. If there was ever a car that needed more ooomph and panache under the hood, that was the one.

You need to use the search feature here, there's a lot of info on those subjects. The aftermarket is totally new for the manuals, as only a few (to our knowledge) have been converted.

The SVX as a 'sport compact' is a slight misnomer, it's a bit 'fat' to be considered a compact. True, the trans can be an issue. I think that most that have replaced the unit once, with a Subaru reman, have had reasonably good luck afterwards. Of course there's always exceptions, but they are few.

The SVX's biggest downfall, relatively, is the low production number and its affect on aftermarket replacements and upgrades. The upside is its novelty/rarity/uniqueness. Not quite a Pantera, where a vast amount of parts are interchangeable with 30+ years of common Fords.

An SVX is a fairly reliable, unique looking, weather-defying Grand Touring Sports Coupe of high order. Its best virtue is the camaraderie of its owners on this website.
Old 05-24-2002, 11:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
Wink

well put wasions and beav and welcome to the club do some searching also found subarusvx.com verry usefull also good luck
Old 05-24-2002, 02:23 PM

sorry so short...on my way to the track

welcome to the madness and congrats on owning the best car in the world(after just spending 4 hours cleaning the girl up)

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.