How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-05-2006, 03:52 PM

snapped hose w/ spring(?) inside

Hello everyone,
I just purchased my SVX a few weeks ago and am happy with the decision so far. Though it was brutal the first few days without air conditioning coming home from work and the outside temp being 103, 105 and so on. Thankfully that was a quick fix for $35, after Meineke wanted $200 to just discharge/refill the system.

Anyways.... the check engine light was on when I got it. I thought I had gotten lucky and fixed it when I changed out the plugs(mmm new cuts on hands), air filter and battery. Then I realized disconnecting the battery must reset codes, cause it came on again after a few more rides.

And then it didnt start after coming home. starter making grinding kind of noise. hmmm guess i need a new starter. maybe thats what the check engine light was for. (few days later...) (+ a few more cuts)came very close to grinding the nut off the rod, got a dremel just for the purpose. but some craftsman specialty sockets did the job right before that point. car takes while to start, but start it did, and no check engine light. alright, seems we'll be good.

well, as you can guess, the light came back on. more searching.. find out how to self test with flashes. 21 and 56. water temp and egr system. add water temp sensor to subaruparts.com order, decide further testing needed for egr. fast forward to today. Taking advice from local mechanics who work on our company vehicles decide to attempt pulling valve off and lubricating with pb blaster, make sure its a stuck valve before ordering new one. without taking the intake manifold off. starter off easy enough. front bolts on valve a bit difficult, hope back ones wont be like this. back passenger side off and not much rust.. back driver side problems with tools fitting. find the way to squeeze my hand under somehow to put ratchet on a semi decent angle of attack. hmm some cables in way.. move... SNAP..

uh oh.. this cant be good. why is this hose so hard.. is this a spring inside? maybe cars gonna be stuck a couple days... Litter the F word around in there a few times and you had my thoughts.

Anyways, gonna probably try a little bit more to get the valve off without taking off manifold, then i'm gonna just do it. (and hope too much fuel doesnt splash all around) but once i do that, and lube it up(hoping it solves the rough idle problem, that only happens at start up, not when warm) I'm going to still ahve the problem of this hose. Can anyone tell me what it is? And if I can temporarily fix it with duct tape or electrical tape? Hope I didn't go off topic too much. Thanks.

Andy
IMGP0733.jpg

IMGP0734.jpg
Old 08-05-2006, 04:06 PM
Teh Geek

Send a message via ICQ to nsm484 Send a message via AIM to nsm484 Send a message via Yahoo to nsm484
Registered SVX
Well I cant help you with your current problem, But let me be the first to Welcome you to the network... you seem as if you've done your research on the SVX
so you should know weird problems always seem to happen with em... but hey, still gotta love em huh?

Im sure someone can help you out here, we got quite a few experenced people here.

Anyway, again, welcome to the network... hope ya stay around awhile
and good luck

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally [Nori]

1996 LSi Polo Green [Calista] - 18" Konig Incident's - Lived for awhile Now Selling
1992 LSL Dark Teal [Yori] (Rear Ended, Donor to Calista, and now gone)
1992 LSL Ebony Mica (Sold to svxcuseme)
Old 08-05-2006, 04:38 PM

Thanks nsm484, this network was one of the main supporting factors in wanting to get the SVX, after finding it in a search after seeing the car advertised.

With a little beer, and the cracked hose incident not fresh in my mind, I was able to get that 4th nut off. Found out that the valve isn't coming out of that space as I had earlier pictured in my mind. Oh well, this was a testing expedition(with casualties), valve seems to be able to move freely. had some sort of oil on it already, hope its supposed to be there, adding lubricant. suspecting exhaust pressure control valve is the culprit. wish service manual was here now instead of friday to help diagnosis.

Now what could this cracked hose be.. maybe tomorrow is a better day to deal with it.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:40 PM

I know exactly what that is, because I just dealt iwth it not too long ago. all it is is a simple vacuum hose, and can be replaced easily and cheaply. The hose should run from the top connection into a plastic thingy that has "To EGR" printed on it. Then, that plastic thingy has a rubber nipple on the end, that fits into another plastic thing, that has another vacuum hose connected to it, that fits onto the bottom connection. Essentially, all you need is a short length of vacuum hose (it doesnt even need to be pre-molded like the OEM one is). I just replaced my vacuum hoses, including that one, and have had absolutely no problem after replacing that one with a non OEM one. a simple anc cheap fix
Old 08-05-2006, 10:32 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Agreed, looks like a regular vacume hose. Alot of them are pre-molded, and over time get stiff and easy to break. Being stuck in a hot air pocket trapped between the engine and intake manifold for 12-15 years doesnt help much either...

(Shamless plug)
you may be intrested to know that I'm hosting a meet in southern NJ.Among the guests will be sevral people who really know their way around the engine bay. If you have the weekend free you may want to show up. Itll be in Tuckerton on Auust 12th
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 08-07-2006, 11:56 AM

Thanks, was able to get up and running for 54 cents. and have half a foot of hose extra.

I'm interested in the South Jersey meet. Would need some directions from the parkway though.