Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-22-2006, 07:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to jeradsvx
common problem?

Just a few questions to ask,
was wondering if the valve cover gaskets leaking are a common problem. Mine seem to have a small leak.
Also when i turn on my headlight, on the dash lights you can see a pulsing, bright then dim, bright then dim, under the impression that it is the alternator, the alternator is less then 10k old from last owner
Also while I am here something weird happened today, started the car, rpms went to 500 and wouldnt go higher, soon as i touched the gas the car would stall....did this a few times and finally i let it sit at 500rpms for a little while and pressed the gas and it didnt stall, acted weak but didnt stall.
any ideas would be appreciated.
thanks all
Jerad
Old 05-23-2006, 04:20 AM

Just saying hi to a fellow, Syracusean
Old 05-23-2006, 08:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
yes valve cover gaskets are a common problem... it sounds almost like the replacement alternator isn't rated at high enough amps... so when you have a full electical load on the car it is straning... i would go in and get a quick electircal test. as for the stall... unless it happens again i wouldnt worry about it
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 05-23-2006, 11:29 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeradsvx
Also while I am here something weird happened today, started the car, rpms went to 500 and wouldnt go higher, soon as i touched the gas the car would stall....did this a few times and finally i let it sit at 500rpms for a little while and pressed the gas and it didnt stall, acted weak but didnt stall.
Mine started to experience this problem when the engine temperature sensor was failing. It would only happen when the car sat overnight. Once it was running it was good for the rest of the day.

Do you have any engine codes?
Old 05-23-2006, 01:32 PM

yeah check engine code came on this morning, did the same thing this morning and this afternoon when i got out of work, once engine is to temp i can shut it off and it comes right back on,

think it be the temp sensor?
thanks
jerad
Old 05-23-2006, 01:39 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Have your alternator tested at an alternator shop. It might still be bad, thats what was wrong when my lights were pulsing. After replacing it, it totally went away, and seemed to run better in general.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:39 PM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
yeah I've got leaky valve cover gaskets and light problems too.. The gaskets I don't care too much about, I haven't had an oil change since like January (2800 miles ago) and am still just below F on the dipstick. The oil is still nice and clear too (Mobile 1 syntec = best oil ever). I've read a bad voltage regulator causes the lights to do that but I haven't replaced that yet either.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:05 PM

Most times on subarus its just a matter or tightening (properly) the screws on the valve covers. Dont over tighten them as you will make it worse.

nipper
Old 05-23-2006, 07:39 PM

thanks for the help
checked the code, was a coolant temp sensor, gonna have to find out where that little bugger is and replace it tomorrow
thanks
jerad
Old 05-24-2006, 10:13 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
It's on the water pipe on the top of the engine (driver's side rear). It's the 2 wire sensor and is the less expensive of the 2. (compared to the temperature sensor for the dash gauge)
Old 05-24-2006, 11:02 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
It's on the water pipe on the top of the engine (driver's side rear). It's the 2 wire sensor and is the less expensive of the 2. (compared to the temperature sensor for the dash gauge)
Yup. And, not only that, the sensor for the Legacy is the same damned thing - but less expensive. Don't let the dealer charge you extra just because it's for an SVX.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 05-25-2006, 06:05 AM

i got the coolant temp sensor and just need to put it in tonight

one quick thing, about the lights flickering cause of the alternator,
-i heard a squeaking noise from under the hood yesterday and upon inspection i saw that the crank pulley was moving about 1/4 of an inch, you think that has anything to do with the alternator as well?
Guess i will be replacing the crank pulley tonight too
thanks
jerad
Old 05-25-2006, 11:04 AM
Meow!

Yes, if your crank pulley has moved then it is also slipping. That should be the first thing you replace when troubleshooting this issue.