SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Reading Meet

Old 02-24-2006, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Another option...

I just talked to Tia at the Holiday Inn concerning the cookout idea. I prefaced it by saying this was a lunch alternative, since their restaurant was not open during lunchtime. I told her that members would go off the property to eat anyway if they didn't want McDonald's.

I told her it was our preference to have a sort of "pot luck" cookout at the far end of the property, close to the fence and the access road (pronounced "dragstrip"). She was checking to see it this would be agreeable to management. I told her that thios is something the Denver HI had no problem with.

The second option she suggested was to have the hotel operate a concession with the same offerings we were considering. They could provide hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken breasts, chips, etc., or whatever we wanted They would provide the gas grill and someone to operate it for a specified period of time. She seemed willing to work with us, no matter which way we wanted to go.

Tia will be getting back to me with prices and I am sure it will be a lot cheaper than the buffet dinner. This may be the best of both worlds, but I will get back with more information when it arrives.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 02-24-2006, 11:56 AM

Registered SVX
Thanks, John.

Keep us posted and let me know if there is anything I can do.

Diana

1992 Liquid Silver LSL, >230K -- "Silver Bullet" // dimpled/slotted rotors, SS brakes lines, 5000K HID headlights // TRI-TONE paint
Old 02-24-2006, 02:06 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
[QUOTE=green_eyed_lady]Thanks, John.

Keep us posted and let me know if there is anything I can do.

You can flip the burgers, Diane.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:15 PM

Another option for a lunchtime cookout would be to hold it at the park where we started the "rally/scavenger hunt" last year, also we need to remeber that any cookout (especialy one "hosted" by the hotel) is obviously going to be weather dependent.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

green_eyed_lady and I have been in contact with the hotel concerning the proposed cookout on saturday afternoon.

We are currently working on another alternative with the Holiday Inn. As soon as I get more information back from the General Manager, I will let everyone know.

On a somewhat related note, how come with over 50 people committed to Reading, we have so many rooms left? (21 out of 35 remain at last count)

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Old 03-08-2006, 07:59 PM
Superbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess
green_eyed_lady and I have been in contact with the hotel concerning the proposed cookout on saturday afternoon.

We are currently working on another alternative with the Holiday Inn. As soon as I get more information back from the General Manager, I will let everyone know.

On a somewhat related note, how come with over 50 people committed to Reading, we have so many rooms left? (21 out of 35 remain at last count)

Becouse not eveyone has realized IT'S LIKE A MONTH AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 03-10-2006, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Exclamation The Restaurant Will Be Open For Lunch for Us!

Quote:
green_eyed_lady and I have been in contact with the hotel concerning the proposed cookout on Saturday afternoon.

We are currently working on another lunchtime alternative with the Holiday Inn. As soon as I get more information back from the General Manager, I will let everyone know.
I have been talking with Michael Turner, General Manager of the Morgantown Holiday Inn about this cookout idea. He explained a lot of his concerns to me, especially that the area we were considering (at the far end of the parking lot (the "dragstrip" area) was not part of their property, but belonged to the furniture outlet mall. We also discussed the possibility of unfavorable weather on that Saturday and how that would affect cookout plans.

I explained our concerns about the dinner buffet and that we needed a lunchtime option, since the hotel restaurant was not open for lunch. If we didn't have a cookout, we would probably go to McDonald's, etc.

To get to the point, I convinced him to open the restaurant at lunchtime for our group and offer us a limited menu to choose from. I told him that, since his breakfast hours continued to 11:00am and dinner started at 5:00 pm, he already had staff on site to do this anyway.

He thought this was a good idea. he said that we could congregate in the restaurant and eat as desired (instead of wandering around the parking lot, cheeseburger in one hand and no place to put it down) or get it inside and take the food outside. This also covered the possibility of bad weather, wher eeveryone might go inside anyway. It would also allow any sleepy members (who drove all night and slept in through breakfast) the opportunity to get something to eat at the hotel.

Here is his email to me, along with suggested menu offerings and prices:

Mr. Hoffman,

Granting your request, we will open the restaurant for lunch for the SVX club. Here is a sample of a menu we could have for lunch on Saturday and it would be available for either dine-in or carryout to the parking lot. We can also add other items to the menu if you wish and the hours of operation can be pretty much what you think would be convenient and necessary.

Please let Tia Jones, Director of Sales, know when you have gotten ideas from the group. If I can be of further assistance feel free to contact me.

Regards,

H. Michael Turner
General Manager
Holiday Inn Morgantown
6170 Morgantown Road
Morgantown, PA 19543
Tel: 610-286-3000
Fax: 610-286-0137
turnerm@harihotels.net

Here is his tenative lunch menu offering (subject to our approval)

Chicken Wings...$6.50
Chicken Fingers...$5.95
Potato Skins...$4.95
Chicken Quesadilla...$6.95
Philly Cheese Steak...$6.95
Chicken Cheese Steak...$6.95
Cheeseburger...$6.95
Ham and Turkey Club...$5.95
Grilled Chicken Sandwich...$6.95
Chef Salad...$6.95
Chicken Caesar Salad...$7.95

This give us more flexibility during lunchtime, as far as food choices go. People who may be hungry at dinner can choose to eat at the hotel or arrange for other restaurant options. locally, without regard to a set dinner time. I think we can safely rule out the HI buffet offerings.

If we want to do this, can anyone thing of anything else they would like to see offered? (I'm sure things like french fries, chips, etc, are available already). I was thinking the hours should be from 11:30am to 2:00pm.

What are your thoughts? I have no other ideas left.

Last edited by svxcess; 03-10-2006 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

No comments either way?

Old 03-10-2006, 08:57 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
No comments either way?
I think, John, that you did a GREAT job on this!
Even as poor as I/we am/are this year I/we can afford a $7.00 lunch!
I appreciate your efforts, as i am sure do all of us
The picnic lunch would also be great, but as an alternative this works for me, AND it is also less work!

BarbyQ at the dragstrip!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 03-11-2006, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Exclamation Well??

What about lunch?

I would like to get back to the hotel by the end of the week with some kind of confirmation or questions on any additions to the menu you might want.

Old 03-12-2006, 10:34 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
The lunch and dinner menues seem more than adequate. Great job organizing all this stuff!
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 03-13-2006, 06:22 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Slightly off topic for Reading SVX Meet

On Saturday, April 22, the Porsche club of eastern PA is holding their annual swap meet at Hersey, PA. Hersey, PA (also known as chocolate town) is not far from Morgantown, PA (site of the world famous SVX Meet) and is the home of the Hersey bar and Reese's pieces.
Maybe we can crash the Porsche party and take home some kisses?
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 03-15-2006, 06:33 PM
FKA....thndrmtn92svx
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to MNYPNNY Send a message via Yahoo to MNYPNNY
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryIII
On Saturday, April 22, the Porsche club of eastern PA is holding their annual swap meet at Hersey, PA. Hersey, PA (also known as chocolate town) is not far from Morgantown, PA (site of the world famous SVX Meet) and is the home of the Hersey bar and Reese's pieces.
Maybe we can crash the Porsche party and take home some kisses?
We can compare our boxers!!!

'92 LS-L - copper - 190K miles
'94 LS-L - pearlie - 92K miles

*still have '92 parts*
Old 03-15-2006, 06:34 PM
FKA....thndrmtn92svx
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to MNYPNNY Send a message via Yahoo to MNYPNNY
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
What about lunch?

I would like to get back to the hotel by the end of the week with some kind of confirmation or questions on any additions to the menu you might want.

John,
I'm sorry, I haven't been watching this thread. Wish that I had. I think both the lunch and dinner menus sound just perfect. Thanks for all your hard work!

'92 LS-L - copper - 190K miles
'94 LS-L - pearlie - 92K miles

*still have '92 parts*

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: