Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 09:02 AM
KCROGUEDOG

the coughs

two weeks ago im sitting at a light and notice a hicup / cough / backfire. i also noticed a lack of power so i did a routine tune up. after i changed my plugs i solved this problem so i thought. my car ran great for five days then its back to the same old problem. i have yet to pull the plugs agian. the lack of power caused almost a shake between gears. thinking im in tranny land changing the plugs cured this to. so im thinking fuel or electric problem. has any one experinced this and fixed it? or had simalar problems? what is the main cause of backfire sounds?
Old 11-05-2005, 12:11 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Is it possible you're looking at one bad coil-pack?

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 11-05-2005, 05:19 PM
KCROGUEDOG

i have had one bad one before and had simalar probs but worse. can they slowly go out. still work but at 50% of power for example. so if i was to do a electric test on each pack how is this done and what am i look for. im asuming a ohm meter. the only other thing i could see that is possible is im running really rich for some reason and fouling out the plugs. my maf is good. i got my third o2 sensor disconnected do to no cats. but i just got this problem and it has been disconnected for a year and 20,000 miles at least. i need a H converter for the dual system this is a future plan (to connect the o2 guy). my first two o2 s are still there i thought they controled the balance of fuel from the left and right of the engine and the third just detected catalsyt. correct me if im wrong and give me more info. thanks
Old 11-11-2005, 01:48 PM
KCROGUEDOG

coil pack is right i dyno scanned it and cyl 3 missfire. put new one on and good as new. then i broke a power steering hose booooo does the fixing stuff ever end...............
Old 11-11-2005, 01:50 PM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
dyno scan? Please explain.. I have the same problems.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:13 PM
KCROGUEDOG

hooked it up to a computer at friends shop saved me a lot of trobleshooting.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:59 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Dog, Glad ya got that bad boy! To answer your question.....No, it never ends. These are mechanical devices designed and built by Man right?

But in this case worth the effort.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 11-12-2005, 01:47 AM
KCROGUEDOG

yeah its been a pain in the u know. but now i got to buy a good pack. the coil pack i used to test the problem was of a friends svx with a blown tranny. which is going to the auction soon so i couldnt take it. subaru will take 3 4 days from monday and i really dont want to wait that long.