Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods

Old 06-26-2005, 01:03 AM

Modding/repairing a used SVX?

Hello,
This is my first post here, so hopefully this is in the right place (moderators, feel free to relocate). I just bought a '92 LS-L. I'm in love with this car and ideally I would like to just put all of my money into upgrading it, but I know that's not very reasonable considering both my status as a college student with a limited budget, and the age and condition of the car.

Here's the scoop: the car runs fine--great considering the circumstances. The transmission is a tad rough when shifting, but I only noticed because I was looking for it after spending some time in this forum. This is amazing because the car has 200,000 miles on it. Yes, 200,000. The wheel bearing have already been replaced, and no problems with the rotors as of yet. I got it from close family that I can trust. It's had regular mainenance, yearly tranny flushes, etc. Everything on it is stock (except the $2,000+ sound system and $1,200 rims that they put on it before I bought it ) As my only car, this will be my daily vehicle, and as someone else here so wonderfully put it, I'm an "aggressive" driver.

So basically, what would you guys recommend I do to/for an SVX with 200,000 miles on it? I'm looking for high value (bang for the buck) modifications and reliability here. I want to keep this car running great. I don't need super performance (I'll get myself in trouble), but some boost would be nice. I'm worried about the tranny because it's so old. Would you guys recommend buying a cooler or should I save my money for a rebuild/replacement? Is it a ticking timebomb, or is it OK if it's made it this long? What's this ECUtune stuff? What does it do? Should I replace my rotors now or wait until (if/when) they warp?

I might want to replace the leather. I read a "how to" somewhere on doing this at home. I'm willing to do the work, but I don't want it to look bad afterwards. Is it something a beginner can do and have it turn out good, or should I leave it to the pro's?

The bottom line...
I read the "what mods are you most satisfied with?" thread, but I don't even know what most of those are. If you guys could point out some mods that are really effective and well-worth the time and money and would best fit my situation, I think I can research them and do the rest.

75% of what I know about cars, I've learned from this forum, so don't get too technical with me, but any advice would be so greatly appreciated. I know I'm asking a lot...

Thanks,
Jessica
Old 06-26-2005, 03:40 AM
KCROGUEDOG

first hey hi and welcome second to the cheap tranny stuff. trans cooler $50 and the shift kit from smallcar.com also $50. the cooler will reduce heat for longer life and the kit will control firmness of shifts. harder and faster the shifts less heat is produced. my theory is when the auto tranny goes it is time for a 5sp or 6sp swap. exhuast wise u got tons of options very good mod. intake is more of a custom job that also helps after the exhuast. u could do a search on free mods and come up with some ideas. also check out some people lockers for pics of stuff they have done. im working on all my suspention parts now replacing and up grading. then paint. good luck on what you find and any questions just ask.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:45 AM
KCROGUEDOG

oh leave the leather definately to the pros just in case u done like they will fix. and heres a site for parts http://store.yahoo.com/svx-motorspor...ies/index.html ebay also helps out alot. for the boost try the msd stacker box its a little price.
Old 06-26-2005, 07:08 AM
Giong back to the beaters...

Welcome and I'll second both the trans cooler and the shift kit until the trans goes then on to a five speed swap. Most like to upgrade the headlights one way or the other(multiple over which headlight bulb alone) I personnally know the aggressive driving bit and to say when I used to warp rotors in and out of true every time I went out almost the slotted rotors from raceconcepts were my best investment however I will be buying ceramic pads next time. If you want a bit more growl from under the hood get the green cone filter from Dayle at Motorsports warehouse. Don't blow the car up too fast like I seem to be trying with auto cross but hey gotta race somewhere may as well keep it legal and safe.
89 240sx se red ~165k miles Gone and unknown
89 240sx se Black~185k R.I.P.
85 Toyota pickup ~205k R.I.P.
85 BMW 325e ~ Gone and unknown
85 Ford Mustang getting engine swap now!
05 Colorado ~108k Daily Driver
Old 06-26-2005, 11:14 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Begin newb info dump:

There should be an automatic PM for new members telling them to get a tranny cooler. Install a shift kit if you think it has enough life left to matter.
As for now, find the tranny resistor, unplug it, drive around, and tells us how it feels.
Make sure your tires are worn evenly.
Have the camber and alignment adjusted if the wheel veeres at all.
Leave all the skid panels/heat sheilds on unless they really irritate you.
Make sure you aren't missing screws or bolts. They tend to fall out of everwhere (because it has been vibrating for 14 years).
Get harder break pads.
Your rotors are fine.
Maybe zip-tie the brake lines, or get steel braided. Stopping is just as cool as going fast.
Reseal any oil leaks.
Grease any squeaky noises.
Maybe upgrade the suspension.

ArmorAll the interior and touch-up any paint chips. (:

If you don't want go-fast mods really there is not much else worth doing.

If you do,
sure get a cone filter if you must but isolate it from the engine.
Get an ECUTune stage 1 if you don't like the low end accelleration.
A phenolic spacer /tb bypass combo should noticeably improve throttle response.
Get a 110-120A alternator because you probably have a woofer setup with your sound system, and especially if you want an underdrived pulley. OEM 90A doesn't cut it at high rpms at least on my 92 (with pulley).
Combo: Iridium plugs, MSD stacker, silver battery terminals, and a grounding kit = sweet voltage, I guess.
Cut out your mufflers (there are two) and secondary cat and replace with a resonator and hi-flow cat and muffler, either Magnaflow or Stebro or whatever suits your taste.
Remove your AC if you can take the heat. I've gotten used to it and it keeps people from wanting to bum rides in the hot months. It frees up about 25lbs and gives you a bunch of space to play with.
If at this point accelleration still doesn't make you happy and you are sure an MT is not for you, find and install smaller final gears. OEM is 3.5ish, and from there you can do 3.7, 4.11, or 4.44. Plenty of info is avaiable via search and recent topics.
If you take the MT route, A lightened flywheel can supposedly help you out there.

This is all fine for street use. You probably never will need to do anything else (unless I missed something vital which is entirely possible).

But some of us like to race.
This is means nitrous set-ups, custom forced induction set-ups, a complete supercharger kit, extreme weight reduction, and in my case, starting to go with customized components for example an aluminun driveline, half shafts, light weight body panels, and a pretty weird cooling setup when the time comes.

/newbinfodumb

More knowledgeable members: ADD OR ALTER this post to be accurate/helpful as possible.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 06-26-2005 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:44 AM
JoeDman79

Im also a noob as far as the forum goes. What is a trans cooler and where can I get one? Thanks
Old 06-26-2005, 11:45 AM
JoeDman79

Im also a noob as far as the forum goes. What is a trans cooler and where can I get one? What does the 4.44 gears involve as far as wrench time and money and where can I look for those? Thanks
Old 06-26-2005, 12:16 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDman79
Im also a noob as far as the forum goes. What is a trans cooler and where can I get one? What does the 4.44 gears involve as far as wrench time and money and where can I look for those? Thanks
Looks like you hit quote instead of edit.

The latest t cooler thread is here -> http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26932

As far as gears, I don't know anything about it really. Just those numbers.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:16 PM
KCROGUEDOG

the thing i forgot that i cant have is the ecu chip. if i had your 92 that would be first. do to the only premuim fuel deal. just so u know you should and are supose to run premuim (it says so on below speedometer). if u get the chip u can run unleaded. which is hella cheaper right now and forever when compared to the pre. they only got the fish and chips for the 92- 95 models and SUPOSE to be working on the 96 97s.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:24 PM

This is great! Exactly what I was looking for. It seems like the tranny cooler and smallcar shiftkit are no-brainers, so I'll go ahead and get those. Some steel break lines seem like a good idea to start with too. So those are my top three, besides some minor touchups and maybe clear headlights.

I'm considering the ecu stage 1. How expensive is this?
I'm considering a MSD stacker. From what I just read, this is looking like a $250-$450 mod, and worth it in terms of performance and economy gains. Does this sound right?

Can someone give me a beginners explanation of the pully (crank pulley?) what it does, what it costs to upgrade, and why I might want to do it?

I've heard talk about removing the intake resonator, but then NikFu said to get a resonator. Do I have a resonator? If so, what does removing it do? NikFu, is redoing the exhaust system with a resonator, hi-flow cat and new muffler a real cost effective performance/reliability booster, or is it more of an ethusiast treat? Aren't alternators *really* expensive?

Suspension seems like something I should not mess with. My impression is that it is expensive and involved to replace, and that the stock suspension is pretty darn good. Is this correct?

Is there anything major I'm missing here?

Thanks again guys!
-Jessie

Last edited by grae313; 06-26-2005 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-26-2005, 05:17 PM
KCROGUEDOG

the suspention is great on the car. but me i want to set a little lower on stiffer springs. (new coils) to make the ride height even. (if u cant tell the front end is higher than the back). and my struts are all shot so the koni replacement is perfect to do both at same time. sway bar wise front and back i am eventually going to replace. im not sure on our rides but on allot of others stock they are hollow and flex to easy. mych can build these im sure solid fatter and stiffer front and rear.
Old 06-26-2005, 05:20 PM
KCROGUEDOG

two different resonators one on the exhuast system and one on intake in fender. remove the one on the intake in the fender for a little better sound. looks like a saxiphone and is there to quiet the air flow down and add weight. i removed mine before i made my real intake. and as for exhuast mine looks nothing like yours.