IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-06-2004, 06:30 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by oab_au
Matt when you cleaned the breathers at the camcovers, did you clean the passagers, where the hoses connect to the air box in front of the throttle bodies? Thats where I think it would block.

Harvey.
Those were coated lightly with oil - I blew them out with an airgun. I also noticed oil inside the intake boot below the openings for the throttle bodies - I put the intake upright for a few hours to get all the oil to run to one part and then cleaned it out with a paper towel.
I didn't think to clean out the actual hose connecting the cam cover breathers to the intake. I'll have to check those next time.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369
Just changed my PVC today also, but I took it loose with a deep well socket, First I removed the covers, then the intake tube, then I took the throttle body loose, which allowed me to get a 3/8" breaker bar with a 19mm deep well(I accually used a 3/4" socket), after breaking it loose put the socket on a 3/8" ratchet and took it right out.
I don't see how you guys did it without taking off the throttle body off

This is what I eventually had to do. The crows foot wouldn't get it. The bent 19mm wrench wouldn't get it either. Due to the mileage on my car I would bet that this was the first time it was changed. After I got the valve off I felt the hole it came out of and pieces of some kind of sealant were sticking out. As far as getting the new valve to thread I just stuck it in a shorter 3/4 socket and got it started by hand. It was back on in a jiffy. Now to put the throttle body and hoses back on.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:21 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybaris
This is what I eventually had to do. The crows foot wouldn't get it. The bent 19mm wrench wouldn't get it either. Due to the mileage on my car I would bet that this was the first time it was changed. After I got the valve off I felt the hole it came out of and pieces of some kind of sealant were sticking out. As far as getting the new valve to thread I just stuck it in a shorter 3/4 socket and got it started by hand. It was back on in a jiffy. Now to put the throttle body and hoses back on.
You're right about the sealant, I think it's lock-tite. I just did mine today and it was a piece of cake, once you get the angle of the crows foot right. The wrench can also be used as a hook under the hose to pull it back onto the valve.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 05-07-2005, 04:45 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Probably flakes of corrosion instead of sealant. Dissimilar metals in contact with one another promote corrosion. It can appear dark, like rust or light like battery terminal corrosion. If you install the new valve with teflon tape and don't over-tighten it (baring the threads into contacting the aluminum) the next time will be very easy.