Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-19-2004, 09:25 AM
snik

band adjustment

Hi everyone,

So I was armed w/ a 17mm wrench, determined to do the brake band adjustment, and 3 hrs later, I was still cursing and yelling so much that it would put a pirate to shame.

So I figure, who cares, I will pay the labour and get it done.. fast forward to this morning..

what is wrong w/ mechanics in Toronto? I call them and I say "Hi, I would like the brake band on my SVX adjusted, is this something you are able to do today?" All of them want to send me to a tranny specialty shop so they can test drive my car and tell me the problem. I don't want to know the problem.. I know the problem,... this thing needs to be adjusted as per 2 page instructions I have printed from Subaru factory manuals. Some proceed to tell me it is a sealed unit and non-adjustable, and that factory service manual is wrong!!! Idiots!!!

I went as far as saying, what do you charge hourly? Ok I will pay you 1 hr for a 30 min job, I will give you a 2 page print out... can you follow these directions and do this? To my surprise, they have a cosuin's uncle's brother's wife's husband who is a tranny expert and been building trannies since he was 4 years old, and that he is the best to look at it!!!!

I call some other ones, and they say sure we can do it... and I say, ok, I am coming down, so just to confirm, you have a hoist available to do it now.. they say, sure, come in we will drive your car and diagnose it with a computer and tell you what the issue is!!!!

Am I speaking Greek when I say the above? When I tell them I dont want a test drive done, I dont want a disgnostic check done, just do the adjustment as per this sheet and if my problem is still there, dont worry, its not your fault... then they say, ok, come down and leave the car w/ me. I then ask, if I leave the car and go away, do you know how to do the adjustment... they say, yes, take off the pan and take off the valve body and adjust it!!! Morons!!! When I tell them thats not the way its done as per service manual, and if they can do it in my presence so I can give them instructions, they say no we dont have time today, and dismiss me.

This is so freaking frustrating, how incompetent could some shops be?

I am off today... is there anyone in the GTA I can go see today that can follow instructions and not offer me opinions on what the issue may be?

Thanks
Old 11-21-2004, 03:12 PM
TorG0d

I'm just about to go through the same thing, unfortunately. The guys down at the local '76 station know me and will probably be willing to "give it a shot", if the fact that it's a tranny thing doesn't scare them off, but they've been good to me and my SVX in the past.

Good luck on your endeavor, and I'll let you know how my thing goes.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:57 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
The band adjustment isnt that bad.

Remove the intake boot - youll get much easier access.
Unplug the battery - a wrench on tht starter will make a nice light show if you dont.

Standing in front of the car lay down on top of the engine, you get the easiest access to it that way.

Use the open end of the 17mm - you will only get less than a quarter turn at a time on the bolt.

Use a 8mm or 7mm on the small nut - both will work but a 7mm is a perfect fit.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:15 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I understand your frustration but to be fair they are just protecting themselves. If they don't at least do a test drive and document their findings what would keep a customer from later coming back at them, claiming they screwed up the transmission? No matter what you say or sign it will cost them time in court and possibly a transmission. To a shop owner, a customer's diagnosis and request is a sucker bet. The court will say to the shop owner, "You're supposed to know more than the customer, that's why he/she came to you." Sorry, but that is the way it works. You are now also at disadvantage due to the nature of the actions of many unscrupulous customers. Just like shoplifting, insurance fraud,....
Old 11-22-2004, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
I understand your frustration but to be fair they are just protecting themselves. If they don't at least do a test drive and document their findings what would keep a customer from later coming back at them, claiming they screwed up the transmission? ...snip....
Amen...Years ago my Dad took on a job that had just this sort of effect. A customer overheated an engine so bad it siezed. They refused to let him test the car, insisting on a parts house provided rebuilt engine and labor only to be paid. Well, it turned out this was an automatic car, and the tremendous overheating had warped a few internal tranny parts. Even though my Dad had the customer signed work authorization, he still had to pay for a lawyer...