How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-08-2004, 03:53 PM
tablu

steering/smoke problem

I have a problem. My car smokes, and it smokes a lot. Well mostly when I accelerate hard on the freeway. I believe that the smoke is coming from the steering rack and dripping fluid onto the exhaust. I replaced the two rubber o-rings on the return hoses myself and hoped that would solve the problem. It didn't. In fact I think it may smoke more now than it did before. And now I'm starting a job on tuesday and need a way to get around LA. Is it likely that the entire rack is bad or could it just be a bad seal? Is there a common problem other than the o-rings that may be causing the leak? If I had a rack and the time to switch it out I would but that is no longer an option. Does anyone have any advice to give or reccomendations of what to do next? Thanks for any help you can offer.
Regards,
Scott
Old 07-08-2004, 11:35 PM
JLittell

Sounds like a rack leak. I had the same thing happen to me. There are rebuild kits but they are a pain to install. I would mess with trying to fix it. You'll more than likely need to replace it. Look in my locker under "other Images" and see if you can compare the drip points coming from beneath.

Last edited by JLittell; 07-08-2004 at 11:38 PM.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:23 PM
tablu

PS Leak

The leak is coming from the driver side boot (i think). I originally thought it was leaking from the hose fittings (o-rings) but that was apparently not the only place. It seems that the best fix for the problem would be to buy a rebuilt rack from SVX Motorsports for $345 and have a good shop throw it in. Does anyone know what this repair would cost? I'm in LA and want to get it done next week. Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

Scott
Old 07-17-2004, 04:47 PM
HITTN1

This is the exact same problem I'm having!!! My car has been smoking like crazy only from the drivers side.

I can look down through the engine bay and see power steering fluid on the exhaust but can't exactly tell where it is coming from. I've checked the power steering fluid and have had no loss in a couple of months!!

My car started to smoke a couple of months ago but just recently my "steering" light came on suddenly and I almost completly lost power steering!! Still drivable but it is like driving a 50's vehicle!! I need to get this fixed before I go to college.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:38 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
If it's on the driver's side then it's probably coming from the transmission lines going to/from the radiator.
Old 07-19-2004, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
If it's on the driver's side then it's probably coming from the transmission lines going to/from the radiator.
And leaking transmission fluid would be very, very bad...

dcb
Old 07-19-2004, 06:48 PM
Live it, Love it, Breathe it

Send a message via Yahoo to SVX-FF
Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
I had that problem when I first bought my car. It took me about 2 hours to fiv it but it was fun. The easiest way to get to the two tranny hoses is by removing the started. Good access that way. It should only cost about $15.00 Get yourself about 1 foot of tranny hose and 4 new clamps, some beer and tunes. It is a good weekend fix job.

Steve

SVXepidia SVX information warehouse
Are you in?

My Old Locker

A 4.11 Founding Father
"Tranny #6" I really need a manual

Reading IX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya I was there
Old 07-19-2004, 08:31 PM
The name's...

Send a message via AIM to Whoru465
I actually just fixed my disintegrated tranny lines last week. Like you said, not difficult, if a little messy. I used copper line to replace the rotted steel. Worked nicely But make sure you have a few of those little hose clamps ready. The buggers like to to break...

-Mike