Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 12-27-2003, 06:25 AM

Don, my b/f has a MG...it is a cute little thing. about 30 minutes from me is a guy that has like 20 or so of them at his garage...they are cool little cars

he also has a SVT Cobra

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 12-27-2003, 11:22 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Quote:
Originally posted by kayvon
SVXphile

I have to agree with you about svt focus. For the price you can get one. The amount standard options supplied, you can't go wrong. My brother has a 03 and it is very fun to drive. I would never consider a standard focus, but the SVT seams to be in class of itself. Here are some PICs

http://www.sounddomain.com/id/kams_svt
That is a sweet SVT, kayvon! One question though after looking at your pics. What is with the custom intake in your console? Is it so you can suck cool air-conditioned air on those hot summer days? How do you deal with the howl of the intake?

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 12-27-2003, 12:20 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
I will not engage in trashing nameplates for the simple reason that EVERY company can make 300k miles winners and lemons on the same production line.

Agreed, though it seems some companies have entire lines dedicated to producing only lemons. Like ford. I cannot tell you how many Focci (plural of focus hahaha) came back to the dealer for really stupid service (like your chip) multiple times in the two months i worked there, and how different things were at the pontiac dealer (for the two months i worked there). That's a real eye opener. Until that point I looked at Ford and GM as equals in reliability. I just always liked GM better because of the overall picture. Now i like GM better cause they make a more reliable vehicle. Same goes for the trucks. My dad has owned countless Fords and at one point was even used to the problems they have. Then he bought his first silverado and couldn't believe how well it held up. Now he buys nothing but GMCs. His most recent "old truck" was a 1996 Yukon. The truck went to the shop once for a seat belt recall. Other than that it NEVER NEEDED ANYTHING. Yeah, imagine that.

This is a really abbreviated comment because I am busy today.
Old 12-27-2003, 01:44 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Various

Kayvon....Beautiful Focus! Like CigarJohnny, I was a bit curious about the filter on the shifter...

Kelli....My best friend in high school had an MGB, and we "cut our teeth" on sports cars with it in the mountains of East Tennessee and Western North Carolina. All British sports cars of that era had problems....but they didn't outweigh the joy of the driving experience. It was fun sticking to the tail of a SS396 or 440 Six Pack through the mountains, where superior grip (not to mention, superior DRIVING ABILITY ) made up for massive horsepower. Drove muscle car drivers crazy! I had a Austin Healey Sprite, MG Midget, and Triumph Spitfire (like Aredub!) before going Japanese. I miss the top-down motoring, but I don't miss the repairs!

If ANY motor corporation sets up an operation such as Ford has done with SVT, and let motorheads do their thing, a true sporting product will result. Chrysler has one....PVO or something like that....that has done the SRT-4, and that little car is stunning quite a few folks at the traffic light Grand Prix. Even Mercedes has AMG, BMW has Dinan etc. etc. Caddy is coming out with a hot version of the CTS. Look what Subie did with my wife's humble Impreza! (WRX - STi) Maybe all big companies need a specialty division, or separate line, to turn decent cars into great ones. I was stunned to go to my first Mercedes Club autocross at Winchester, and see how great the SVT Cobras ran. I expected blazing straight line performance; what I didn't expect was how they did in the corners! When SVT finally gets their hands on a MODERN chassis for that car....

PS The SVT was discounted 2k and I got 0%!

For some pics of our recent trip, click on "Christmas Trip" http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?SVXphile

Drive safe over New Years folks! Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"

Last edited by SVXphile; 12-27-2003 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-27-2003, 08:19 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Wink Re: Various

I miss the top-down motoring, but I don't miss the repairs!

If ANY motor corporation sets up an operation such as Ford has done with SVT, and let motorheads do their thing, a true sporting product will result.

...... with visions of sugarplums & an SVT Miata to you, Don.

Ron (Happy Neuyear).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:25 AM
Certified Porschephile

As for the svt focus

So the ram air hood scoop in the center of the hood feeds the air intake on the drivers side???????? Or is it a dummy scoop like the mustang has all over the place. Fake rear brake scoops???? Come on ford, give us a break!!!
Old 12-29-2003, 01:12 PM
British Car Junky

Send a message via AIM to EveryShadeofBlue Send a message via Yahoo to EveryShadeofBlue
80's Crown Vics

I haven't read every post in this long discussion, but I haven't seen a mention of 1980's Crown Victorias. Those things were like tanks and I still see them all over the place here in FL. Even Consumer Reports gave them better than average reliability. My parents had an '86 Wagon that ran like a champ up to the 125K they sold it. Only problems I remember it having were a U joint and A/C.

The Crown Vics were/are? built in CANADA and it seems that Ford Canada had its act together more.

Jeff
Old 12-29-2003, 03:06 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Re: Various

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXphile
I miss the top-down motoring, but I don't miss the repairs!

Drive safe over New Years folks! Don [/B]

Don,

Try a Miata. My friend a work has one. I've driven it. It's a Japanese version of the early British sports cars; ie.. all the fun & no repairs.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 12-31-2003, 08:28 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Hood scoops and ducts

Those parts are not standard on the SVT Focus by the way.
Customizing goes WAY back though...

Ron/Larry:
The Miata is an excellent replacement for the old British sports cars. Unfortunately, it just isn't a practical car for me anymore.
I would like to take one for a spin down the Blue Ridge Parkway in the fall...

Happy New Year everyone! Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: