SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-03-2003, 04:00 PM
ex SVX owner - still keen tho

Rattles and 3M spray

Quote:
Originally posted by DavieGravy

Yep, that's what I bought. 3M. One last question though, where exactly should I spray it on the dash? For instance, one of the worst dash rattles I have comes from under the gauge panel. Should I just spray it in all the cracks and not worry about it seeping over the surrounding area?
Thanks.
I know this is an old thread, but after doing a search here sounds like a good point to pick up on it ..how did you go with the spraying to stop the plastics popping and rattling against each other in the dash doors etc, I have a 3/95 build car that rattles a lot and I knocked back a 93 build car because of its rattles only to find that mine has a few unless i'm driving carpet style freeways..but in Oz must of our local roads have lots imperfections which my SVX amplifies, and this was even before I changed my wheels to 18s from the originals

Regards
David [I just want hear the motor and the music nothing else ]
Old 08-03-2003, 05:25 PM

Re: Rattles and 3M spray

Quote:
Originally posted by grnSVX96

I know this is an old thread, but after doing a search here sounds like a good point to pick up on it ..how did you go with the spraying to stop the plastics popping and rattling against each other in the dash doors etc, I have a 3/95 build car that rattles a lot and I knocked back a 93 build car because of its rattles only to find that mine has a few unless i'm driving carpet style freeways..but in Oz must of our local roads have lots imperfections which my SVX amplifies, and this was even before I changed my wheels to 18s from the originals

Regards
David [I just want hear the motor and the music nothing else ]
My rattle problem has improved slightly, but I'm still dissatisfied. In fact, it's driving me insane. Our local roads here in Colorado probably aren't much better than yours.

As far as spraying, I just took a can of the stuff and sprayed it in every visible crevice. If I got excess anywhere, I simply wiped it up with a tissue. I'm not sure how much this really helped but it's worth a shot and I don't think you'll hurt anything.

A couple things that really helped me though were padding the locks (which destroyed my actuator ) and placing rubber washers under the screws for the armrests (mine were cracked).

Another thing to look at is under the plastic casing around the back of the steering wheel. This probably isn't the case with you but I had some missing/mismatched screws in this area. I did my best with it and it seemed to improve the problem slightly.

The biggest problem area seems to be the top of the dash. If I pound my fist amongst the bare area, I can hear tons of rattles. Not sure how to get under there though. Seems like one would have to take the whole thing apart.

What I'd REALLY LOVE to do is soften my overly hard suspension. It's so hard I feel like I'm running on wooden rims. Other SVXs don't seem to be like this for some reason.

Dave.
Old 08-04-2003, 03:46 AM
ex SVX owner - still keen tho

Rattles more

i'm going to check out my rattles taking into a/c your hints, I can drive around with my 19yr old son upside down and in and around the interior searching out the noises and we'll see what we can do..
My main areas are the back shelf, the doors and around the steering wheel...I thought that some of the noises could be associated with the after mkt alarm they fitted to the cars in Oz, the wiring seems pretty crappy and for the stuff I can see and touch its just flopping around metal and plastic not tied into any other wiring that it follows..

Any way I'll see how I go, thanks for your tips

David R