Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-12-2003, 05:52 PM

Smile Door locks working again

I thought maybe I'd offer a round-up of what happened to get my door locks working. Mostly so others won't repeat all the dumb things I did.

Original problem: Parked my car, couldn't get it to lock. Drove once more and it did lock, but unfortunately now it wouldn't unlock the driver's door. Got in through the passenger side. Got myself home and through aimless messing around, got the driver's side door unlocked - not sure what combo of things did this. Took apart the door lock assembly and disconnected the door lock motor from the physical locking part - driver's door now on manual only. Next day passenger side won't unlock. Same aimless messing around and I get it open. Do same as driver's door, i.e., disconnect lock motor from lock assembly.

Here's dumb thing #1: Could have just unplugged the door lock timer to de-energize the motors and not have to have taken them out of the doors and messed with the motor mechanism (lucky I didn't break anything).

Mess around with schematic Beav kindly sends me and testing out voltage/resistance values. Convince myself it's the door lock assembly itself and arrange for a used part. That part doesn't work, but the seller (Wawazat) is kind enough to refund me my cash minus shipping.

Dumb thing #2: Realize that all my testing was done with the door open and even though I had pushed the latch mechanism in one click, I failed to get the second click so all my testing is worthless. Hint, look at the interior light, if the door latch has completely closed the light will be off.

Take out the glove box and test the door response to pulses at the door lock timer. All seems well. Get a used door lock timer from elninoalex and finally install today. Everything is working - I am happy again.

Now I just need to get a security/keyless entry box (that never did work), but I'm going to go aftermarket, lifetime warranty, etc....
Old 03-13-2003, 05:11 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

This is good information. Thanks