How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-06-2003, 08:18 PM

transfer clutch

Hey,

Has anyone had their transfer clutch fixed or replaced? If so how much did it cost to me done?

Thanks,

Roger
Old 03-06-2003, 08:25 PM
alacrity024

I think I paid around $650 when mine went..

just so we're talking about the same thing.. I had no AWD.. my car was permanantly FWD but the little FWD light on the dash did NOT illuminate..

-adam
Old 03-06-2003, 08:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
I think I paid a little over $700 when mine was replaced 3 years ago by Aamco.

KuoH
Old 03-07-2003, 04:48 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

$900 for the Subaru dealer to replace them last year.
Old 03-07-2003, 10:46 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

My transfer valve was bad and the clutches were okay. I did the replacement myself.
Old 03-07-2003, 11:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
quick question for you svx-commuter...are you a mechanic or did you teach yourself what you know about cars and what not???just curious cause i looked in your locker and saw the pics of the engine pull and everything and was wondering how hard this car is to work on really if you are teaching yourself but are somewhat mechanically inclined??thanks for any help truly appreciate it
Old 03-07-2003, 01:02 PM

are these the "symptoms?"

Hey,

I not even sure if that what I need replaced but I think it is. What is happeing is that starting and stopping the car shakes a bit and going around sharp turns slowly makes it shake real bad. Is that what was happening to you too?

Roger
Old 03-07-2003, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by want-a-fast-svx
quick question for you svx-commuter...are you a mechanic or did you teach yourself what you know about cars and what not???just curious cause i looked in your locker and saw the pics of the engine pull and everything and was wondering how hard this car is to work on really if you are teaching yourself but are somewhat mechanically inclined??thanks for any help truly appreciate it
I have been teaching myself what I know about Subaru's. I have 3 of them now 92 svx, 91 leg, 97 obs and they are all similar. I have been doing my own work to save money and I like to take things apart and put them back together with as few parts left over as is practical.

I am mechanically inclined as I am a Mechanical Engineer but you know what I learned from working on cars? Don't hurt yourself. It actually takes a lot of coordination to be a mechanic or you bust yourself up pretty fast. I use ruber gloves now as they help alot.

I have worked on a few other cars, Chevy vans, Toyota Corrolla ford Pinto, I have done a few head gaskets and rebuilt a few carberators and sometimes can't spell for poop.

I do like to work on the Subaru's as I think they were made to work on but I have not worked on enough cars to say if they are the easiest or okay or what is better. I look at working on a car as an adventure and a test of pyshical stamina and patientence.

I like the rust proofing on the Subaru's as I think they will last a long time as long as the salt is kept out of them.

Well I have learned from books and doing but I have learned a lot more by asking how to on this site.
Old 03-07-2003, 08:13 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
I like the rust proofing on the Subaru's as I think they will last a long time as long as the salt is kept out of them.
I think that excludes the Rusty...errr...Justy

btw...my Justy hits 300,000km in about 1-2 weeks!!
Old 03-08-2003, 08:06 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter

I like to take things apart and put them back together with as few parts left over as is practical.

I am mechanically inclined as I am a Mechanical Engineer
Did they teach you not to have parts left over while you were at University John?

Todd
Old 03-10-2003, 07:22 AM

Not much of a hands on college, the subject never came up. I have learned that to talk with assembly people you have to know how parts feel when they go together. So I keep on doing things on my own. I have been designing rotating pumps for 25 years and a little hands-on goes a long way.