Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > ECU Tune Projects

Old 04-12-2015, 10:45 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
I guess I jumped to a few conclusions there. Typical me.

I see now that you have changed your domain and I read that my Stage 2v7 chip may be out of date. Is there a newer version available?

I am interested in acquiring one of your diagnostic cables for use with your software or EvoScan.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:58 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Re: ECUtuner software and Select Monitor Interface

Ya, 2v7 is even before the ECUtune "aggressive" versions. It was kind of a big deal to get rid of the need for the ECU to learn how much advance to run. Starting with the aggressive versions we ran performance timing in the primary ignition table. It makes a big difference. It gives you more power and fuel economy at the same time; how often do you get that?

Send me an email and I'll get you set up.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:42 PM

Hi, bought the ECUtuner software and select monitor interface from Small Cars Performance, but I cannot get the program to run. Are there any web links that I can go to to troubleshoot the software? Tried some of the links here, but they don't seem to work.

Please help.

Roy
Old 09-24-2015, 05:54 PM
Just some dude.

Hey Roy,

What Operating system are you running? 32 bit? 64 bit? (only works on 32 bit)
Do you have the correct ftdi cable installed with the d2xx drivers? (has to be the 5v cable)

What exactly is it doing?
Old 10-02-2015, 09:20 AM
Just some dude.

Hey Roy, do you have it up and running?
Old 03-16-2017, 11:48 AM

First post, and thread bump from the grave! Sorry... I can't think of a better way to ask if anyone here still has a copy of the ECUtuner software sitting in a folder or on a USB stick somewhere, since ecutune.com (and thus the only online copy of the software I can find reference to) seems to have gone down permanently; The domain's landing page is a blank page, and direct links to /ecutuner.htm result in a 404 error.

Anyone mirroring it? *Fingers crossed*

I really wanna fiddle with my car...

Thanks!
-Mark
1994 Polo Green SVX LSi : 28x,xxx KMs - 4.44 4EAT, Mazdaspeed3 18x7" wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sports, full custom stainless mandrel hi-flow catted Magnaflow exhaust, drilled front rotors, Russel braided lines, EGR/AC/spare deletes, power mode switch, JDM base tune, etc. Lots more to come...
Old 03-16-2018, 04:54 PM
Just some dude.

Do you have an ecutuner interface & matching ftdi
TTL-232R-5V cable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyphur View Post
First post, and thread bump from the grave! Sorry... I can't think of a better way to ask if anyone here still has a copy of the ECUtuner software sitting in a folder or on a USB stick somewhere, since ecutune.com (and thus the only online copy of the software I can find reference to) seems to have gone down permanently; The domain's landing page is a blank page, and direct links to /ecutuner.htm result in a 404 error.

Anyone mirroring it? *Fingers crossed*

I really wanna fiddle with my car...

Thanks!
-Mark
Old 03-16-2018, 05:26 PM

OH MY GOODNESS! I was literally just thinking about you! Well, in all honesty I was thinking about finding a way to be able to use the new MAF and injectors that have been taunting me everytime I go near my bench in the garage... then thought about writing you another email (I've sent a number of them over the past few months! Did you get any of them? I'm really wondering now whether they ever made it to you at all, or somehow got lost in the tubez along the way. I used your usfwalden address as listed on the subiechips site, and elsewhere here.)

Anyway! You're here now, so I'll take advantage of this opportunity...

In my e-mails (and a message and thread reply on here, which you may be reading now, come to think of it) I had asked you about the z32/yellowtop tune's availability as I'm interesting in buying. I have an old-style 8-bit ECU memory adapter running in the car now with B3lha's modified '94 JDM base tune on it (necessitated by my EGR delete), and I'm wondering if it would be possible to buy the tune without repurchasing hardware (or chips) that I've already built/have...?

I'm still very much interested in acquiring this performance tune. PayPal is standing by

To answer your question, I don't have precisely that cable or the ECUtune interface (I made my own using, if memory recalls, a MAX232 chip - it was essentially a re-purposed serial interface that I'd made to fiddle with DSL modem firmware flashing many years ago), but I have successfully used some of the software listed over at alcyone.org.uk to read data from the ECU using this cable that I wired up to the pins in the car's plug. I can get live data with the engine running, things like RPM,throttle position (which was handy to adjust the TPS easily), etc. So I know the interface works, for that much anyway.

With that said, I'm fully prepared to pull the trigger on the real FTDI cable if I can get my hands on the software that requires it and/or if it would make sense to have it along with the tune mentioned above...

I believe I sent my contact information to you via PM (and e-mail). If you could get back to me via e-mail concerning availability of this tune, we can discuss further and figure out payment details that way.

Thanks!

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname View Post
Do you have an ecutuner interface & matching ftdi
TTL-232R-5V cable?
1994 Polo Green SVX LSi : 28x,xxx KMs - 4.44 4EAT, Mazdaspeed3 18x7" wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sports, full custom stainless mandrel hi-flow catted Magnaflow exhaust, drilled front rotors, Russel braided lines, EGR/AC/spare deletes, power mode switch, JDM base tune, etc. Lots more to come...
Old 03-16-2018, 05:59 PM
Just some dude.

Well I'm afraid you won't be able to use any of the stuff you built yourself but I could sell you a memory adapter with the yellow top/z32 firmware and an ecutuner interface.

Of course I do have to remind you that you do need to have a laptop with a 32 bit version of windows and all the requisite versions of .net installed (that's old ones) for the ecutuner software to work. I haven't touched this software in a long time...it's old. And you do have to get the ftdi TTL-232R-5V and install the d2xx drivers. The ecutuner software writes directly to the d2xx drivers; it does not use a virtual serial port or serial port.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyphur View Post
OH MY GOODNESS! I was literally just thinking about you! Well, in all honesty I was thinking about finding a way to be able to use the new MAF and injectors that have been taunting me everytime I go near my bench in the garage... then thought about writing you another email (I've sent a number of them over the past few months! Did you get any of them? I'm really wondering now whether they ever made it to you at all, or somehow got lost in the tubez along the way. I used your usfwalden address as listed on the subiechips site, and elsewhere here.)

Anyway! You're here now, so I'll take advantage of this opportunity...

In my e-mails (and a message and thread reply on here, which you may be reading now, come to think of it) I had asked you about the z32/yellowtop tune's availability as I'm interesting in buying. I have an old-style 8-bit ECU memory adapter running in the car now with B3lha's modified '94 JDM base tune on it (necessitated by my EGR delete), and I'm wondering if it would be possible to buy the tune without repurchasing hardware (or chips) that I've already built/have...?

I'm still very much interested in acquiring this performance tune. PayPal is standing by

To answer your question, I don't have precisely that cable or the ECUtune interface (I made my own using, if memory recalls, a MAX232 chip - it was essentially a re-purposed serial interface that I'd made to fiddle with DSL modem firmware flashing many years ago), but I have successfully used some of the software listed over at alcyone.org.uk to read data from the ECU using this cable that I wired up to the pins in the car's plug. I can get live data with the engine running, things like RPM,throttle position (which was handy to adjust the TPS easily), etc. So I know the interface works, for that much anyway.

With that said, I'm fully prepared to pull the trigger on the real FTDI cable if I can get my hands on the software that requires it and/or if it would make sense to have it along with the tune mentioned above...

I believe I sent my contact information to you via PM (and e-mail). If you could get back to me via e-mail concerning availability of this tune, we can discuss further and figure out payment details that way.

Thanks!

Mark
Old 03-16-2018, 06:58 PM

Hm, I'm not sure I follow why I wouldn't be able to use what I've already got (it's the alcyone.org.uk memory adapter. I had the board professionally produced using ExpressPCB) ... Isn't it simply an interface between a ROM chip and the ECU? And as such, wouldn't they have to function fundamentally the same given the ECU is expecting the device plugged into the expansion socket to function a particular way? Wouldn't I simply be able to burn the tune's ROM (.bin file) to my chips? I have a Moates Burn2 programmer that I used to load the modified JDM base tune onto my chips. I'd assumed the same would hold true for your tune...

Although, if there's another reason I'm missing such as an incompatibility between the different chips (old-vs-new), and I can't go forth with what I have, then I guess I'm stuck and only have one option - buy everything over again and somehow sell what I've got. I hope this isn't the reality I'm facing, because I have a decent amount of money tied up in the hardware that I'll never get back (shipping, tax & duty costs, for instance). Being an unemployed full-time student means I don't have much in the way of extra funds either...

I also had to order three PCBs as a minimum, so I ended up buying the components required to build three adapters, thinking I'd be able to more easily sell the boards if they were ready to drop into the car. I have 6 genuine SST 27SF512 ROM chips in total... if I'm unable to use them, I need to get them onto ebay pronto to help fund the purchase of your updated mem adapter, the FTDI cable, etc.

Thanks for the info though. I may not like hearing it, but it's appreciated.

Also, I've got a number of old laptops I can choose from to use for this purpose. No worries there. I'm a computer technician, so I've got WAY too much in the way of old tech

I'd like to get this underway as soon as possible, so perhaps if you could get back to me by email with pricing, I can get the funds to you right away. Thanks!
Old 03-16-2018, 08:37 PM
Just some dude.

Subiechips are all the same price no matter the programming: $329
The ecutuner interface is $79.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname View Post
Subiechips are all the same price no matter the programming: $329
The ecutuner interface is $79.
I see. Well, that's definitely more than I was hoping to have to spend... After currency conversion, that's $425 CAD. I'm a student, I don't really have that kind of money to spend on automotive non-necessities

I noticed that on the Subiechips site, under the performance chip page, the last option is a "Pair of 8 bit Upgrade/Update ROMs for Subaru SVX Performance chip for 370cc injectors & Z32 air flow meter" priced at $99 USD.

If I'm understanding correctly, this means that the firmware is programmed onto a pair of 27SF512 (or equivalent) ROMs, and doesn't include any ECU memory adapter. This is nearly ideal for me. Even though I don't need the chips (like I said previously, I have 6), $99 USD is definitely easier to manage for me than $329 USD.

If you were willing to sell the yellowtop variant at that price, I could sweeten the deal a bit by saying keep the chips to sell to someone else, save yourself time not having to burn the firmware to them, and instead send the .bin file to me by e-mail to burn my own chips with my programmer, which saves you the hassle of shipping.

I just don't really see the point in spending money on redundant hardware that I already own, you know? If I replace my hardware, I'm left having spent money for nothing.

If it turns out that for some reason the firmware doesn't work with my ROMs / ECU memory adapter combo, I will commit now to purchasing the complete 16-bit kit @ $329 USD (and eat ramen exclusively for a few months to afford it, lol).

I just really don't want the injectors and MAF to have been a waste of money, and I'm looking to achieve better cruising economy (which the subiechips site outlines is one of the benefits due to the base ignition advance). Obviously the added power will be nice, but ultimately I'm eager to see fuel savings on my commute to school and back every day...

What do you say, would you be willing to help me out?
Old 11-23-2018, 10:40 PM
SVX Owner

Registered SVX

Michael Emery, MBA, MS (AKA: longassname);
Hi. Looking for the interface and monitor to do some troubleshooting on my 94 fwd. I have paypal, just need pricing. Can you tell me more about your performance chip also? I have an approximately 50 mi commute, each way, and better performance and fuel economy sounds great.
PM if telephone would work better than messages.
Thanks,
Tom
'99 Outback SUS, 2.5L, Winestone (Burgundy/Gray) [Daughter Killed it]
'02 Outback SUS VDC, 3.0L, Green/Gray [Spouse's; Died at 500,000+]
'18 Legacy w/eyesight, Blue [Spouse's]
'94 Subaru Sambar KS-4, White [Farm UTV]
'94 Ford Ranger Extended Cab, Tomato Red

Last edited by TN_fwdsvx; 11-30-2018 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Attn: Longassname

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: