Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2012, 01:57 AM

Re: Mid Engine SVX concept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'E' View Post
no i just happen to have a set of 05+ hubs that i weighed
What was with the hub did it have the bearings in it and the hub to bolt wheel to or just the outer.
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:03 AM

another option for rear hubs would be to use the hubs off a ba gt falcon, handbrake mechanism is the same, stud pattern is the same and shafts? well a little bit of measuring could be required. you could even use the suspension arms maybe even cannibalise the subframe

be better then chopping up or machining a subaru hub
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gt rear end.jpg (9.4 KB, 262 views)
93 Liquid Silver SVX - sti 6 speed with R180 diff, my05 sti steering wheel, sti alloy lateral links, 19x8.5 275/30 42mm offset front and 19x8.5 275/30 22mm offset on the rear, 6 pot brembo caliper with 355 rotors front, 2 pot brembos rear
95 bright red SVX
96 emerald pearl SVX about to revive
Old 11-13-2012, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
What was with the hub did it have the bearings in it and the hub to bolt wheel to or just the outer.
that was the hub with the bearing pack bolted to it
93 Liquid Silver SVX - sti 6 speed with R180 diff, my05 sti steering wheel, sti alloy lateral links, 19x8.5 275/30 42mm offset front and 19x8.5 275/30 22mm offset on the rear, 6 pot brembo caliper with 355 rotors front, 2 pot brembos rear
95 bright red SVX
Old 11-13-2012, 02:05 AM

by the way i have a gt rear end i dint really want any more and was going to sell on ebay
95 bright red SVX
Old 11-13-2012, 02:13 AM

the ford shafts and bearing come out of the factory with 335kw and weigh over 1800kg so they should handle anything you through at it
95 bright red SVX
Old 11-15-2012, 03:08 AM

Here is a PDF of the rough suspension layout bottom laterial arm has to come from the front of the subframe so as to clear the exhaust on the heads.
Have designed up new uprights that have a number of advantages, they take a bigger bearing 4 times stronger then our existing units, are 3kg lighter then the existing unit, enable me to us the front drive shaft and privide point to attach the laterial arms. They are made from steel as the the cost of just the Alum would have been $500 a side, also not sure my design skills are good enough to reduce the safety factor that far.

As alway the PDF are 3d
Tony
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Main Upright 80mm bearing.pdf (324.9 KB, 297 views)
File Type: pdf Rear Suspension Assebly.pdf (1.44 MB, 281 views)
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:36 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Here is a PDF of the rough suspension layout bottom laterial arm has to come from the front of the subframe so as to clear the exhaust on the heads.
Have designed up new uprights that have a number of advantages, they take a bigger bearing 4 times stronger then our existing units, are 3kg lighter then the existing unit, enable me to us the front drive shaft and privide point to attach the laterial arms. They are made from steel as the the cost of just the Alum would have been $500 a side, also not sure my design skills are good enough to reduce the safety factor that far.

As alway the PDF are 3d
Tony
Tony,

Looks good! What are you using as your FS in this design, 2x? 3x?

Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 11-16-2012, 04:08 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:

As alway the PDF are 3d
Tony
I guess you have changed the concept of the suspension from the original strut, to top and bottom A arms. This places all the drive and braking forces on the lower A arms, as you can't use a training link to take those forces.

Where are you going to mount the spring/damper units?

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
Tony,

Looks good! What are you using as your FS in this design, 2x? 3x?

Bill
Bill not sure what you ment by "FS".

So guys the design has evolved, I have been searching for just the right bearing/bush/rod end for the arm pivot points, also got up this morning thinking the easist thing was to stick with the current suspemsion. When I looked at it stuffing around with the trailing arm seemed a waste of time, also I am conviniced that its there to help with the inherant understeer of our cars. The mid engine car won't have that issue, also I need to be able to advance the suspenion design over time so I need flexiability.
I crossed off rubber bush for the arms early in the project and have looked at what everyone else is using.

It seems the most comon is spherical bearings are the go, I have used these at work and they just can't stand a lot of load, I am sure they would be okay short term but long term forget it. Looked at rod ends and they just won't last, so I moved onto double row angular contact ball bearing, drama there is the ID options were 12mm or 17mm also while good would require 2 per pivot point.

So were am I at I found a AG bearing that is double row roller but 44mm wide in the centre 39 outter has build in seals to protect from dirt 16ID & 40OD. Its just perfect for the job. Its the largest in the photo.

Quote:
I guess you have changed the concept of the suspension from the original strut, to top and bottom A arms. This places all the drive and braking forces on the lower A arms, as you can't use a training link to take those forces.

Where are you going to mount the spring/damper units?

Harvey
Well Harvey I have moved on as I say above, now its a rigid arm like the front suspension only the inboard pivot points are 480mm apart as opposed to 220mm. In the short term the hub stays the same just need to make sure I can mod it to install the larger bearing. The mcpherson strut stays, later as I get more time I will remove the strut and go to a laterial top arm. For now this is the quickest option. When I go to the top arm the spring damper will be inboard with a 90 degree leaver system.
Haven't redone the cad but will and then repost it.
Have a great day all.

Tony

Last edited by Dessertrunner; 11-16-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:26 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX

Quote:
Bill not sure what you ment by "FS".

So guys the design has evolved, I have been searching for just the right bearing/bush/rod end for the arm pivot points, also got up this morning thinking the easist thing was to stick with the current suspemsion. When I looked at it stuffing around with the trailing arm seemed a waste of time, also I am conviniced that its there to help with the inherant understeer of our cars. The mid engine car won't have that issue, also I need to be able to advance the suspenion design over time so I need flexiability.
I crossed off rubber bush for the arms early in the project and have looked at what everyone else is using.

It seems the most comon is spherical bearings are the go, I have used these at work and they just can't stand a lot of load, I am sure they would be okay short term but long term forget it. Looked at rod ends and they just won't last, so I moved onto double row angular contact ball bearing, drama there is the ID options were 12mm or 17mm also while good would require 2 per pivot point.

So were am I at I found a AG bearing that is double row roller but 44mm wide in the centre 39 outter has build in seals to protect from dirt 16ID & 40OD. Its just perfect for the job. Its the largest in the photo.

Well Harvey I have moved on as I say above, now its a rigid arm like the front suspension only the inboard pivot points are 480mm apart as opposed to 220mm. In the short term the hub stays the same just need to make sure I can mod it to install the larger bearing. The mcpherson strut stays, later as I get more time I will remove the strut and go to a laterial top arm. For now this is the quickest option. When I go to the top arm the spring damper will be inboard with a 90 degree leaver system.

have a great day all.
Tony
Haven't redone the cad but will and then repost it.

Tony
When you get away from the struts, a good solution may be to use a longitudinal setup with the pushrods, like current f1 practice. This leaves room around the engine for maintenance.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:25 AM

Check out this video on that factory five car that was mentioned earlier. One of the first things I noticed was how they converted the stock sti uprights to a double wishbone suspension with a bolt on adapter.

http://youtu.be/uN_jVWlSPmk

Might be worth considering.

Last edited by smc; 11-17-2012 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Cant figure out how to imbed a bloody youtube video
Old 11-17-2012, 09:24 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Tony,

FS = Factor of Safety

Cheers,

Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 11-19-2012, 02:03 PM

Sorry Bill missed the reply,

Your point is correct, I will tell you what has happened to my rear suspension on the SVX then I need to take on board your suggestion and my past experiance and find a happy point to the two of them.

2 years ago I jumped the SVX over a channel/bridge, in other words was driving so fast that instead of just going over and down the bridge the car left the ground and we maybe went 30metre through the air before hitting the ground. Okay no big deal we do it pretty regularly. This time we had a slight problem, the bolt in the trailing arm on the back either broke or fell out so when we landed the wheel was floating forward and back. Now this was a bit of a pain but there was not sharp things in the wheel well so the tyre just hit the back and made a lot of noise. We were able to drive the next 10k carfully but we got there.

Even more years back we were in the centre of Australia and I had rebushed the back laterial arms a couple of years before but didn't realize that this had weaked the link. Were were flogging the absoluate hell on a dirt road when suddenly the handling went nuts. Anyway found we broke the inside bush holder of the laterial link. THe fun part was that we then had to drive 700k to get it fixed. It moved around a lot but still did stop me.

So your point is correct I need the new suspension design to be able to brake something and not kill me. So I will have to give this a bit more thought.

Tony
Old 11-19-2012, 03:08 PM

Harvey why did you ask about Trailing link are youc concerned the suspenion won't be strong enough as I suggest it should be?
Tony
Old 11-19-2012, 03:20 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Sorry Bill missed the reply,

Your point is correct, I will tell you what has happened to my rear suspension on the SVX then I need to take on board your suggestion and my past experiance and find a happy point to the two of them.

2 years ago I jumped the SVX over a channel/bridge, in other words was driving so fast that instead of just going over and down the bridge the car left the ground and we maybe went 30metre through the air before hitting the ground. Okay no big deal we do it pretty regularly. This time we had a slight problem, the bolt in the trailing arm on the back either broke or fell out so when we landed the wheel was floating forward and back. Now this was a bit of a pain but there was not sharp things in the wheel well so the tyre just hit the back and made a lot of noise. We were able to drive the next 10k carfully but we got there.

Even more years back we were in the centre of Australia and I had rebushed the back laterial arms a couple of years before but didn't realize that this had weaked the link. Were were flogging the absoluate hell on a dirt road when suddenly the handling went nuts. Anyway found we broke the inside bush holder of the laterial link. THe fun part was that we then had to drive 700k to get it fixed. It moved around a lot but still did stop me.

So your point is correct I need the new suspension design to be able to brake something and not kill me. So I will have to give this a bit more thought.

Tony
Tony,

You must be the Australian version of the Dukes of Hazard!!

Bill

My Locker