Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Engine Management

Old 08-17-2009, 04:52 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Hydra Nemesis

I replied to your PM. Make sure you have not pinched off the vacuum line at any point. Also, the air temp will always be -4 until you add and air temp sensor. That has nothing to do with the way the car is running right now. I am pretty sure the wiring issues were addressed as I remember looking at your harness before I shipped it to confirm they were changed.

Tom
Old 08-17-2009, 01:14 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX
Thumbs up Re: Hydra Nemesis

That was it! YAY! it fired right up, it was just pinched the way I had it slid up in the stock location just had to slither it over just a bit! It sounds awesome! It seems to run a lot smoother, and doesn't have to idle so high! It for sure seems like the engine is running a lot more efficient.

I can't wait to drive it! When I get more money I'll get that wideband, I just couldn't afford it yet. When I do get it can I connect it to a AFR gauge and Pillar mount it or something? so that when I'm not hooked in to the laptop and just driving I can see what my accurate AFR is???

As far as install, it was pretty damn easy, only issue I had was opening my eyes to find the vacuum line I needed. Its really easy to find just look at the manifold from the front of the car and it's the little one the same size as the blue hydra line on the left side. all I did was take the old line to checker got same size line just slightly longer put it in place of the stock location cut it in the middle and connected the T fitting from the hydra line. I ran it through to the drivers compartment where my hydra was and hooked it up.

The harness is plug and play from the stock harness. Make sure you read the instructions from hydra completely before starting to install though. They are very picky on what they want you to do. Go through it step by step and follow it to a T.

My suggestion for connecting to your laptop is get a PCI Express card Rs232 off ebay(they're cheap) or if you're impatient go out and buy one from best buy or wherever. Before you install it or put it in your computer go into control panel>System>Hardware tab>Device Manager>Ports (COM&LPT) then look at what's there. Then install your express card and see what it comes up as in there. This will help in choosing the COM port in your set up as explained in the hydra manual. I had a little trouble with this just because mine showed up as a usb interface even though it wasn't one.

Everything else is explained in the manual and does a very good job. I definitely recommend this to anyone who is looking to get a quick hp boost and open their doors for tuning and turbos or superchargers or any other sort of advanced modification in the future.

Will post first driving impressions later after I put her back together with the alarm system. I've got a lot to protect now, need an upgrade from the stock system.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:45 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

Did your card come from China?
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 08-17-2009, 09:17 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

I'm not sure i think it might have but it didn't take too long. I selected us only sellers but I think it did end up coming from china.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:04 PM
just trying to fix it!

Registered SVX

Wow!! this is what i've been waiting for!
amazing!. So i have a question.. when you purchase the Hydra does it come with the Software to tune it your self? or do you have to go to a dyno tuner?
now i can finally start the turbo project i've always wanted to do!
Old 08-21-2009, 02:58 AM
Banned

Registered SVX

It comes with the software but unless you are a certified hydra tuner or really know your ishhh i'd have it tuned by a pro. If you're still in salt lake send me a pm and we'll meet up I'll show you mine.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:59 PM
Maniac modifier

Well now that there a couple people besides myself and Kirill with their Hydra's up and running with some positive feedback, I hope anyone who was sceptical about picking one up can feel a little more comfortable now. I just heard from Sicksubie who finally got his car almost done and was finally able to drive it with his Hydra and has experienced the night a day difference over the stock ECU w/ a chip. They are still available and will be for as long as people show an interest in them

Tom
Old 08-29-2009, 05:43 PM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T

I'm starting to consider it since theres a guy talking about putting a deposit on my daily driver and that would give me a good bit of extra cash..And there is no other option readily available. I doubt the base maps are going to benefit me much starting up with huge injectors and low comp though so it would be about the same until I could track down a tuner.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:08 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeL25T View Post
I'm starting to consider it since theres a guy talking about putting a deposit on my daily driver and that would give me a good bit of extra cash..And there is no other option readily available. I doubt the base maps are going to benefit me much starting up with huge injectors and low comp though so it would be about the same until I could track down a tuner.
What injectors are you using?? I have maps for both stock and 740cc. You could essentially just use division and multiplication to get a starting map made to run. Then just tune AFR's w/ a wideband and a bit of common sense

Tom
Old 08-29-2009, 09:03 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Let's see, pick up rims/tires, wire in new wide band, try out Hydra....
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 08-29-2009, 09:34 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
Let's see, pick up rims/tires, wire in new wide band, try out Hydra....
-Bill
In this case, I will soon have a map for 370cc injectors

Tom
Old 08-29-2009, 09:45 PM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T

That would also require me to get a laptop with the card and cable mentioned earlier. Guess I should lock those things down first haha
Old 08-29-2009, 09:49 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeL25T View Post
That would also require me to get a laptop with the card and cable mentioned earlier. Guess I should lock those things down first haha
If you plan on tuning it. If you plan on someone else doing it, you really don't need to have it

Tom
Old 08-30-2009, 03:40 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

The Hydra is ridiculous... I drove the car two nights ago even though I was blowing PS fluid everywhere and is is unbelievably smooth.. It literally drives and idles as if the car had the supercharger as an OEM option... The power band is MUCH stronger as well as a lot more even... I have not really flogged on the car yet due to PS leak and a voltage issue, but I did two quick runs and I had wheelspin all the way into second gear and a nice long chirp IN second gear... Thanks Tom for the work you put into this.... I highly recommend this unit for anyone with plans on modifying their SVX....
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 08-30-2009, 09:05 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

definitely recommend this it's a totally worthwhile mod, the re management of my motor makes it sooo happy! she purrs like never before... even better then when I gave her the 5spd she deserved.