Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under

Old 11-12-2013, 02:54 PM

Smile Diagnostic info for Air Conditioner

I am looking for information relating to the air-con controller, here in NZ & AUS we have a different type of user interface for the air-con.

http://www.alcyone.org.uk/ssm/aircon.html

I am wanting to find out why my air-con is beeping (even when not turned on) & when turned on automatically self sets to 18 deg C (even if I try to turn up, it just reverts back to min setting?).

I have diagnostic book for USA type with 10 push-buttons beside the temperature display area, but what I was requiring is the other type that we have here in New Zealand.

Can anyone supply info or PDF ?

thanks
1995 LSI, Added the following - Gear Firm-Up unit (that I sell) together with Power TCU ROM & Power switch, K&N air filter, SVX side badges (USA type), Rear Deck Blower (JDM type), Side front markers (USA type), Side rear markers (USA type), Middle rear light (USA type), USA OEM Fog Lights fitted into NZ OEM glass (NZ OEM headlights had only reflectors fitted) Full set of yellow (90SH) Polish bushes includes 15 min mod, R1 Concepts drilled/slotted/gold finish rotors & Red covered braided brake lines (both from Dayle at Motorsport warehouse), EBC Redstuff brake pads. Full SVX bra (only used for shows). Koni adjustable inserts fitted inside OEM strut body, Zoom lowering springs (2" lower), OEM headlight washers fitted.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:30 PM

Re: Diagnostic info for Air Conditioner

The photo you have posted is the same as JDM. If I can work out how to extract the part from my car then you're welcome to borrow it if that helps with diagnosis. I've got most of the dash out, but the fan outlets above the air con controls have defeated me so far.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:03 PM

Registered SVX

Steve, this seems to be a common fault on UK/European/JDM A/C control units, do a search, I think it's a component fault (capictor) ?
Old 11-12-2013, 04:12 PM

Shane,

I will have a look after Xmas on getting the air-con controller out (I took it out about 5 years ago without any instructions).

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54152

I think that once you remove the cluster cover & the speedo, then you slide your hand in behind the center grille & feel for a couple of clips that hook up under the dashboard area at top - once unclipped then the grill peels away at the top.

Here is another link showing steps - sorry it is in Japanese http://www.itline.jp/~svx/diary/?date=20040912 put it into "Bing Translator" to get a very funny English translation...

English link http://www.microsofttranslator.com/b...ate%3D20040912

Once out, I will check the electrolytic capacitors & replace any "bulging" ones.
1995 LSI, Added the following - Gear Firm-Up unit (that I sell) together with Power TCU ROM & Power switch, K&N air filter, SVX side badges (USA type), Rear Deck Blower (JDM type), Side front markers (USA type), Side rear markers (USA type), Middle rear light (USA type), USA OEM Fog Lights fitted into NZ OEM glass (NZ OEM headlights had only reflectors fitted) Full set of yellow (90SH) Polish bushes includes 15 min mod, R1 Concepts drilled/slotted/gold finish rotors & Red covered braided brake lines (both from Dayle at Motorsport warehouse), EBC Redstuff brake pads. Full SVX bra (only used for shows). Koni adjustable inserts fitted inside OEM strut body, Zoom lowering springs (2" lower), OEM headlight washers fitted.

Last edited by SURTEESS; 11-13-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURTEESS View Post
I am looking for information relating to the air-con controller, here in NZ & AUS we have a different type of user interface for the air-con.

http://www.alcyone.org.uk/ssm/aircon.html

I am wanting to find out why my air-con is beeping (even when not turned on) & when turned on automatically self sets to 18 deg C (even if I try to turn up, it just reverts back to min setting?).

I have diagnostic book for USA type with 10 push-buttons beside the temperature display area, but what I was requiring is the other type that we have here in New Zealand.

Can anyone supply info or PDF ?

thanks
You have dirt behind the temp set button (display) rock it and blow compressed air behind it should clear the problem or else move the button around a bit
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:53 AM

ok - thanks for the suggestion, I now know how to take it apart, which I will do over Xmas - will let you know what I find.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:13 AM

I pulled an a/c control panel out of my parts car yesterday following Steve's Japanese instructions (didn't read your posting properly and missed the link to the english instructions).

Anyway, it's out and sitting on the floor in my DD. I can drop off to you Weds or Sun if you like.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:19 AM

Shane,
see you Sunday - I will return to you the PC with Evoscan.

Still could not get it to work.....it is annoying as hell !!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: