Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2004, 09:57 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
When I first got my clutch together, the clutch pedal engagement position was extremely inconsistent. Sometimes the clutch would engage with the pedal a reasonable distance off the floor, and other times the pedal would be almost all the way extended. It wasn't until after I rebled the clutch hydraulics that I finally got a consistent (very consistent) clutch pedal feel.

The chatter/shaking probably isn't due to the clutch hydraulics, but the inconsistent pedal feel probably makes it more difficult to modulate the clutch in such a way to avoid the chatter. At least that's how it was for me.

I know what you mean by the violent shaking. Sometimes I thought the engine was going to jump out of the car. And that's with STi Group N motor and tranny mounts.

So have you tried fanning the clutch to get it toasty warm to burn off the residual oil?

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
yea I tried to burn the residual oil off but it didn't really make a difference I dont think anyways. I really wiped it off good though, I just wasn't sure if it was ok to put any type of solvent on it so i figured i wouldn't..
Old 11-05-2004, 03:43 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Just a thought

If you were given the wrong clutch disc I wonder if the pressure plate and t/o bearing were/are also incorrect. A sloppy t/o bearing or one that doesn't work against the pressure plate properly could also be a problem.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:08 AM

The new clutch kit came with the correct pressure plate and the TOB is correct b/c i went and bought a new one b/c i thought that was the problem originally. Thats a 150 dollar mistake i wish i didn't make oh well I'll just rotate them every time I do a clutch. Mychailo, what were you able to do to get the vibes to stop coming from the driveshaft???I'm going to try and shim the rear part of the crossmember and see if that helps.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:48 AM
sans SVX

Some of the vibration seems to have been due to the driveshaft itself. At first, I was using one center u-joint driveshafts. Then I switched over to one of the center CV joint driveshafts, and that took care of the big vibrations. Don't know if its because the driveshaft was a bit old or the alignment of the tranny.

I've still got some mild vibrations that happen above 75 mph. I've measured the u-joint angles, and I think there may be some mild misalignment of the tranny on my car. I looks to me like I need to raise the tail of the tranny about 1/8" - 1/4" to get the u-joint angles within 1/2 degree of each other.

If you are planning to shim the tranny on your car, is there an obvious misalignment?

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 11-07-2004, 11:13 AM

Honestly I really don't know. I put it back together just like when we installed it. I do remember hearing that someone used a few washers on the rear bolts and it took care of some vibes. Thats why I figured it was worth a shot. Because i really can't find anywhere that it's contacting anything?.?..I'm awaiting the arrival of my new clutch master cylinder and then I will install it along with the new slave and hopefully that will solve my clutch issues.
Old 11-07-2004, 11:56 AM
sans SVX

Yeah, that's the thing about the driveshaft vibration. It can sound like its hitting something when its not touching anything. Which kind of driveshaft do you have?

Using an inexpensive angle measurement tool I bought from Harbor Frieight, I've measured the tilt-back of the engine relative to the body of the car. The tool looks like a small square edge, and it has dial that shows angle relative to gravity. Costs about $5. If you want to get the tool, I can show you how I measured the angles.

Visit my locker

Old 11-07-2004, 07:47 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
what years had the cv style drive shaft?? i have a 94 and i was wonder cuz i can't tell by looking at it. i don't know the difference between them. anyway i have a 94 shaft if that is what u r looking for. fit for an auto.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:15 PM
sans SVX

'92 and '93 had the center CV-joint. Its easy to tell the difference. If the driveshaft has a u-joint in the middle, then its the center u-joint style. I've always been curious how Subaru determines which one they are going to use for a vehicle. I did a little looking around, and I've been able to determine that the WRX and the '05 Legacy have the center CV-joint style. I'm guessing the STi does too, but I haven't been able to confirm it yet.

Visit my locker

Old 11-08-2004, 11:52 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I believe the LS has the U-joint style and the LS-L and LSi's all have CV style.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:01 PM
sans SVX

I posted a few pics in my locker showing how I measure the tiltback of the engine/tranny.

Visit my locker

Old 11-10-2004, 05:40 AM
maroon menace

alignment of the center driveshaft mount is important. if it is not correct the driveshaft will want to whip around under acceleration. another thing to check is that all u-joints are in phase. When installed in the car see that all of the u-joints line up in the same way.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:34 AM

I wasn't aware there was a certain way to align the mount, or the driveshaft for that matter. Upon looking at the driveshaft I saw there are only 3 bolts out of the 4 that hold the rear to the front driveshaft. Could this be a cause of the vibes? Thanks for the help so far..
Old 11-10-2004, 10:42 AM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by want-a-fast-svx
I wasn't aware there was a certain way to align the mount, or the driveshaft for that matter. Upon looking at the driveshaft I saw there are only 3 bolts out of the 4 that hold the rear to the front driveshaft. Could this be a cause of the vibes? Thanks for the help so far..
That will certainly knock the driveshaft out of balance and cause a noticeable vibration at freeway speeds. It wouldn't cause much of an effect at lower speeds.

What did you do for the center mount for the driveshaft? Did you use the small car kit that pushes the center mounting position forward, or did you have a driveshaft lengthened?

Visit my locker

Old 11-10-2004, 10:49 AM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by maroon menace
alignment of the center driveshaft mount is important. if it is not correct the driveshaft will want to whip around under acceleration. another thing to check is that all u-joints are in phase. When installed in the car see that all of the u-joints line up in the same way.
I've measured the angles on the SVX driveshaft. The angles on the three u-joint driveshaft are far from cancelling. Its very strange. It looks like the angles on the two u-joint (and one CV joint) driveshaft do cancel though.

Visit my locker