Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > US Regional Forums > Northwest Region
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-12-2005, 10:39 AM

E-Bay scam, BEWARE!

Last week there was a beautiful 96' Lsi on e-bay. It went to $5600. with the reserve not met. My bid was for $5200. Before the auction was over I had contacted the dealer (500 mi. east of me) and he let me know the reserve was $9000. WELL.... soon thereafter I get a very official looking e-mail (e-bay logos and all)saying the winner failed to follow through on the deal and and I can have it for my last offer - $5200. WOW! now I'm really excited,and start making plans and even offer to sell my 2000 legacy GT to my son , REAL cheap, because I fianally found my long sought baby. Now for the funny business.
After reading and re-reading his e-mail it seemed strange that he did'nt want me to contact him at the address in the add, but a different address. Well, to be prudent I'll run the vin. Comes up perfect ecept there is a lien aginst the car. THATS IT! Thats why its so cheep,I foolishly tell myself, he is in trouble and has to dump the car fast to pay a bill. I contact him again (e-mail, 7am) informing him I' ready to do the deal but I have a few Q's and need to talk to him. Leave my phone# and ask for his...................all day nothing. I E-mail again beforing leaving work and let him know I'm anxiously awaiting his reply. The next day there is a reply (sent at 2:00am) stating he needs ONLY a 50% deposit to hold the car. Cool. I can do that. OK, I answer, call me and we'll set up the transaction.............again, all day, no reply. Now I,am getting ticked. I resolve to call the dealer listed in the original add and give him a piece of my mind. I get ahold of him and he has no idea what I'm talking about Says he never sent me an e-mail and on top of that the car was sold yesterday for $9000. Futhermore, he says the e-mail add. Ive been corosponding with is not his or his business. Now the light comes on. I,m being scamed. With a little research I have found out that the scammer is from another country. That explains why I only recieved mail in the wee hours of the night ( different time zone)
I'am still in contact with the crook. I'am trying to find out where he wants me to send the money.
I'll keep you posted.