Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects

Old 08-11-2013, 10:09 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Twin turbo TD04-13T project: Journey to 300+whp

Just for the record it was cylinder #6 on my first boosted engine.
At that time I was only running maybe 6-7 psi?
Now on my stock engine with only porting, headers, phenolic spacers and LANs Stage 2, I am maxing out at 10-11 psi BUT it is with an air intake temperature of maybe 20°f over ambiant.

IF I remember correctly YTs supercharger stated an air temp of over 200°f at 12 psi.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link

Last edited by svxfiles; 08-11-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
Stock pistons are fine to a lot of power and cylinder pressures as per any other Subaru engine. Issue is the tune, not many people actually understand this and never will. My current engine in the racecar is a stock STI engine running close to 30 psi... good safe tune!! And the old EG33 saw up to 15-16 psi on the dyno and ran around a racetrack for a long time at 7-10 psi. Given the cost of forged pistons I probably wouldn't touch the stock ones unless aiming for above 500 bhp. The power above is nothing for these pistons.

Get a good safe tune and it will run a lot of boost for a long time. I couldn't break my turbo EG33 at the track in the harshest of conditions (major oil surge and 32-35'C). Get the tune wrong and it will last 5 seconds!!
Thank you for chiming in Bazza! Long time to chat!

Do you have any recommendations for what you would consider a 'safe' tune? Pointers, or tips?
Old 08-12-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
Just for the record it was cylinder #6 on my first boosted engine.
At that time I was only running maybe 6-7 psi?
Now on my stock engine with only porting, headers, phenolic spacers and LANs Stage 2, I am maxing out at 10-11 psi BUT it is with an air intake temperature of maybe 20°f over ambiant.

IF I remember correctly YTs supercharger stated an air temp of over 200°f at 12 psi.
Indeed, cooling the charge is my #1 concern and should be anyone's concern if they plan on boosting an otherwise unmodified engine.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:01 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackWoodsBob View Post
Indeed, cooling the charge is my #1 concern and should be anyone's concern if they plan on boosting an otherwise unmodified engine.
The one thing that Adam at Jet Tech Superchargers told me was that his axial vane blower,(7" impeller) does not need an itercooler untill 10+ pounds of boost.
But as earlier mentioned it runs pretty cool.

If I ever get "extra money" I'll go with rods, pistons, Comedics, cams, and studs.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link

Last edited by svxfiles; 08-19-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Thank you for chiming in Bazza! Long time to chat!

Do you have any recommendations for what you would consider a 'safe' tune? Pointers, or tips?
Full aftermarket Ecu. Then timing compensations for iat and ect. Rich fuel (10.5 gasoline). Actual timing depends on mods.

You can easily run with no intercooling and hot air temps, absolutely no issue if you did that. The trick is then fuel and timing. Ie very rich fuel and reduced timing.

I read once that someone here said that they added timing to stock Ecu with a turbo or super charger!!! That is a load of rubbish and doing that will blow your engine apart!!!
Old 08-12-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
Full aftermarket Ecu. Then timing compensations for iat and ect. Rich fuel (10.5 gasoline). Actual timing depends on mods.

You can easily run with no intercooling and hot air temps, absolutely no issue if you did that. The trick is then fuel and timing. Ie very rich fuel and reduced timing.

I read once that someone here said that they added timing to stock Ecu with a turbo or super charger!!! That is a load of rubbish and doing that will blow your engine apart!!!
I was going to run an aem fic6, but the maximum timing retard is 10°. and I have 0 experience making even a base map. so tuning from scratch is a no go unless someone has an megasquirt compatible base map I could steal. thanks for the pointers :-)
Old 08-12-2013, 06:25 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
I was going to run an aem fic6, but the maximum timing retard is 10°. and I have 0 experience making even a base map. so tuning from scratch is a no go unless someone has an megasquirt compatible base map I could steal. thanks for the pointers :-)
The tunerstudio megasquirt software paid version has an autotune feature that should be able to generate a decent base map. Just make an AFR map, and it will make a VE table to hit the target. Wideband O2 is a must. The next version of the software should even be able to tune the warmup maps. And I already posted a settings file that will make it start and run; tunerstudio ought to be able to take it from there.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 08-12-2013, 06:40 PM

No doubt? Does that work with the MS2? I recall reading about it in the manual, but now I'm not sure if it was for your MS3 or the MS2 I have bookmarked. If I could get it to run alright I could take it from there with experimentation.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:53 PM

Bazza, any opinions on the AEM piggyback systems?
Old 08-14-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Bazza, any opinions on the AEM piggyback systems?
You can make anything work as they're fancy calculators. The question is how well do you want it to work and how easy do you want to be able to manage it.

IMO if the AEM is simple to use, does what it's told and can adjust timing / fuel and give you a nice clean user interface then excellent. If not, ebay it and buy a Link or a Vipec.

I sold my LinkPlus G3 (racecar went back to stock tuneable 03 STI ecu, with group N rally ROM and carberry updates running ej207 @ 30 odd psi) but I still have the base timing and fuel maps.... saves about 3 months work for anyone else going down that path! Most of that time was spent perfecting the cold start - the EJ's are easy to cold start... the EG's are very hard in comparison and get perfect.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:38 PM

Thanks Bazza . I consider you the go-to guy for forced induction help, as it seems everyone elses build either falls on its face, disappears , or the person/people never post what worked/didn't work for them.

Much, Much, MUCH appreciated!
Old 08-14-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks Bazza . I consider you the go-to guy for forced induction help, as it seems everyone elses build either falls on its face, disappears , or the person/people never post what worked/didn't work for them.

Much, Much, MUCH appreciated!
Happy to help where I can.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:15 AM

This came in the other day . I've got another quoted for 100 shipped and I need to pick up 2 flanges for my custom exhaust manifold. One thing a day and I'll be done soon! Going to need to find a second car however, otherwise this build is going to have to wait till next summer and that's not what I want to have happen!

Old 08-26-2013, 07:18 PM

Registered SVX

This was posted on the RS25 where Bob frequented. Would've been nice to see the TT he was working on

This past saturday, at roughly 10pm Jacob Munoz (AKA BackwoodsBob) was involved in a motorcycle-car accident while riding his bike. He was pronounced dead shortly after arrival at the hospital.

Our condolences go out to his family. Bob was a valued member of our little online community and his absence will surely be felt.

(Obituary, and funeral home link)
http://www.royalcolemanfuneralhome.c...trib&id=345193

That being said, We should fill this thread with our thoughts and hopes. There will be a donation of some sort for his family I'm sure. One of our members has volunteered to make stickers as well, though there isn't a design yet.

Furthermore several of us are planning on attending the funeral this upcoming Friday. If you would like to join the caravan or organize one from another part of the country, post here and I'll keep this post updated as best I can.

Funeral home is:
Royal-Coleman Funeral Home,
6028 U.S. 6,
Linesville, PA 16424

Currently we've got several of us from Michigan/Detroit Area. Here's the route: http://goo.gl/maps/nB3MC

We're all still reeling from this, but let's not forget about Bob's family. They've lost a lot and need our help.

RIP Bob. You're missed.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:43 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Oh jesus.... Rest in peace Bob. If there is any information about a donation drive for his family please post the link. Having gone through the funeral thing for my grandfather recently I know how hard it is on the family. Let us know if there's any way we can help.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: