Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects

Old 02-19-2012, 01:25 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Remote Mount Turbo

interesting, reminds me of the old atomizer kart carbs

I want a tubro svx now....
Old 02-19-2012, 03:32 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wrix View Post
brake boosters require vacuum to operate as well as cruise control

(correct me if diesel trucks are differnt, i know airbrakes are....)
The 80's and 90's chevy diesel trucks do not use a vac booster for the brakes they use a power steering fluid driven hydrolic unit.

This is probably an early setup later years may look slightly different.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:52 PM

Very nice pic 92 SVX, that's like the HMMWV's (HUMVEE's) in the army.

Anyways, I had the turbo mocked up and bolted on for about 30 minutes, but I have to do some more work that became evident during the mock up. Tomorrow should have it semi-permanently to permanently mounted and get some pics up. I had it bolted down, but my gravity drain would have had some issues, so I am gonna raise the turbo another 6 inches and then mock it up again. Pics will be posted tomorrow of a mocked up turbo with functional oil system in place.

All in all, I really only have about a weekend wrapped up fabrication so far. It's just been spread out over a few weeks, a couple hours here and a few there. I think the single most time consuming part of the build will be the engine swap and that can be done in a weekend. would be less time involved for some one who already has the stage 2 ecu tune. My stage 2 just come with an engine swap since my engine is ready for some new seals anyways.

Last edited by Subaru Alliance; 02-19-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:33 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru Alliance View Post
Very nice pic 92 SVX, that's like the HMMWV's (HUMVEE's) in the army.
yes the army humvee's are all chevy diesels. I like the set up they use very simple very reasonable power no electronics to fail engine management, pft what is that.

The civilian trucks in the 94 and up got stuck with lots of electronics that tended to fail often, the army humvee was never changed, I dont know if they did in the 2000 and later models but I dont believe they did.

As to your turbo build I am following this closely I like he project I hope you get it to your expectations.

I dont know if I asked this before so I will ask.

Are you planning on using some exhaust wrap and/ or turbo blanket? To keep the heat in I have heard different things about efficiency of the turbo especially on remote mounts.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:34 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

So you're using a GT35? And the engine is stock? How much boost are you planning on running it at? I think the GT35 is oversized for a stock engine. What are your plans for the other turbo?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 02-21-2012, 03:02 AM

Registered SVX

I wonder if anything came out of the SVX (87F383) remote turbo talk here:

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/po...unt-turbo.html

As a general comment: Less is more (also) in this case.... go for low boost level with moderate parts - when sizing the turbo remember the exhaust flow has lost quite a bit of its energy, the volume flow is down and this should be taken into account when selecting the turbine side. You might get by with a small - even a used - older turbo type with a "non-cooled" housing and an integral waste gate. Two systems less.....

As a daily driver you will need to aim for increased driveability, good midrange and - less lag.

Kind regards,

Tapani
Old 02-21-2012, 07:20 AM

Ok so I have the turbo mounted, and the oil system is plumbed and running. here are a few pics of the exhaust flange

I also have some photos of the turbo installed and let me tell you, she is an ANGRY turbo. It starts making noise under moderate to low throttle around 2K, I don't know for sure until I get the boost gauge and intake plumbing ran but I suspect to achieve full boost pressure around 2500 RPM under moderately high, to high throttle position. I will post pics of the turbo mounted , just waiting on photo bucket.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:44 AM

some more photos. Now keep in mind here guys, anyone else who want a remote mount turbo, if you use a smaller turbo you can keep your spare tire well in tact LOL. I also took two videos once i figure out to upload those you can see and hear it in action.
This one is from the front seat looking back into the trunk area.

This one is looking into the trunk.

Here is the catch can, oil pump, and trans cooler.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:31 AM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

What are you going to do about exhaust fumes and water coming in the trunk to the cabin?
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 02-21-2012, 10:05 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightningsvx View Post
What are you going to do about exhaust fumes and water coming in the trunk to the cabin?
my guess is he plans to wield in a panel after all the plumbing is done.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:49 PM

so for an update I am actually surprised at how fast this thing "spools" I won't know for sure till I get the boost gauge on it and get it plumbed to the throttle body, but my guess is even though I have the turbo at the back of the exhaust system I am getting a more even flow of exhaust across the turbine. With a typical setup with the turbo close to the engine the exhaust is hitting the turbine in pulses, with my set up the gas has time to cool a bit and contract on the way to the turbo, even though it may still be in pulses, I think it's more even across the turbine and contributing to the spool time. Once the car is warmed up and idling at some 700 RPM there is not enough pressure to spin the turbo, if you rev it up to about 1000 the turbo will spin. I also haven't hooked up the fan on the trans cooler because I am surprised at how cool the oil is. I have a digital oil temp and water temp gauge coming that have a range of 70-300 something farenheit and I bet most of the time the fluid temps won't even get hot enough to register on the gauge, maybe in the heat of georgia's summer it may hang out around 115 tops. That is all speculation at this point but we will know soon enough.

As far as the big hole in my trunk area I was gonna make a lid for it out of fiberglass, but one of my soldiers gave me a good idea to make it out of plexiglass so it can be seen with the lid on, and able to see leaks and what not. I may go that route, regardless it is gonna get sealed up somehow.

Next is gonna be plumbing for the liquid cooling side, I received my brake rotors so I think I will install those with the ceramic pads this weekend. Will keep this thread updated as progress is made.

Last edited by Subaru Alliance; 02-21-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:10 PM

A couple points-

1) I hope you're planning a bracket of some sort to mount the turbo? Using the exhaust as the only structural support is not a good idea. Forgive me if I missed something in the thread or pics that cover this already.

2) Regarding spool, with no restriction on the intake side, the "spool" you're witnessing is deceptive. In reality, a typical turbo would be spinning at idle without any instake restrictions. It's expected that it may not in a remote mount setup.

3) Exhaust heat is your friend with turbos. Cooling of the exhast charge prior to the turbine is not in any way beneficial.

4) Use caution running a turbo without any intake restriction. If you try to wind her up and see what she'll do, the turbo could very easily overspin.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:43 PM

@ cthommes answers for your questions.

1) as everything is mounted right now, there is the factory exhaust hanger located just in front of the muffler (on a stock setup) and that is what is bearing the weight of the turbo at this point. I do plan on tying into the remaining factory mounts at the back bumper side.

2) I am not certain, but I would think that any turbo sized for the application would be spinning at idle, regardless of where it was mounted in the exhaust stream. I think this turbo (GT35) is a touch on the to big side and that is why is doesn't spin at idle. It will spin when the car is first started and is at high idle but once warmed and it idles down it doesn't spin. I believe if I were using something smaller like say a GT30 it would spin at idle, being that a smaller turbo would have less weight for the exhaust stream to overcome. I am not 100% sure but this sounds accurate to me.

3)I agree with you on this note. I was simply referring to it having a chance to cool and contract slightly so instead of exhaust hitting the turbine in say 90% pulses and 10% steady flow in a typical setup, this setup may be in the range of 40% pulses and 60% steady flow (the numbers are just for example)

4) thank you for the tip. Lucky for me I haven't tried to give her all she's got, but none the less I hadn't thought about overspinning the turbo, and now that you have posted that it makes sense about the intake restriction, so thanks.

I appreciate the questions and suggestions from everyone, Keep in mind tho that this is not the final product, at this point it is still in the mock up/ experiment stage, I was actually surprised with how well it's going, I planned on a few leaks here, and having to install and then uninstall a few times to get the kinks worked out.

I am pretty stubborn and hard headed, a lot of people here around me didn't think it would work, or didn't understand how it would work and there fore were dismissive of the idea. I am glad the "board" as a whole is keeping me on my toes, because your ideas and suggestions are helping to be sure I don't overlook something.

An update on the build, I just got an e-mail that the stage 2 tune has shipped, I would like to do the engine swap this weekend, but I am gonna have to arm wrestle my wife (she wants to do something this weekend) or push it off to the following weekend. I can get my brakes knocked though and possibly get the MAF mounted. We will have to see.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:36 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru Alliance View Post
2) I am not certain, but I would think that any turbo sized for the application would be spinning at idle, regardless of where it was mounted in the exhaust stream. I think this turbo (GT35) is a touch on the to big side and that is why is doesn't spin at idle. It will spin when the car is first started and is at high idle but once warmed and it idles down it doesn't spin. I believe if I were using something smaller like say a GT30 it would spin at idle, being that a smaller turbo would have less weight for the exhaust stream to overcome. I am not 100% sure but this sounds accurate to me.
Having looked at quite a few compressor maps, I feel confident enough to say that a GT35 will definitely be oversized on a stock block. It's also big enough that it will surpass the fuel supplied by LAN's stage 2 stuff. A GT30 is slightly oversized even.

With a hydra, with 750 or 550cc injectors, on a lower compression built motor, a GT35 is reasonable.

Of course, now that you've got it all put together, see how it goes.

The MAF I strongly recommend keeping down-stream of the turbo, closer to the intake for several reasons. For one, a BOV will work as long as it's pre-MAF, since it won't affect the reading of how much airflow is actually making it into the throttle bodies. If it's post-MAF, then any air that's blown off will have already been read, and the ECU will still inject fuel for that air so it will run rich for a couple seconds. Second, the MAF voltage is pretty low, and low voltage tends to droop with increased wire length. If you take it all the way to the trunk that would probably be low enough to affect readings. Best to play it safe and keep it in the engine bay. It does require that the intake air be low enough to work with the MAF. I really think that some intercooling is in order with this setup, regardless of where you put the MAF, but that's one more reason. Also, the closer to the throttle bodies the MAF is, the more accurate and "on-time" the airflow reading will be to the ECU. Another reason is that Phil (the guy who build the green turbo (GT30)/intercooled/stage2/N62 MAF/370cc injector SVX) got a much better idle and overall running when he moved the MAF to a foot before the throttle bodies instead of just before the turbo. And nothing beats experience (especially since there's so precious little when it comes to turboing SVXes).

I like this project a lot, hope it works really well. I also really like the pace you're working on it at. I must admit I was kinda skeptical of the whole rear-mount thing, but seeing it all put together is intriguing. I like the idea of a clear cover for the trunk area that lets you see the turbo. If you make it pretty then it will be a hit at car meets and such. And even if it is oversized, that big turbo looks beastly in there.

And thanks for inspiring me to get back in my garage to work on my own slow-moving turbo project. You may have some competition soon.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 02-22-2012, 10:57 AM

LOL thanks icingdeath, I hope to have some competition soon. not for competition's sake, but for the svx sake. (to many people have either forgotten about SVX's or have never known about them) at least here where I am at.

As for the MAF I am thinking of running a bigger gauge wire say a 14 or something and running the wires back to the turbo, but I was also thinking of running the MAF close to the throttle body, (need your guys help here) but for that to work it would have compressed air moving through it and I am not sure how that would work out. If I left it in the stock location then I would have to pipe it back to the turbo, then pipe from the turbo back to the throttle body and I think that is just to much piping. I know the gt35 is a beast, but I am going for more of a CFM build instead of a high boost build at this point, once I get some boost friendly pistons then I can start going higher boost, but that will be a long time down the road, as for now it's really more of an experiment at this point, (I like to think of it as an EDUCATED EXPERIMENT ;D) but it's gonna be some trial and error for a little while.

I think I will be good with LAN's tune and running 8psi for now, but if not I will address that when it comes, maybe hafta go down to 5psi. It is coming along fairly quick and smooth, but this is my daily driver so that's why I am doing things in a way that will keep the car drivable but still overcoming some of the hurdles, for instance now when the stage 2 comes, I can do an engine swap and start plumbing the intake, instead of an engine swap and mounting the turbo.

I am satisfied with the oil system to the turbo, but I am gonna upgrade that pump, maybe here in another couple weeks, I think I will have most of the other stuff done, and then once I get the better pump, then put on the last piece(s) of intake plumbing and be good.

For now though I will focus on the liquid cooling side of the turbo, and the brake upgrade (rotors/pads) O yeah, I got my oil and water temp gauges in so I can start mounting and wiring those as well.

Last edited by Subaru Alliance; 02-22-2012 at 11:04 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: