Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-24-2010, 11:31 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Onetrack Send a message via AIM to Onetrack Send a message via MSN to Onetrack Send a message via Skype™ to Onetrack
People to watch out for

Hey everyone.. (note, I cross posted this from the other forum as I want to get input from both sides)

So about a year ago I became the owner of ' OH THAT CAR ' a 1992 tri-colour right hand drive SVX. The car has been just awesome over the last year, its only got about 44k miles on it so far and drives and handles brand new.

I've been looking after it, mechanically babying the car as much as I can afford to, picked up one of the quick change kits from here and the car has been a champ, performing as though it just came from the factory.

I have 2 people who are interested in it now, and I think its time to part ways with it. One fellow is in Arizona, the other in Washington - both are offering a variety of trades / cash and seem like great guys - I'm just going to back this up a moment and give a little history on this particular car.

In December of 2008 I contacted the previous owner who had an ad on craigslist - his ad had the car listed for a reasonable price and also would consider a trade for a decent mini van as he had 2 kids and a 3rd on the way - I at the time had a 1998 chrysler town and country, which I offered, he was interested in it and I drove down 450km to his location so he could check it out. We drove all over the city, went to check out the car, it wasn't ready and wouldn't start (it had been sitting in a warehouse for 3 years) - needed a fuel pump and nothing was open as it was the end of December. I drove my own vehicle home and returned after it was ready - again, it wasn't ready for me to take, so I returned home in my own vehicle for another week and then we made arrangements to meet 1/2 way on Jan 10th and do the swap.

All went very well, we met at an insurance agent, I registered the SVX into my name, we did the swap, swapped plates and went on our way - I didn't see him again until June when we met half way to swap a set of tires.

I put about 1500 into the car after I got it home, not to mention it had been sitting for 3 years and needed all the fluids flushed, plus a tune up and oil change, maintenance that had not been done since it was imported. + the cost of going back and forth 3 x as well as the fuel pump was out of my pocket as well.

In August, 8 months into owning my older vehicle he started sending me awful emails and texts, claiming the vehicle had developed electrical problems and that I should pay him out of court 1500 or he'd ' sue me into the ground ' as his lawyer said it was a ' slam dunk ' case - I told him to pound sand and not contact me anymore, he did not and I haven't heard anything from him to this date.

Fast forward to this last week, I get a letter from a towing company in his city, they have the vehicle I swapped sitting in an impound yard as the insurance company states I still own it, doofus out there never submitted the transfer papers - so he's been driving around for a year in a car I own. Worse yet, he never bothered to insure it, note this was a vehicle he wanted specifically for his pregnant wife and their kids - what kind of person puts his family at risk like that???

So legally it is mine, he's tried to get it from impound a few times and they won't let him have it, thankfully I have the buyers copy of the transfer papers signed, dated and stamped from the insurance agent we swapped at. So I am absolved of the fees the company is wanting to charge for tow + impound + daily. It can rot there all I care

Now I'm at the point where I need more of a utility vehicle, my RHD JDM SVX is up for grabs - two highly respected members of the community have expressed interest in it so I am deciding which it goes to.

I'd like input on who you'd think it should go to, why - what it is worth on the market

Here are some pictures of it, I've tried to keep it nice and clean - and its an absolute joy to drive, remember, its a 92, just over 44k miles on her.

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/3224/1/SVX?h=90ef45
RHD JDM - New JVC Head Unit
Quickchange kit
Old 01-24-2010, 11:41 AM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: People to watch out for

Should probably go to Earl. Isn't this the one he was trying to buy before you aquired it?
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 01-24-2010, 11:44 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetrack View Post
...his lawyer said it was a ' slam dunk ' case...
If you remembered to write "AS IS" then there is no dunk.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:52 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

pay the impound fees and go pick up your van

Tom
Old 01-24-2010, 11:52 AM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse

this is too funny....I showed that car to Earl after I decided it was too risky to buy!

I wasnt sure I could travel 3k miles in a car I have not inspected... then get denied crossing the border with it..also I wanted to see it before I committed to a price.

One of those tail/side lights used to be mine :P

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 01-24-2010, 11:59 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Onetrack Send a message via AIM to Onetrack Send a message via MSN to Onetrack Send a message via Skype™ to Onetrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
If you remembered to write "AS IS" then there is no dunk.

I did indeed on the bill of sale, and there was no dunk because there was actually no lawyer, he was just fishing for money thinking i was a bumbling country boy without any ability to think.

Trust me I have -all- the paperwork on this car I'm well covered.

Now that its a registered canadian car it can cross the border easily afaik.
Quickchange kit
Old 01-24-2010, 12:13 PM

Registered SVX

How can this car be brought into the US and registered? I know it's in Canada now... but it would seem difficult to get into the US and licenced.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnblatt View Post
How can this car be brought into the US and registered? I know it's in Canada now... but it would seem difficult to get into the US and licenced.
I don't believe so, the problem that Earl had getting it in was that they were trying to go straight from japan to usa which is near impossible without the proper paperwork as far as I am aware.

Now that its registered in Canada and is in effect a canadian car (done all the recalls, inspection, registration, acceptance of short vin, vic codes etc) it should be relatively easy to get over the 49th

-One
Quickchange kit
Old 01-24-2010, 12:38 PM
Phil & Belha

The regulations concerning import from Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHTSA
Importing a Canadian-Certified Vehicle as a Conforming Vehicle under Box 2B
To be imported free of restriction, a motor vehicle less than 25 years old must be originally manufactured to comply with all applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards (FMVSS) and bear a label certifying such compliance that is permanently affixed by the vehicle's original manufacturer. A motor vehicle that bears a label certifying compliance with all applicable Canadian motor vehicle safety standards (CMVSS), but not with the FMVSS, can still be imported as a conforming motor vehicle under Box 2B on the HS-7 Declaration form to be presented to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (Customs) at the time of entry if the following requirements are met:

* The vehicle is being imported for personal use and not for resale;
* The vehicle is not a salvage vehicle, a repaired salvage vehicle, or a reconstructed vehicle;
* The importer obtains a letter from the vehicle's original manufacturer, on the manufacturer's letterhead (and not that of a franchised dealer), identifying the vehicle by vehicle identification number (VIN) and stating that the vehicle conforms to all applicable FMVSS except for the labeling requirements of Standards Nos. 101 Controls and Displays and 110 Tire Selection and Rims or 120 Tire Selection and Rims for Motor Vehicles other than Passenger Cars, and/or the specifications of Standard No. 108 Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment, relating to daytime running lamps.

Note: To be imported under Box 2B a motor vehicle must be certified by its original manufacturer as complying with all applicable CMVSS. Certain vehicles that are at least 15 years old that are not so certified can be imported into Canada without restriction. Such vehicles may not be imported into the United States under Box 2B.
So it seems you have to get a letter from Subaru in Japan, certifying that the JDM version has been tested against US safety standards. That doesn't sound like an easy letter to get.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II

Last edited by b3lha; 01-24-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXyGirl Send a message via Yahoo to SVXyGirl
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
Should probably go to Earl. Isn't this the one he was trying to buy before you aquired it?
+1. Earl deserves first dibs.
92 Claret SVX LS-L (180k) 09/91 #5,732
06 Suzuki Boulevard M50 7k
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille (70k) Storage/hibernation for now.

Past SVXs:
94 SVX Emerald Pearl FWD (Sold)
96 SVX Bourdeaux LSi (Sold)
92 Pearl SVX LSL "Stay Puft" 5MT (140k) #148 (RIP)
95 Brilliant Red SVX LS (162k) 12/94 #564 "Killer Tomato" (RIP)

Old 01-24-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha View Post
The regulations concerning import from Canada.

So it seems you have to get a letter from Subaru in Japan, certifying that the JDM version has been tested against US safety standards. That doesn't sound like an easy letter to get.
Gah.
Weak.

You're right that will be a hard letter to get - I wonder if they accept bribes.
Quickchange kit
Old 01-24-2010, 05:10 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Earl has been after a RHD drive for sometime. I think It should defiantly go to him. It would help possibly to know who this person from AZ is.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 01-24-2010, 05:20 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Maybe Dayle?

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 01-24-2010, 06:39 PM
word words wording

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
Defiantly Dayle!

-Bill
fixed 398457342987

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 01-24-2010, 06:42 PM
word words wording

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetrack View Post
Gah.
Weak.

You're right that will be a hard letter to get - I wonder if they accept bribes.
perhaps you could drive it to the states and walk back home...
someone could do a front clip swap.