IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2010, 06:22 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
I *would* pay around 1200 a year for comp being I haven't had a wreck. I am only 19, guess it varies by state. My insurance for just liability is around 600 a year now.
true yeah mine is about 600 for 3rd party , and down here they have a under 25s (pretty much classifieing every one under 25 [mainly males] as HOONS ) law with a huge tax increase on comp insurance until they are 25
Old 01-09-2010, 01:22 PM
I'm the anti-do-gooder

I pay $75 a month for both my 02 Civic and svx. Full coverage on the Honda and liability only on the SVX.

My insurance rapes me on my house though.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:03 PM

You might want to check local insurance companies, my fiance used to work for a local insurance company, and it's less than 100 bucks a month for full coverage of my 2000 z28 camaro and svx with glass and home renters insurance. I was shocked. American Family is the company, so if it's in your area, might wanna check em out. Just my 2 bits.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:01 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
I'm currently paying $57/month for my car. Granted, that's only for liability, but last year I was quoted right around $100/month for comprehensive. Oddly, when I sought a quote for adding a '93 Justy to my policy, it would have doubled my payments. Go figure the worthless wheeled egg beater is worth as much to insure as the expensive sports car.
$100/month for comprehensive? sounds way too much unless you're in a high-crime area... Maybe, collision?

To OP: check if your insurance carrier offers multiple line discount. For me (liability+comprehensive on '96 SVX, liability+collision+comprehensive on '08 Outback) buying renter's insurance saved more than the renter's insurance premium. We use State Farm, they have 10% multiple line discount - which in our case amounted to approx $300 per year, while the premium for renter's insurance was approx $120 per year.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:39 PM
What do you mean wrong SVX?

I'm 23 and I pay $900/yr for a scam-worthy liability policy on my SVX. I've been insured under my name 4 years now. Try Progressive out, they gave me a quote that was more than $2000 than what I was paying with more than 3 times the coverage. I was happy and angry that day.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:37 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilor View Post
$100/month for comprehensive? sounds way too much unless you're in a high-crime area... Maybe, collision?
*shrug* In this neighbourhood (all of Ontario), $100/month for someone my age for complete coverage is actually very low. I have friends who have gotten quotes of several thousand dollars for their vehicles, although most/all of them are newer than my SVX. I think my 21 year old friend is paying something like $140/month for liability only on his 2000 Prelude.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 01-12-2010, 11:38 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
*shrug* In this neighbourhood (all of Ontario), $100/month for someone my age for complete coverage is actually very low. I have friends who have gotten quotes of several thousand dollars for their vehicles, although most/all of them are newer than my SVX. I think my 21 year old friend is paying something like $140/month for liability only on his 2000 Prelude.
Ah, so it's "complete", not "comprehensive". Comprehensive insurance is

Quote:
COMPREHENSIVE COVERAGE (OTHER THAN COLLISION, OTC, COMP)

Covers your vehicle, and other vehicles (in limited scenarios) you may be driving for losses resulting from incidents other than collision. For example, comprehensive insurance covers damage to your car if it is stolen; or damaged by flood, fire, or animals. It pays to fix your vehicle less the deductible you choose. To keep your premiums low, select as high a deductible as you feel comfortable paying out of pocket. Coverage is limited to the terms and conditions contained in the policy. This is not required by a state, but if you have a loan or a lease then the lien holder will require it.
From here. Comprehensive is usually quite cheap - with my SVX, it's somewhat about $30 for 6 months...
Old 01-13-2010, 07:50 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Ah, my bad, vocabulary mix up.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 01-13-2010, 02:30 PM

I just checked my bill. I'm paying $52 a month for full coverage on the SVX. It's within a dollar of the cost for the Alfa and the Capri. Add $28 a month for a homeowner's policy from the same company, and I shovel out $186 a month for all my insurance.
Paul
'93 Mercury (Aussie) Capri
Old 01-17-2010, 11:14 PM

hmm seems alot of ppl are missing the other major kick in the a$$ about ur insurance. yes alot is based on ur driving record (accident, dui, speeding) and having a safe driver designation on ur license lowers rates significantly think that is like 5-7 years with no points/accidents. but the one factor you all seem to be missing is ur credit rating. when i got my 95 polo pearl i insured it when i moved back to ny for $180 every six months (liability only) took the insurance off in nov 08 and tried to reinsure it in may 09 and the insurance company tried to jack me up to $489 for six months. no changes in my license only thing that changed was two items in credit report. also keep in mind they will increase the rates if u dont have / arent covered on someones insurance policy already.

Last edited by badazb; 01-18-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:37 PM

Obama says he will provide free auto insurance to all us poor Americans because it is our right!

Keith
Old 01-21-2010, 04:58 AM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Progressive is a Joke. Literally....

Then again, insuring an SVX is a joke all around and is pretty much pointless aside from being legal. I used to pay $77/mo full coverage with a 250 deductible. Then I got rear ended (which I thought wasn't so bad and it really wasn't) and they felt the need to think the car was totaled for repariable damages of $1,780 even though my car was valued at $3,200ish or something.

At that point, I felt like it was pointless and I was being robbed the entire time of paying for 'full coverage' and really saying my car is worth **** in the end.

I now pay $35ish a month for just liability. I figure, if I get in a wreck that is my fault, then it's my fault and I will deal with it... but if someone nails me in the tail again (there insurance will deal with it, even as much of a pain in the ass that is to endure!) and if they aren't insured... well, I'm not much of a sports person but damn it, I do have a liking to baseball bats and it's so convenient I plan on buying myself one as an early birthday gift in the near future.

With that said, screw all uninsured motorists! If you are uninsured, I hope I offended you!