Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-01-2009, 09:49 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Front Look Design Update

Ohh this one was nice on the svx.

My subarus:
1992 Svx LSI 5-MT(3.54)
1998 Legacy BG 2.5L GX

Last edited by svxistentialist; 11-02-2009 at 01:07 AM.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:03 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex-svx View Post
Ohh this one was nice on the svx.
I agree totally
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration
Old 11-02-2009, 03:41 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Danny, you paying attention at the back?

With the proper execution the idea you are putting forward could do a nice refresh on the nose of the SVX. Go for it.

Joe
Yes Joe, well for each application a certain nose is needed. I have my causes for such a nose

As for the back, I have designed one and needed to show it to you around 3 months ago... but cannot post it here until I do it on the SVX

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:54 AM

The cloud city pic, (just above...) is not bad.

I kinda wish it didn't cut upward into the bumper-beam area so much. Such a tall opening interrupts a very wide, slim aesthetic. If they had kept the bumper area across the car, and kept the slits through the bumper beam area, like the stock bumper cover, that might look better.

I do like the way they smoothed the transition, and the chin spoiler area under the bumper.

And I know our new member from Japan mentioned that he fabricated a way to fit a Skyline GT-R like grille to the SVX... that seems like a good idea to me.

Something very thin. Something that makes a lining above the top of the front bumper cover, and along the inside edges of the headlight assemblies... but as thin as possible, and then a couple of similarly thin slat louvers in the opening. That might be very cool.

To get really interesting, the louvers could be somewhat widely spaced at the sides of the grille, and get lower, and closer together in the center, and approximate the "waterfall" shape of the SVX's original waterfall grille.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:39 AM

Registered SVX

my plan next summer to make a 240sx silvia front bumper variation for my car
http://www.octanemotorsports.com/images/OGN-D17-FB.gif
Old 11-02-2009, 01:59 PM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T

I think you'd have better luck starting with an S13 style bumper just cause their headlights are pretty similar to ours.

And IMHO, there is no aftermarket bumper that looks good on an any Silva, with the excetion of the ones that resemble Skyline bumpers and the one that came on the 270R. The stock S15 bumper looks a trillion times better than that.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:31 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeL25T View Post
I think you'd have better luck starting with an S13 style bumper just cause their headlights are pretty similar to ours.

And IMHO, there is no aftermarket bumper that looks good on an any Silva, with the excetion of the ones that resemble Skyline bumpers and the one that came on the 270R. The stock S15 bumper looks a trillion times better than that.
i wasnt going to model after that specific one i just d quick pic but essentially doing the S14 silvia but it'll be a work in progress
Old 11-02-2009, 05:16 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamesy View Post
i wasnt going to model after that specific one i just d quick pic but essentially doing the S14 silvia but it'll be a work in progress
The S14 bumper strikes me as very close to what will work with the SVX, and I'll add a few pics below to illustrate.

But first I've borrowed some images from Danny's Photo Folder, I hope you don't mind Danny, because I have noticed that Danny's design owes a lot to the early Cloud style, which does work quite well on the SVX, although I think it could have been better for small changes.

This is Danny's design before paint, and I think it is exceptionally well done. Individual pillars are quite slender, and I would have liked it better if he kept the lower tray black rather than silver.

My main disapproval of it though is because it does not recess back from the nose, but drops vertically to end up looking like a snow plough.

Now this is an S14 [Ks '96-97 model] in white which shows it to be close to what would fit and suit the SVX. It needs to be less deep to avoid speedbump damage, and possibly the vertical pillars could be slimmer. I would use the lovely indicators, nice feature showing off the curvature.

Now this one is an S15 in white, and although broadly similar in design, it is much chunkier and heavy and would not suit the SVX as well as the S14. It also is too deep, it would incur bump and kerb damage because the SVX suspension travel is longer than the Nissan.

Just to prove how attractive the S14 bumper can look, check out this model from Danny's photos, with handsome clear indicators:

No, seriously guys, look again, there is an S14 bumper in the picture. To the right of the picture.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Last edited by svxistentialist; 11-02-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:12 PM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T

Stock S15 =

Old 11-06-2009, 03:21 AM

I may add some more photos SVX from from Irkutsk, Russia.

So it looked earlier.

It is last variant.

It looks quite an original and interesting. But I think design from Cloud is more elegant and good.

Last edited by Farang; 11-06-2009 at 03:25 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:02 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
The S14 bumper strikes me as very close to what will work with the SVX, and I'll add a few pics below to illustrate.

But first I've borrowed some images from Danny's Photo Folder, I hope you don't mind Danny, because I have noticed that Danny's design owes a lot to the early Cloud style, which does work quite well on the SVX, although I think it could have been better for small changes.

This is Danny's design before paint, and I think it is exceptionally well done. Individual pillars are quite slender, and I would have liked it better if he kept the lower tray black rather than silver.

My main disapproval of it though is because it does not recess back from the nose, but drops vertically to end up looking like a snow plough.

Just to prove how attractive the S14 bumper can look, check out this model from Danny's photos, with handsome clear indicators:

No, seriously guys, look again, there is an S14 bumper in the picture. To the right of the picture.

Joe
No worries Joe, I do not mind at all.

You are right, the front splitter is not my pride and joy, but the bumper, I think this is the only one that looks excellent on the SVX. I didn't copy any Cloud design with it, it was just something I imagined from the 2002 WRX bumper and I ended up making a copy of the bumper and integrate it in the SVX. BTW, this is all fiberglass and not FG over plastic BS.

The good thing about that splitter is that it is bolted to the bumper. Just in case it gets damaged, I will remove it alone and redo it. But when I get back, I have a huge project for the SS, and will definitely be upgrading the front splitter, even the front bumper. The real surprise will be the rear bumper though

You are right about the S14 splitter in the last photo, I guess the clear vertical corner looks sexy from that angle, that is a must

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farang View Post
I may add some more photos SVX from from Irkutsk, Russia.

So it looked earlier.

It looks quite an original and interesting. But I think design from Cloud is more elegant and good.

I do like both versions of your car, honestly! I'm curious what front bumper this first design is based off of though. It looks like the aerogear, but I'm curious what car it was originally for?

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!
Old 11-09-2009, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
I do like both versions of your car, honestly! I'm curious what front bumper this first design is based off of though. It looks like the aerogear, but I'm curious what car it was originally for?
Hi, Nevin. It is not my car. I live approximately in 3000 miles from Irkutsk. It is in Siberia. I only read about this SVX in a press and I know that it was the winner of tuning shows.

Here articles... In Russian

http://automarket.su/old/artic05/tun5.shtml

http://www.automarket.su/2007/06/08/23tun_2007.html

It seemed to me all these photos already at this forum. However themes about new bodykit arise constantly. I'm in creation SVX's bodykit too. I hope to show results of strong efforts soon.

Nunquam Non Paratus
Old 11-09-2009, 01:30 AM

One more SVX here. It was in the city of Donetsk in Ukraine. This car has been discussed at a forum already couple of years ago.

Nunquam Non Paratus

Last edited by Farang; 11-09-2009 at 01:35 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:48 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
No worries Joe, I do not mind at all.

You are right, the front splitter is not my pride and joy, but the bumper, I think this is the only one that looks excellent on the SVX. I didn't copy any Cloud design with it, it was just something I imagined from the 2002 WRX bumper and I ended up making a copy of the bumper and integrate it in the SVX. BTW, this is all fiberglass and not FG over plastic BS.

The good thing about that splitter is that it is bolted to the bumper. Just in case it gets damaged, I will remove it alone and redo it. But when I get back, I have a huge project for the SS, and will definitely be upgrading the front splitter, even the front bumper. The real surprise will be the rear bumper though

You are right about the S14 splitter in the last photo, I guess the clear vertical corner looks sexy from that angle, that is a must
Good angle all right. No comment.

Danny I can see very strong resemblance to the WRX you copied from. What I meant was the opening below the bumper is a similar size and shape to the opening on the Cloud Mark 1 design.

Probably pure coincidence.

The execution of the work was excellent but it's my opinion that a bumper that works OK on a rally based car need not necessarily be stylistically suitable on a GT coupe. Again I hark back to and harp on about the fact that bumpers that drop vertically from the nose and vertically in front of the wheels at the corner end up looking like a snow plough or cow catcher on the SVX because of the amount of metal forward of the wheels.

Such bumpers work a treat on something like the 350Z because there is only a few inches of nose beyond the wheels on that car.

With the SVX the front bumper has to be returned underneath and slimmed at the sides to retain the car's penetrative look. I'm not even going to rephrase that even if it is an opening for double entendre. The SVX design study has styling cues taken from Fuji's aircraft manufacturer past. The main one is the unusual cockpit/cabin, but the long pointed nose/fuselage is another. Putting rallying skirts on the nose ruins the design integrity.

It is very, very possible to put a new bumper on the SVX and update the look while retaining the core design values that mimic projectiles and air penetration. The Cloud Mark 1 above is an excellent upgrade style, all it needs is to be folded back underneath from the most forward point to maintain the aggressive bullet profile.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl