Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-22-2009, 05:29 PM

Registered SVX
Idle shake question

Hello,

I already did a lengthy search, however I would appreciate any additional input. I get a shake at idle when I come to a stop and leave the car in drive. If I pop it into neutral and then back into drive, it goes away completely. When I first start the car it is fine, it only happens after It warms up. It is slightly worse at idle. I pulled the intake off 3 months ago and replaced all vacuum lines, so unless something came off since then, they should be fine. I also changed the plugs around that time, so they are new. The coils looked fine when I changed them. I will recheck the torque on the intake bolts to make sure that the bolts did not loosen a bit since I replaced the hoses as the gasket seated, however that seems unlikely. Does anyone else have any other ideas? I do not have a CEL, and the car drives fine otherwise. I get about 25mpg, so I know it is running pretty well. I have yet to rule out O2 sensor, however I plan on doing that when I change my timing belt in a few weeks.

Thanks again,
Joe
Old 03-22-2009, 05:48 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Idle shake question

whats the idle when it shakes?
Old 03-22-2009, 06:16 PM

Registered SVX

I have read normal idle is ~600rpm, with the AC off, sitting at a light, it is about there, with the ac on, it is a little higher. either way, the idle does not seem low, it just causes vibrations. Like I said, as soon as I put it in neutral, it feels like it is hardly running, and then when I put it back in drive it is fine. If i roll slightly at the light, even a few feet, the shake will come back.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:01 PM

sounds like a leaking coil pack when i say leaking i mean a bad insulator on the coil pack arcing in the plug recess causing a miss at idle, check the insulators on the coil packs, well thats my theory

cam