Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Suspension
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2009, 07:29 AM

Mychailo springs?

I plan on putting on replacement struts and springs in the next month or so. I want to keep the ride quality as stock as possible, but improve the handling a little bit. So I was planning on going with improved springs, either from motorsports, or mychailo. Does anyone know if Mychailo still sells them? I sent an email and got a return message that his mailbox is full.

The only reason I'm considering his springs rather than motorsport is because his seem to be a little more geared for comfort (rebound rate on the fronts is around 180lbs, versus 200lbs for the motorsports). And I'm going with the stock replacement struts because I really dont want to fool with the work required to cut the stock strut housing to accomodate Konis. So, anyone know about the Mychailo springs? And any feedback on improving handling while keeping the ride quality as stock as possible would be appreciated. Thanks.

Larry
Old 02-12-2009, 07:39 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Re: Mychailo springs?

I used to have them. They were a good ride with a lot better cornering over stock, however the stock struts failed me within a year. After that I went to the Koni/GC setup, which is far firmer with the settings I chose (450/350)

I'm pretty sure he pops in every now and then, but since his baby was born he wasnt as involved in the svx community.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 02-23-2009, 06:41 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

I have his springs and struts. He had the springs made for him at a local spring shop, but had some problems which caused him to switch shops. (One of mine is a little weak.) I have "stock" height springs. The mechanic ( a Subaru Master Tech) I use says the car feels better that the WRX. The ride is fine for daily driving, even on rough roads.

Mychailo posted a few months ago that he no longer had time to do the custom SVX stuff. Too bad because he is really a straight up guy and very easy to work with.

If you take the specs he posted on his web site to a local spring shop I'm sure you could get new ones made then locally powder coated.
http://rallyeng.selfip.com:8080/SVX/...t_springs.html

As for the Koni. They are not hard to do. All you need is a spring compressor and a pipe cutter. (or hacksaw but the pipe cutter is easier) If you don't want to do it yourself you could take the old struts and new springs to most any garage. It shouldn't take a good mechanic more than 1 1/2 hours to take off the old springs, cut the struts, slide in the inserts and put on the new springs.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:48 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Just an aside. Have a look at your bushings and bearings before you start the job. If you have to replace them now is the time as most of the disassembly will have been done to replace the struts.