How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-27-2008, 07:15 PM
A.L.I.C.E.

Send a message via AIM to techy101 Send a message via Yahoo to techy101
Transmission and Power Steering Problems. Please Help!

So I've been contemplating parting the car out, but after a couple of days to cool down, I'm looking for some help on fixing these problems.

Problem Number 1:
-Firstly, This one is 100% my fault. Now with that out of the way... I was replacing the internal transmission filter in the SVX the other day. Everything seemed to be going well. I was putting the new gasket in and re-attaching the oil pan to the car. I tightened everything down, trying to be gentle but firm. I've not purchased a torque wrench that can reliably measure 8-10lbs, but it's now at the top of the list.
Anyway. I put the car in the driveway waiting for the new PS pump to get here. The next day there was a very large puddle under the car. It was most defiantly leaking. I put the car back up on jack stands and went to re-torque any loose bolts. Well........ I was under there and I found two that with just a tad bit of extra pressure started spinning freely. So I stripped those out. One bolt head sheared off when I was trying to tighten it.

So, I still have the leak, with two stripped bolt holes, one sheared bolt, and the possibility that I've damaged an unknown number of other bolts in the process.

Someone on here has to have done something like this, any ideas on the cheapest way to fix this? Between both problems I would have a very very hard time putting to much money (over $300) into the car at this point.

That was the first problem. Problem number 2:

The other week I was driving along an all of a sudden there were huge plumes of blue smoke coming from behind the car. Bad enough that it was hard to see the car behind me. I thought the worst, but the car was still running fine and I was pretty close to home. I decided to try and nurse the car home. After a minute or so the cabin started to fill up with blue smoke, and it was apparent that the problem wasn't inside the motor.

As I was pulling off the highway I noticed that power steering seemed to be gone. I got off the highway and popped the hood. The PS/Alt belt was almost shredded. Only two "ribs" were still attached and the rest was strewn around the engine bay. I opted to have the car towed the rest of the way home since I have towing insurance.

I traced the problem to a pretty major leak in one hose coming off of the steering rack directly above the exhaust pipe (thus the smoke). It appears that the pump ran dry and got damaged because it was making a horrible noise as well as destroying the belt. The offending hose is #11 on this diagram (which btw, has got to be one of the hardest places to get to on the whole damn car.)

I replaced the hose and the PS pump. I put fluid back in the system and started it up. Everything seemed fine for about a minute, when I looked and the PS Reservoir cap was spewing fluid all over the place. It looked a lot like one of those volcanoes you make with baking soda and vinegar. Then almost immediately it started making a terrible grinding/screeching noise.

That brings us to right now. I've got a large paperweight on jack stands in my garage with a big puddle of fluid underneath, and no real idea how to fix it. I really don't want to scrap the car over something small, but I also don't have much money to put into it right now, as I'm looking at going back to college for a career change.

So, humbly I ask for as much help as possible.

-Matthew
Old 09-27-2008, 07:22 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX
Re: Transmission and Power Steering Problems. Please Help!

try using an ez out for getting the stripped bolts out. And about the p/s fluid did you turn the wheel to let any air out of the system?
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 09-27-2008, 07:24 PM
A.L.I.C.E.

I turned the wheel lock to lock a few times before starting the car, then again after starting it up with the cap off, then put the cap back on. did I do this wrong?
Old 09-27-2008, 07:50 PM

Yup use an easy out to get the bolt with a broken head off, assuming you even need that. (I can't imagine it is tight)

Helicoil for the stripped holes. Helicoil comes in a kit with an oversize drill for the hole that has stripped thread, and a tap to tap the thread larger, and an insert that you thread back in to get the thread size correct again.

For power steering is it the o-ring problem?
Old 09-27-2008, 07:59 PM
A.L.I.C.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstape View Post
Yup use an easy out to get the bolt with a broken head off, assuming you even need that. (I can't imagine it is tight)

Helicoil for the stripped holes. Helicoil comes in a kit with an oversize drill for the hole that has stripped thread, and a tap to tap the thread larger, and an insert that you thread back in to get the thread size correct again.

For power steering is it the o-ring problem?

My fear is that it will continue to leak? It is on there pretty tight but still seems to be leaking. When I took it off there were two gaskets on, and it took a whole lot of work to get one off of the oil pan.

Where can one get a Helicoil? and how much do they cost?

I'm not familiar with the o-ring problem?
Old 09-27-2008, 08:32 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

+1 on the helicoil! they are life savers. I have them in almost every size of SVX hardware. Drill out the broken bolt and simple helicoil the stripped ones after you pull the bolts. Also, use an OEM gasket... the aftermarket ones are cheap and flimsy. The o-ring is sandwiched between the reservoir and the actual pump... Need some torx bits and pull the reservoir off to replace it.

Tom
Old 09-27-2008, 08:36 PM
A.L.I.C.E.

Where can I buy these Helicoil things?

For the PS problem, any ideas as to what might have happened? It wasn't a leaking o-ring. It was a major flow coming from the cap on the reservoir.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:50 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

My FSM states the torque for oil pan bolts is 2.5-3.3 ft-lb, so use of an "inch-pound" torque wrench is in order. Simply multiply ft-lb by 12 (30-40 in-lb). It's impossible to know if you've damaged any of the other threaded holes, but be aware when tightening bolts into aluminum just how soft it is. Tom's advice is spot on re use of the OEM gasket.

Helicoils are available at any auto parts store. Just take one of the bolts with you to arrange purchase of proper size.

As far as the steering pump, FSM states to turn lock-to-lock SLOWLY 3X and make certain all bubbles rising in the tank have stopped. If it continues, shut down, wait 30 min and repeat. Sounds like you didn't adequately bleed air from the system if it makes grinding noise. You most likely have not damaged the pump.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 09-27-2008, 08:52 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RojoRocket View Post
My FSM states the torque for oil pan bolts is 2.5-3.3 ft-lb, so use of an "inch-pound" torque wrench is in order. Simply multiply ft-lb by 12 (30-40 in-lb). It's impossible to know if you've damaged any of the other threaded holes, but be aware when tightening bolts into aluminum just how soft it is. Tom's advice is spot on re use of the OEM gasket.

Helicoils are available at any auto parts store. Just take one of the bolts with you to arrange purchase of proper size.

As far as the steering pump, FSM states to turn lock-to-lock SLOWLY 3X and make certain all bubbles rising in the tank have stopped. If it continues, shut down, wait 30 min and repeat. Sounds like you didn't adequately bleed air from the system if it makes grinding noise. You most likely have not damaged the pump.

Glenn
Sound advice...

Tom
Old 09-27-2008, 09:02 PM
A.L.I.C.E.

I will look into the PS issue on Monday or Tuesday (My weekend). I only ever use OE gaskets, especially since the local scooby club gets a hefty discount through one of our local dealers.

Stupid question, but do you go lock to lock with the car running or not, and with the cap on or off?

Thank you all for the help btw.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:11 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by techy101 View Post
I will look into the PS issue on Monday or Tuesday (My weekend). I only ever use OE gaskets, especially since the local scooby club gets a hefty discount through one of our local dealers.

Stupid question, but do you go lock to lock with the car running or not, and with the cap on or off?

Thank you all for the help btw.
I used to do it w/o the car running but anymore I make sure the tank has oil in it and I do it while running. if it keeps up just allow it time to sit and repeat procedure

Tom
Old 09-28-2008, 01:32 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Yeah as far as the P/S goes, bubbling is just a symptom of large amounts of air in the lines. Quick question...... did you refill your P/S reservoir with ATF or power steering fluid?? Sometimes mixing incompatible lubricants will cause foaming that will erupt past any caps on the system. It should not by any means be so full of air that it foams out, even with lots of air in the lines so id double check what fluid was, and is now being used in the P/S system. Good luck!

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:34 PM
A.L.I.C.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
Yeah as far as the P/S goes, bubbling is just a symptom of large amounts of air in the lines. Quick question...... did you refill your P/S reservoir with ATF or power steering fluid?? Sometimes mixing incompatible lubricants will cause foaming that will erupt past any caps on the system. It should not by any means be so full of air that it foams out, even with lots of air in the lines so id double check what fluid was, and is now being used in the P/S system. Good luck!

I have no idea what fluid was in it before, but I used Dextron III (said it complies with Dex II as well) ATF. The cap calls for Dex II, was this a bad decision?
Old 09-28-2008, 01:40 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by techy101 View Post
I have no idea what fluid was in it before, but I used Dextron III (said it complies with Dex II as well) ATF. The cap calls for Dex II, was this a bad decision?
No Dex III will be perfect.

Tom
Old 09-28-2008, 01:43 PM

If bleeding by going lock to lock a bunch of times doesn't work I would bet the problem is then the o-ring between the tank and the pump. Especially since you had the pump off.. when you tiggten down the third bolt that is in the back it tends to dislodge the tank from the pump, and the old non plyable o ring lets in air. Its not an issue of mixing Dex 3 and Dex 2