SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-25-2008, 01:18 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Unhappy A Sad Day for Me.

ODE To My Missing Part

As I sit here missing her, and recalling how special she made me feel, tears brimming in my eyes, I wonder…….. Am I completely nuts?
Over the years prior to my possessing her, I remember the desire I felt every time I saw one of her sisters gliding by, and I wonder…. How could I feel this way about a machine?

We were closely related for years before she came to me in 2004, already 11 years of age, from another loved one who wished to keep her close, and safe, and share her beauty, and sense of something “special” with me.
I can close my eyes and be there in her protective cocoon, whistling along at 110 down the long straights of my favorite remote hiway, and confidently pushing her through the hairpins and sweepers and whoopties…..and here come the tears again.
Now, looking over and over at the images of her demise, I realize exactly how much a part of me she had become, and again I wonder……Am I completely insane?

She was “just a car”, and “she can be replaced” they say, and I wonder….Then why do I feel I’m missing a part of me? At nearly 60 years of age, how could I have let her under my skin, and into my heart in such a way? And I begin to see the truly unique character of this machine, and why I could spend hours reading and conversing with complete strangers about her. Perusing page after page of eBay ads looking for some broken geegaw or other, and suddenly…….. I find myself in a quandary….What to do now?

Would I be able to go through this melding process again, with one of her sister-cars? Do I want to? The grief and pain I feel at her passing makes me wonder. Could it ever be the same, when, despite my careful driving, some twist of fate could again rob me, of, not “just a car”…..but a very special part of me ?

As you may have guessed by now, my beautiful car will never again whistle down my favorite back roads with me at the wheel. She passed away yesterday, 7/24/2008, 163,000 miles and change on the ODO. May she Rest in Peace, wherever it is special vehicles of her ilk find peace.

It was very sad to see her sitting there demolished, steam rising, fluids dripping, while blood ran down my leg into my shoe. This "senior citizen" of the female persuasion, turned across my path at approx 35 mph, at a 45 degree angle about 30-40 feet in front of me, as I was doing 45-50 mph. We collided nearly head on, as I believe I jerked the steering to the right milli-seconds b4 impact. I had no time to even touch the brakes. Both cars, hers an S-10 pickup were totaled. She went across the center console, fracturing her pelvis, while I hit the drivers door, breaking one rib on the arm-rest, I believe. I lost consciousness on impact, coming around to see the airbag deflated on my steering wheel, and hopping mad at the asshat that just wrecked my wonderful car. Climbing out the passenger side door, in shock, I now realize, I marched toward her car, about 50 ft away to give her a piece of my mind. I found she was lying across the center console, moaning incoherently, and started to realize just how lucky I was. About then the medics and SFD showed up and sat me down, back-boarded/collared me, etc, and off to the Trauma center we went. I don't recall seeing a seatbelt on her. A nurse at the trauma center later passed on a sincere apology from her to me, saying she was sorry, and just didn't SEE ME!!! I'm still angry, but mostly at the situation, and loss of my beautiful car. I've thanked the Lord numerous times for the fact she wasn't driving a larger vehicle, as the results could have been far different. My Safety Vehicle Experimental (SVX) came out the "winner" in this contest, and although lucky to be alive, I’m the loser.

Pics of my Baby
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...1/DSC05906.jpg
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...1/DSC05904.jpg
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...1/DSC05905.jpg

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 07-25-2008, 01:26 PM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: A Sad Day for Me.

Yikes! That was some impact. Thank God you (and the lady driver) will be OK. Seems like were loosing a a lot of Red SVX's lately. Get a replacement quickly, the best therapy.
Gene
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)
Old 07-25-2008, 01:27 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm

*tear*
*sniff*

Good to know know every person survived.

I think Earl might have a little more trouble bringing this one back from the dead.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:47 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Glad to hear that you are safe, and very sorry about your loss.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:01 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

Thank you, Gene, David and Mike for the kind thoughts. I realized this morning that I needed to grieve the passing of my beloved SVX, and despite the pain in my ribs, and the regimen of pain pills, and hourly inhalation through the "Airlife" device, this has been a very emotional day. I've sensed this from other owners when they've lost a car, but thought "it could never happen to me".
I just finished supplying the recorded "statement" for my insurer, and await a call from the Appraiser. He called last night, saying the tow-yard operator assured him it was a total loss, and he was prepared to write me a check, and have the "carcass" towed for scrap. I told him I wanted to discuss purchasing the "carcass", as there were some valuable parts/accessories I might recover, and asked him if he knew anything about these cars. When he said "no, enlighten me", I did so, explaining the rarity of the car, low production numbers, etc. He then said in light of this info he would visit the yard today and see what he could do for me. He asked me what I thought the car was worth, and I said if I had put it up for sale yesterday morning I would have asked for between $5-6K.
He called from the yard this morning, offering his sympathies at the loss of such a beautiful car, understanding why I was so bummed at the loss, and asking more specifics about it's equipment, etc. etc., wondering about the "function" of the unique window design and promised to get back with me as soon as he has submitted his report and recommendations. So, I wait.
Please note, this is CSAA, and they have always treated me more than fairly, with an offer of 30 days of rental car should I need it.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!

Old 07-25-2008, 03:05 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Glad you are safe and sorry for your loss

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:59 PM
I'm the anti-do-gooder

Wow those pics actually sicken me for real....what a loss, but I'm glad you are OK. I think you should to try to get another one ASAP. I would def get another if that happened to mine. Sorry for your loss.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX

your one lucky guy, the car can always be replaced !!! best wishes
Old 07-25-2008, 09:08 PM

Unhappy Re: A Sad Day for Me.

Rocket -

After looking at the pictures, it is crystal clear to me that your lovely redhead gave up her life for you. Luck aside, if you had been in a "lesser" car, the results could have been far worse. Our state (California) has lost a premium example of our car.

What pulls at my heart strings is the 1993 25th Anniversary Edition is the first SVX I test drove (and fell in love with) at a Subaru dealership here in LA back when it first came out. That gorgeous red exterior with supple beige leather interior was (and still is) a killer combination, to say nothing of the joy I experienced in driving the car. I vowed then I would at some point own a SVX. I just wasn't quite ready at that point to give up my RX-7.

Good luck, and best wishes for a speedy and full recovery. And, even though the accident was her fault, I can only wish the same for the elderly woman. Even in her pain, she had the decency to apologize - a rare demonstration of remorse and concern in this age of self-absorbed, non-caring jerkoffs.

Ciao
Old 07-25-2008, 09:16 PM
Inhabitant of Darkness

Registered SVX

that's some major impact ~
1992 Subaru SVX LS~L Ebony Pearl JDM 6MT/DCCD
2007 Subaru Legacy Spec B. Diamond Grey Metallic
Old 07-25-2008, 11:57 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX

Your car took it like a champ - and your body thanked it for it. The SVX is a tank in crashes. It's a wonder we see people walk out with only scrapes and some minor fractures/breaks and these terrible accidents.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 07-26-2008, 06:06 AM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorelyVeXed View Post
Rocket -

After looking at the pictures, it is crystal clear to me that your lovely redhead gave up her life for you. Luck aside, if you had been in a "lesser" car, the results could have been far worse. Our state (California) has lost a premium example of our car.

What pulls at my heart strings is the 1993 25th Anniversary Edition is the first SVX I test drove (and fell in love with) at a Subaru dealership here in LA back when it first came out. That gorgeous red exterior with supple beige leather interior was (and still is) a killer combination, to say nothing of the joy I experienced in driving the car. I vowed then I would at some point own a SVX. I just wasn't quite ready at that point to give up my RX-7.

Good luck, and best wishes for a speedy and full recovery. And, even though the accident was her fault, I can only wish the same for the elderly woman. Even in her pain, she had the decency to apologize - a rare demonstration of remorse and concern in this age of self-absorbed, non-caring jerkoffs.

Ciao
Thanks!! I can tell you understand my sense of loss. I too hope the lady comes out of this whole experience whole. I worry for her, and can still see the anguish in her face lying there in her broken little truck.

Quote:
Your car took it like a champ - and your body thanked it for it. The SVX is a tank in crashes. It's a wonder we see people walk out with only scrapes and some minor fractures/breaks and these terrible accidents.

Manarius
Thanks Manarius. You're absolutely correct about the little "tank" taking the hit for me. My son visited her to retrieve some of my personal effects, and the tow-truck driver commented about the impressive structural integrity of the little beast. My little sister commented about riding in her and feeling as though she were in a "big car in a little body". This is one of the BIG reasons I lean toward finding another one, despite the wife's urging that I replace her with a "Grownup Car"

Thanks again to all who have wished me well, and shared my grief and sense of loss. Remember to drive your precious cars safely, knowing that there are those drivers out there less skillfull and attentive, driving alongside you. It all happened in the blink of an eye.

Glenn Increasingly sore and hurtin', but ALIVE!

Old 07-26-2008, 06:11 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

Glad to hear you walked away with minor injuries compared to the other woman. The cabin space doesnt appear to have any intrusions as opposed to how a lot of the modern cars would have been much worse.

The SVX really is a solid car despite outsiders complaining that it is a heavy car. In this situation the extra heft really was beneficial. Hope you find another one
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 07-26-2008, 06:07 PM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

My worst nightmare. Better start the search for a new special svx.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RojoRocket View Post
Thanks again to all who have wished me well, and shared my grief and sense of loss. Remember to drive your precious cars safely, knowing that there are those drivers out there less skillfull and attentive, driving alongside you. It all happened in the blink of an eye.
We all feel your loss.
The form is like a big family. We pull for each other and even fuss with each other at times, just like any family.

Question?

Were you driving with your headlights on? I never drive without mine on the bright setting!
I even adjusted the low beams lo enough that I can get by with them set on bright all the time with no complaints.

That could have made a difference for you...

Just a thought,
Keith