Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Body Modifications

Old 09-30-2008, 11:25 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Re: Finally some progress...

Looking good! One day my car will go through this process...plus a lot of sheet metal replacement...

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 10-01-2008, 05:06 AM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

I sand my primers like this- guidecoat, 400 wet, guidecoat again, then finish it with 600 wet for that super smooth surface.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 10-07-2008, 12:10 AM

I am painting my SVX satin black also...
ill give you some quick tips.

If your sand paper gummed up when you wet sanded that means the primer was not dry...did you mix in enough hardener?

grit 600+ wont leave marks under the base coat.

The stripes on the sealer would be covered by the base coat however, most sealers require that you apply the base coat within 1-2 hours otherwise you have to sand again.

I am guessing you have a gravity feed spray gun hopefully not a totally cheap one. You need an extra pressure regulator with a gauge mounted to the gun so you can dial in the correct pressure. The tip of the gun is also important, I use a 1.7 mil for primers and a 1.5mil for base and clear. You also need water/oil filter separator mounted to the air inlet on the gun. They cost $10 and look like orange plastic balls.

To get the gun to spray correctly get some cardboard. Fill the gun with lacquer thinner. Adjust the fan so that you get a straight line wet spot when you spray the cardboard...not a hourglass and not a round or oval.

Also adjust the air pressure on the dial. The air pressure is read when you press the triger halfway so that youre blowing air but no paint. Every gun is a lil different. With my sata i use 40psi for clear...but for a cheaper gun try around 30psi. As for the paint feed dial, open it less for base and more for clear.

You will need a small plastic filter for the paint cup on the gun and large filters when you pour the paint in the gun...you dont want any particles in the paint at all.

Most important: clean with proper Degreaser after you sand and wash with water. Use damp paper ShopTowel's the blue ones.

Once you finish spraying the sealer use TacCloths to get the dust off after each coat of base dries and right before you clear.

Lastly...clear coat is incredibly hard to lay smooth when doing a whole car...what makes it even harder is the fact that you dont have a down draft spray both..this will cause all the clear coat fog in the air to precipitate down and make it impossible to get a smooth finish. Usually you would wet sand the clear with 1500grit and buff it with compound and a buffer with a foam pad but because this is a flat finish you cant do that.

Flat crear coat finishes are tough even for expert bodyshops...i would not even try it without a booth, and Ive been painting for years.

I will be using SEM HR010 HOT ROD BLACK PAINT on my car because it will be alot easier to get a quality finish and touch up later.

It is a one stage urethane and has uv shield built in...unlike other one stage paints which are enamels and fade this one should last alot longer.

Hope this helps...let me know if you have more questions

Last edited by triumph1902; 10-07-2008 at 12:15 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:51 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX10 View Post

Hmmm I wonder... how will my car look in that color especially that I have a bodykit on

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10

Triumph,
Thanks for the detailed info. A majority of that is stuff that I've become familiar with during this project. Sounds like I should use 600 grit, though. I was under the impression that 400 was enough.

Concerning the sandpaper, it wasn't gumming up, it was just getting clogged with the residue. The residue was a dry powder, though...no issues with hardener.

I used a 1.8tip for primer per the product info sheet. When I've sprayed before I've used a 1.3mm for color and clear. I have a 1.5 though. Which is better and why? Already have the oil/water separator. Don't have a pressure regulator for the gun...I'll pick one up.

One thing I did get that helped a bit with pressure was the high flow fittings. I was able to go longer before the compressor would have to fire back on. A nice little bonus, but not necessary for a good job.

I've been cleaning before spraying with a proper degreaser throughout the project. That is always followed by tack cloth immediately before painting. Adhesion has been great so far.

Thanks for the gun setup info. That should come in really helpful. I'm plannign to get a test piece soon, so I'll try that setup on a test panel.

Also, I'm going to try to locate a downdraft booth not only for the spray fog, but also becuase it'll be cleaner than my garage. Despite a pretty thorough pre-cleaning of my garage, a few particles still settled into the primer. I don't want that on the final spray, so I'm going to try to find a booth to use. I have 2 leads right now (friend's dad's shop, friend of a friend), so hopefully one can let me use it on a weekend.

Still not sure on single stg vs. bc/cc. I realize the 1 stg. is smarter because of application and repair. Actually, 1 stage frequently looks better, too, in flat applications. I had just planned on the base/clear for durability/longevity/quality. While I know I couldn't get a glass smooth flat clear application, I thought I could do an adequate job. The flatness of the finish hid most of the orange peel appearance on the practice panel i did a few months back.

I'd love to hear some more input. Thanks for the help!
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 10-07-2008, 10:39 PM

As far as gun tips go...the thicker the liquid you spray the larger the tip you need. Base coat is a relatively thin so, usually, you would use a 1.3-1.4mm tip... with Clear coat, which tends to be less viscous, you want 1.6-1.7...primer tends to be even thicker so you can go 1.7-1.9 and then 1.9+ tips are for undercoats and spray glazes. I use a 1.5mm tip on My SATA because its big enough for clear and small enough for base as far a my gun goes. Also because I dont have a heated spray booth and spray in cool temps..I tend to reduce the clear more then usual so it lays flatter...of course this makes it more prone to runs.

You are absolutely correct that a 2 stage base coat /clear coat urethane finish would be the most durable, however it is extremely difficult to get good results with flat clear. I expect the SEM 1 stage urethane to last 3-5 years without fading as a daily driver, and during that time should it need repairs I can easily do them...and even if it fades i can just sand it and spray it again...the 2 stage will last 10 years but will be impossible to touch up and may not come out as well as the one stage...thats why I decided to stay with the one stage in this case.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:20 PM

We're almost to the paint stage. The primer has been wet sanded and blocked with 400 grit. The finish is very smooth, but some very fine ripples on areas of the door surfaces, trunk lid, and hood. They'd probably show on a traditional gloss paint job, but the satin finish will certainly hide them well. Here are a few pics...

Overall

Slight ripple

Good reflection

Needs some more work

Now I just need to decide if I'll spray a single stage myself or pay to have a base/clear job done at a shop...decisions decissions. First I gotta get it running right
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

Old 04-07-2009, 07:58 PM

Registered SVX

Did you spray all the panels/cladding/garnish on the car?
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Past subies:

98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 04-08-2009, 12:06 AM

Yes I did. A conscious decision to avoid breaking clips and their attachment points on the garnish pieces. it will result in some negative results...i realize that...but I really didn't feel like battling with the removal and, most likely, replacement of these pieces.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:21 AM

Not trying to threadjack, my thread has been long lost and we are pretty much on the same track. Here are some semi-final shots of the satin job I've been working on. I ended up having a guy at work paint the lower clading and bumpers gloss with a base/clear. Turned out pretty darn good for being done in a mixer shop! The hood still needs to be fixed and painted, and I will end up paiting from the trim lines up, on the bumper satin to match the ca's lines.

If you go with the single stage, I would stear clear(no pun intended) of the hot rod flatz. This is the second time I sprayed it. I am definetly no pro, but without a booth and the inability to buff a flat paintjob, it is hard to get this paint to come out great. It was cold when i sprayed it which had some effect, but overall the laydown was really inconsistant.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:32 AM

Registered SVX

One word PPG 2060 "flexed and flat" clear. it's the easiest semigloss/flat clear i've ever sprayed.
Past subies:

98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 04-14-2009, 10:20 AM

gwarusee, thanks for the update. I've been watching for the latest on your spray job.

I finally got my car fixed, so I can now take it to a paint shop to get some quotes. What happens next depends alot upon what it's going to cost for the different options.

Is the PPG 2060 single stage, or is it just the flattened clearcoat?

Old 04-14-2009, 10:39 AM

Looks very interesting.

I have never painted a thing with an airgun, but it is interesting to read about. My brother-in-law does that for a living...

The Lexus posted is one tuned by Five Axis, and those wheels are available for sale, and are 5x114. S5:F Wheels (X5:F also look good...)

I can't help but wonder what those wheels might look like on an SVX, matte black or otherwise.

Look forward to seeing more pics of the progress on the matte paint job.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:45 PM

Registered SVX

SVX10, I've never heard of a single stage clear? The PPG 2060 "flexed&flat" clear can be mixed either semi-gloss or flat depending on what you want. I can't remember if you mix it with a little clear for flat or not cause I do mostly semi with it and I put clear/hardener/2060 flexed&flat/reducer. Honestly this clear is dummyproof, it sprays on wet and drys flat so you know you have the thing covered. Get a product data sheet from your local paint supplyer and see what all you need to get with it.
Past subies:

98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 04-15-2009, 10:00 AM

That sounds like the Sherwin Williams stuff I played with before. I did a 5:1 flat to regular clear mixture and got a good satin look. It too sprays on wet and drys flat. I was just confirming that it was a clearcoat only (it needs to be sprayed over a color basecoat), not a flat single stage black paint like the Flatz colors.

When I was spraying the Sherwin Williams stuff, I had a hard time getting the reducer and air gun set right. I either had tons of orange peel or runs. Thus, I plan to have somebody else do the actual paint job (as much as I'd like to spray it myself)