Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-13-2008, 09:17 AM
A mom with style ;-)

Send a message via Yahoo to momzsvx
Thank you everyone.

I am too glad no one was hurt. I feel so safe in these cars. I just find it unreal his rate of speed was @ 35 miles per hr. In order to do so much damage to my car. I had not touched the brakes nor did I hear his squeal. I have debated to fight it in court. My record is very clean hence from the day before yesterday. Has anyone battled a ticket in court and won? My only perception of fighting it would be I had enough clear distance to cross the intersection without stepping on the gas. My judgement could have been in error but I find that hard to believe on this instance. It would be hard to prove my case. Not everyone knows what a subaru svx is and so forth. I have never done anything like this. I am not sure if I go to court if my record would be clear. That is my main concern. I aim to have clean records. I was young once and had a few oopsey's in my day. My record has been clean for over 13 years. I am so upset about this whole thing.

92 LS-L parts
94-LSi My baby
95-(AWD) polo green T-Boned
Old 03-13-2008, 09:26 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
Which seals are you trying to remove? The door rubber?
Old 03-13-2008, 09:58 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
The SVX does its job again!!! To this day, I have never heard of someone crashing an SVX and getting seriously hurt, or dying... These cars are very safe. Sorry to hear about the accident... Glad everyone is ok

TOm
I remember a few years ago a member died in his pearlie. I'm not certain of his name, but I remember he was an EMT, had done a very long shift, and fell asleep at the wheel. I believe his mom said she was going to busy him with the hood badge because he loved the car so much.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 03-13-2008, 10:10 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets View Post
I remember a few years ago a member died in his pearlie. I'm not certain of his name, but I remember he was an EMT, had done a very long shift, and fell asleep at the wheel. I believe his mom said she was going to busy him with the hood badge because he loved the car so much.
Yup, I think Chris Pape was his name. There was also an article in his town's local paper talking about the incident and how his mom was burying him with the ornament because he loved his SVX so much.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 03-13-2008, 02:17 PM
A mom with style ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike621 View Post
Which seals are you trying to remove? The door rubber?
I may have not described it correctly. When you open the door on either side you see those plastic strips that make the car look finished. There are fasteners that attach it to the car. I know it will come off, but I just want to save as many of those fasteners as possible.

92 LS-L parts
94-LSi My baby
Old 03-13-2008, 06:06 PM
Still rebuilding my block...
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to cozykat Send a message via MSN to cozykat Send a message via Yahoo to cozykat
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
I'm really sorry to hear about what happened to your SVX. I am glad everyone was okay (the SVX is a pretty wonderful protector from what I have seen) and I hope that you are able to keep your SVX. How much does it cost to straighten out the frame, I wonder (and is it worth it or is structural integrity already lost?).

Hope the news from the insurance adjuster isn't too terrible....

p.s. Didn't you also have some bad luck with a car wash stripping the paint off the door of your pearl? How did that turn out?

'93 LSL Anniversary Edition - 02/93 - 150,998 Daily Driver - Forged EG33 (long block), 6MT swap, and re-upholstered interior
'92 Pearl - 100k Side restoration project
Locker | Old Locker | Shutterfly | ReadingIX | Facebook | Instagram
Old 03-13-2008, 06:37 PM
A mom with style ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozykat View Post
I'm really sorry to hear about what happened to your SVX. I am glad everyone was okay (the SVX is a pretty wonderful protector from what I have seen) and I hope that you are able to keep your SVX. How much does it cost to straighten out the frame, I wonder (and is it worth it or is structural integrity already lost?).

Hope the news from the insurance adjuster isn't too terrible....

p.s. Didn't you also have some bad luck with a car wash stripping the paint off the door of your pearl? How did that turn out?
Yes, this was the same car, it was doomed from day one. I just feel so bad, I was the second owner of this car. If I was the first owner and if they new dang, I would be so ticked off for selling the car.

The frame is bent really bad. The passenger door smooshed into the seat and the seats shifted. I had a bit of struggle opening up the drivers door to get out.

92 LS-L parts
94-LSi My baby
Old 03-13-2008, 06:57 PM
Looks and smells great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momzsvx View Post
I am too glad no one was hurt. I feel so safe in these cars. I just find it unreal his rate of speed was @ 35 miles per hr. In order to do so much damage to my car. I had not touched the brakes nor did I hear his squeal. I have debated to fight it in court. My record is very clean hence from the day before yesterday. Has anyone battled a ticket in court and won? My only perception of fighting it would be I had enough clear distance to cross the intersection without stepping on the gas. My judgement could have been in error but I find that hard to believe on this instance. It would be hard to prove my case. Not everyone knows what a subaru svx is and so forth. I have never done anything like this. I am not sure if I go to court if my record would be clear. That is my main concern. I aim to have clean records. I was young once and had a few oopsey's in my day. My record has been clean for over 13 years. I am so upset about this whole thing.
First off, your car is a total for sure. It's up to you, but if you decide to retain salvage ("keep it," in other words) you can probably get more out of selling the useful parts than you'll have deducted from your settlement for the salvage value. Oh, and if you swap out tires it will negatively affect your salvage value, but perhaps not by too terribly much. Ask the total loss adjustor you're bound to speak with about this and they should be able to give you hard numbers.

Second, liability is a tricky thing under the best of circumstances. Unfortunately, you are in the position of trying to prove speed on the other vehicle. It's difficult at best. However, don't rely too heavily on what the cop says. If the officer wasn't on scene when the loss occurred, his conclusions aren't worth the paper they're written on (a good insurance adjustor will tear most police reports to shreds and a lot of people often have their tickets thrown out in court; trust me ).

Yes, you have a duty to ensure that your crossing is safe when you enter upon or cross over a highway from a stop sign, but in most states the other vehicle has a duty to yield to you once your vehicle has begun safe crossing. The key here is to prove that you properly yielded and that the other vehicle was the one creating the unsafe condition (we call that, "proximate cause" in insurance; basically the vehicle without whose actions that the loss would not have occurred).

I'd be happy to take a look at the facts of loss and such and see if there's any way I can help. PM me and I can let you know what kind of details I need. The fact that you were coming off of a stop sign doesn't bode well for you, to be honest; but the area and intensity of impact could also suggest that the other vehicle did not do its part to safely cross the intersection, too. Cops tend to find fault first and back it up later; us insurance adjustors do the opposite.
1992 LSL Pearlie: 108k, 15min/$15 mod, Alternator wiring "upgrade," Power Mode switch, K&N drop-in, 4500k 35w low-beam HIDs, 3000k 35w fog HIDs, lots more planned (pending funds, of course)- 4.44 5spd being at the top of the list.
"We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
-C.S. Lewis
Old 03-19-2008, 06:47 PM
A mom with style ;-)

Updated the end result on estimate.

92 LS-L parts
94-LSi My baby
Old 03-19-2008, 06:52 PM
Looks and smells great.

You can always call up some salvage yards and see what the going price is for an SVX. I would think that, due to the relative rarity of the vehicle, $550 is not too high. Of course, you could probably get more than $550 eBaying the parts off of a stripped SVX; but that would be a PITA.
1992 LSL Pearlie: 108k, 15min/$15 mod, Alternator wiring "upgrade," Power Mode switch, K&N drop-in, 4500k 35w low-beam HIDs, 3000k 35w fog HIDs, lots more planned (pending funds, of course)- 4.44 5spd being at the top of the list.
"We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
-C.S. Lewis
Old 03-19-2008, 07:05 PM
A mom with style ;-)

I just might do that, as I bought a 92 svx for a donor car for way lower than that off a dealer’s lot. It even cost me $100 dollars to have it on a flat bed to my house. The down side is I have tires on there that are less than a year old. They will have to go with the car, but I can take my stereo out not sure how to do that yet, but for a gal will learn tomorrow. I want to swap out the radiator between my pearlie and so forth before Monday.

92 LS-L parts
94-LSi My baby
Old 03-19-2008, 07:07 PM
A mom with style ;-)

Does the estimate sound good, I was hoping for a little more just b/c I am selfish

92 LS-L parts
94-LSi My baby
Old 03-19-2008, 07:21 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
I would take the settlement and buy the car back. Is the w/s still good?
Old 03-19-2008, 09:37 PM
A mom with style ;-)

No big cracks, the only good things are the tires, foward and aft area. The right side (passenger area) is bad.

92 LS-L parts
94-LSi My baby
Old 03-19-2008, 11:32 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
definently buy it back from the insurance...no sence sending he engine, trans, glass, seats, airbags(If they didnt go off) ecu, tcu, wiring harness, fuel pump, window morots and regualators, switches, ect. go to the scrap yard. buy it back, even if only to get the parts you needed off of it and sell the rest to someone who will pick it up and make sure all the remains went to good use

dare I even mention a former member in ohio that buys and sells svx parts..Im sure he would pay you what you had to pay to get the car back from the insurance
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Last edited by It's Just Eric; 03-19-2008 at 11:34 PM.