Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2008, 08:22 PM

State farm is the worst of the insurance crooks...

They even have a book on the best way to steel! They are a part of a clas action suit in some states now.
Their adjusters get paid to lie and their agants get paid to steal.
My legacy wagon was totaled by one of their drivers (a 16 year old girl type)
It took them 6 months to pay me half what the car was worth.
They even changed the "buy it back" price, saying it was worth more than they thought. I just said that is what I had been telling them for months.
Your car is worth more than 4,000 and in a few years it would be worth a lot more.
My suggestion, Buy it back!
Old 02-12-2008, 08:26 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreIBNR View Post
I believe mine had a bit more damage than that - fender, turn signal, maybe headlight (I don't know if it broke or not), hood buckled. I have no idea about any other more hidden damage. But it will be looked into.

Sounds very similar to my woes after a 3 mph "tap" into the back of a Land Cruiser a while back, except for the radiator. I came close to the "total" factor at an estimated $2,800 in damage for which I raided State Farm's coffers. Then I bought a hood for 80 bucks, a headlight for 50, & Huck was kind enough to donate a waterfall grill. With a bit of Bondo work on the fender, & a refill of goo for a bumper scrape, plus a repaint on the affected items, I paid about 900 bucks, plus the parts I scrounged. This yielded me a net gain of well over a grand, plus I got to keep the beast.

May be lost water over the dam in this instance Gary, but just in case you can put the brakes on the deal, do it.

If not, I look forward to a Reading Porsche ride again this year.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.

Last edited by Ron Mummert; 02-12-2008 at 08:29 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:39 PM
Original Owner 1992-2008

Send a message via AIM to MoreIBNR
First, I didn't say I couldn't buy it back.

Second, I am not really sure that $3100 value on a 16 yr old car with 163,000 miles in good condition isn't too far from reality - check what they sell for on Ebay. I have been watching and it isn't too far from this.

Third, since the radiator is broken, it is not drivable and will take towing fees to get it from where it is. If I owned a tow truck, then I would go get it, but I don't.

Right now I don't know what I am going to do about it. But, you have to remember, I have had the car 16 years. The novelty is long gone and the reliability of a 16 year old car is always questionable. The thrill I got from the SVX has been replaced by my Porsche and I could use something a little more "useful" - like a tow vehicle to take the Porsche to and from the track.

More on this later.

2002 Porsche Boxster
2019 Outback Touring
2020 BMW 330xi
1992 SVX (original owner) RIP
1970 Norton Commando
1969 Triumph T100C
Old 02-12-2008, 08:42 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX
You could be like a few people here and put your svx motor in your porche
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 02-12-2008, 08:43 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
not his porsche... Its a nice one prob making more power than the EG33

Tom
Old 02-12-2008, 09:42 PM

I reconsidered............New suggestion

Quote:
First, I didn't say I couldn't buy it back.

Second, I am not really sure that $3100 value on a 16 yr old car with 163,000 miles in good condition isn't too far from reality - check what they sell for on Ebay. I have been watching and it isn't too far from this.

Third, since the radiator is broken, it is not drivable and will take towing fees to get it from where it is. If I owned a tow truck, then I would go get it, but I don't.

Right now I don't know what I am going to do about it. But, you have to remember, I have had the car 16 years. The novelty is long gone and the reliability of a 16 year old car is always questionable. The thrill I got from the SVX has been replaced by my Porsche and I could use something a little more "useful" - like a tow vehicle to take the Porsche to and from the track.

More on this later.
Don't buy it back
Most of us have a special attachment to our cars.
Some of, like me wanted the first one we saw. For me personally, I didn't have $35,000.00 to put into a car.
The SVX is very special to me although it isn't like driving a new SVX. I thank the Lord at least once everyday for that car. Usually more than once. When I turn the key to start, and it starts so easily, I say "Thank You Lord"

I can drive my SVX across America without being afraid of not getting it back home. Again, I pray a lot!

I cannot imagine life without a SVX. I have found it to be the most comfortable car to take a trip across town or across the country. It is the safest car to drive that money can buy, bar none.

You, getting it new have obviously over the years lost your SVX spirit.
Do the kind thing and find it a new home where it will get the love and care that it deserves... Someone like myself and perhaps most of the other people on this form who really love spending every weekend, and most of the rest of their lives just keeping their ancient SVX on the road. It is our life!
Take care,
Keith

P.S. The insurance company is responsible for towing it where you want it towed. You can Join AAA and then have them tow it. You probably should join AAA anyway driving that Porsche!

Last edited by kwren; 02-12-2008 at 10:01 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:44 PM

As a new owner of a 16 year old SVX, Id like to tell you that i couldnt be more excited about this car. Its rarity, design, and sexy doubletake apeal has driven me to learning repairs, diagnostics, and engineering history. Im convinced that this car will respark interest far beyand its availability to be supplied. This leads me to firmly belive that this car will be a wise investment.
I just woke mine from a two year coma, and now im getting all the cosmetic items out of the way to complete it. Then, I will buy another.

I agree with everyone here, buy it back, and at least part it out to us if internal damage is too extensive.

Rick
Old 02-12-2008, 10:45 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX
Quote:
It was towed as the radiator cracked or something. Anyway, there was antifreeze spilling out so I assume the radiator was toast but it could have been a hose. State Farm then had it piacked up from the towing company and had it taken to the lot of Car Tech Auctions in Avenel. The damage was to the passenger side front corner. Didn't look like it was too extensive, but the hood has a slight buckle to it and, of course the turn signal shattered. I don't know what else though State Farm said it needed new bumper cover too.

I would guess that you could contact either Car Tech Auctions (800.868.4700 I think) or State Farm if you wanted to buy it for repair or parts.

And, damn, I just spent all that time and money on the exhaust!!

Tom, if you want, give me a call - 973.590.4361.
You should be able to buy it back and fix it yourself. Buyback is usually 10% of what they pay out, so if they gave you $4,000 it'd be $400.
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 02-13-2008, 06:17 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Gary:

I know what you are saying about the novelty being gone after 16 years. But then again it can't be all gone or you wouldn't be on this board. I think of selling mine every so often but can't draw my self to do it.

I'd suggest two things.

1. Picture your self seeing the car and some one saying "Here it's yours for $(low amount). All you need to do is a little repair work." Would you buy it? You know it's repair history and body shape, so there should be no unknowns.

2. If you decide you want to move on perhaps you can offer it for sale to members here and keep it in the family. It will probably end up in a junk yard if you don't.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:16 AM
Original Owner 1992-2008

Send a message via AIM to MoreIBNR
Any recent buyers out there who would like to assist me getting a fair settlement with my insurer, if you could send me a private message with the amount you paid for your car, its year, mileage, condition, any repairs it needed, location, VIN, and contact info for you (as I am sure that my insurer would want that so I can't scam them by making stuff up), I would greatly appreciate it. As I mentioned before, what they offered (after about a half hour of haggling) doesn't seem too far off the mark, but, hey, what do I know?

Thank you very much.

2002 Porsche Boxster
2019 Outback Touring
2020 BMW 330xi
1992 SVX (original owner) RIP
1970 Norton Commando
1969 Triumph T100C
Old 02-13-2008, 09:40 AM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
They even have a book on the best way to steel! They are a part of a clas action suit in some states now.
Their adjusters get paid to lie and their agants get paid to steal.
My legacy wagon was totaled by one of their drivers (a 16 year old girl type)
It took them 6 months to pay me half what the car was worth.
They even changed the "buy it back" price, saying it was worth more than they thought. I just said that is what I had been telling them for months.
Your car is worth more than 4,000 and in a few years it would be worth a lot more.
My suggestion, Buy it back!

I believe you are refering to Farmers , they are TERIBLE, state farm is suposed to be one of the better companies, still an Insurance company, but not so terible.

As for the damaged car, I'm sure that there is someone on the east coast who would save it if you don't want it, if it heads to the scrap yard it is pretty much doomed Is Tom near by? I thought someone back there had a trailer, if not I could fedex one of my flatbeds
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:40 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
We are interested in the car, that is if you don't want to buy it back for yourself.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:45 AM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike621 View Post
We are interested in the car, that is if you don't want to buy it back for yourself.
Hokey, Tom and Mike
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:48 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
We do have a trailer as well . I don't want to see that car go out to pasture at those auctions... ugh.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:43 AM

Unless you are a State Farm agent....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapaBavarian View Post
I believe you are refering to Farmers , they are TERIBLE, state farm is suposed to be one of the better companies, still an Insurance company, but not so terible.

As for the damaged car, I'm sure that there is someone on the east coast who would save it if you don't want it, if it heads to the scrap yard it is pretty much doomed Is Tom near by? I thought someone back there had a trailer, if not I could fedex one of my flatbeds
....You are always in trouble with State Farm
State Farm recently made the national news with their dishonest practices in the auto industry.. The Government had to take them to court to make them pay the Katrina victims. They tried to say that because the water blew the water, the flooding didn't apply to flood insurance. I could write a book...