Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2007, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
I agree, it is possible to have a budget racer when big companies back the parts and they can be hard with excellent availability at low cost. As soon as you make this venture with the SVX I can promise you the motor alone will cost over 4 grand. Then you have the turbo/turbos where you are looking at at least 2k for the turbo and SOME of the supporting pieces.so you are at at least 6 grand for that. Then you have fab costs, initial cost of the car, building a driveline to handle it... Good luck spending anything less than 20 grand making a low 12 second SVX

Tom
Tom, what I was saying is that in the 3/s world, parts availabilty has been **** until very recently. A bolt on turbo upgrade could not be had for under $2,500...and anything that wasn't bolt on was going to run at least $5,000. Point of the story is, I just managed to squeeze two rather far from bolt-on turbos onto my stealth for under $1,500 for the turbos and all hardware costs, the required fuel mods accounting for the rest of my costs. I don't consider it a race car...it's my daily driver.

I agree that parts availability is even worse for SVXs, and that's a big part of what excites me...I get to make the pieces I will need. I don't intend for it to last very long at all the way I'm going to set it up initially, but I have a tendency to push things until they break and then rebuild them to prevent future breakage.

Let me sum up what I'm trying to say by saying this: I'm no n00b when it comes to cars and I fully realize the immense costs that can be involved with building a reliable performance vehicle. My initial goal involves no degree of reliability whatsoever. I'm starting with a broken SVX and I intend to build it designed to put down as much power as possible with my initial funding and when that breaks I will be **** out of luck until I devise a way to upgrade the broken piece/pieces. Basically, since it could use a driveline rebuild anyway I'm going to take the opportunity to experiment and probably knowingly blow up an engine and/or frag various driveline pieces. Meaning basically that if you are asking me the question "You know you're gonna break **** with that much power, right?" I'm answering "Yes" with an eager smile on my face.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxersix View Post
T3/T40e is a broad range and doesn't include trim levels. Just about most T3 hybrids will be too small for a 3.3L for efficiency though....
I have a T4/T3 hybrid which was build for mustangs. I purchased the turbo from Forcedair technology. They claimed that the turbo should be able to do 15 psi on the SVX motor. When I ran it with my SVX it was difficult to control the boost. Wanted to jump up to 10 psi. I finally got that under control by porting the wastegate. It will be interesting to see how the turbo does with the built motor and an intercooler. I'm sure the GT35R upgrade will be needed in the future for power over the mid 400 HP range (flywheel). I really don't want a car that takes forever to spool or has a small power band though.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZephTheChef View Post
Tom, what I was saying is that in the 3/s world, parts availabilty has been **** until very recently. A bolt on turbo upgrade could not be had for under $2,500...and anything that wasn't bolt on was going to run at least $5,000. Point of the story is, I just managed to squeeze two rather far from bolt-on turbos onto my stealth for under $1,500 for the turbos and all hardware costs, the required fuel mods accounting for the rest of my costs. I don't consider it a race car...it's my daily driver.

I agree that parts availability is even worse for SVXs, and that's a big part of what excites me...I get to make the pieces I will need. I don't intend for it to last very long at all the way I'm going to set it up initially, but I have a tendency to push things until they break and then rebuild them to prevent future breakage.

Let me sum up what I'm trying to say by saying this: I'm no n00b when it comes to cars and I fully realize the immense costs that can be involved with building a reliable performance vehicle. My initial goal involves no degree of reliability whatsoever. I'm starting with a broken SVX and I intend to build it designed to put down as much power as possible with my initial funding and when that breaks I will be **** out of luck until I devise a way to upgrade the broken piece/pieces. Basically, since it could use a driveline rebuild anyway I'm going to take the opportunity to experiment and probably knowingly blow up an engine and/or frag various driveline pieces. Meaning basically that if you are asking me the question "You know you're gonna break **** with that much power, right?" I'm answering "Yes" with an eager smile on my face.

Awesome. Welcome to the club
Old 11-28-2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdigerlando View Post
I don't want to discourage you either, but Tom is correct about the other items in the car that need to be modified. Your Stealth came with a turbo ready motor and trans. The SVX does not. That is where the real cost is. I think it is still a cost effective project, if you get a great deal on an SVX, but it is going to cost some money. I would highly recommend starting with an ECU tune build, engine management (maybe a used Tec II which I can help you with), injectors, fuel pump. If I remember correctly your transmission is already gone. If you want to stay with the automatic, either have it rebuilt by level 10 or go with the ECUtune rebuild which is currently under development. If you want to convert it to a stick, Tom could probably help you with that. I would recommend the 6 speed STi trans.

After that you can fab up any configuration you want. Twins installed in the fenders feeding to a front mounted intercooler would be a great setup.

Just don't want you to go down that road and decide you are in way over your head. It is a major overhaul.
Let me clarify the situation a bit. My Aunt is tired of the car sitting in the driveway, she's making my uncle get rid of it. He has offered to let me have it to do with it as I please. I realize we're talking a higher compression engine, and many other differences...particularly a VERY weak driveline in comparison. I have remedies in mind for some of these problems and for others I will eventually go your prescribed route when it comes to that. My goal is honestly more along the lines of getting it all squeezed in there for now.

Keep in mind, I'm the guy that randomly turbos minivans and cavaliers and other such things when I happen to have a turbo sitting around doing nothing. Don't take me too seriously, and I appreciate the warnings, but I really do know what I'm getting myself into.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:04 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx
Zep,

I just want to say Kudos to you and good luck. I am one of those believers just like you are but at the same time I read (and still am) about what others have been doing up until now.

Personally, 5psi should put this car solidly into the high 13's (with an intercooler). I would love to run 5psi (with intercooler) and a small dose of nitrous. It would be all I need. I will be looking to see how you do with your project. Post lots of info and pics. I won't be going the turbo route since there was already N/A cams put into the car I purchases soo......

Tom,
I am still watching your build (Like others here). Good luck. I can't wait.
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)
Old 11-28-2007, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx View Post
Zep,

I just want to say Kudos to you and good luck. I am one of those believers just like you are but at the same time I read (and still am) about what others have been doing up until now.

Personally, 5psi should put this car solidly into the high 13's (with an intercooler). I would love to run 5psi (with intercooler) and a small dose of nitrous. It would be all I need. I will be looking to see how you do with your project. Post lots of info and pics.
I read about your intake, looks pretty nice.

I was thinking considerably more than 5psi. I most likely will not be running on pump gas (think 140 octane) but we're talking about wanting to run in the neighborhood of 30psi. Rather, that's what the turbos should push on this engine...I'd be more than happy with the 11psi wastegate pressure for starters.

*edit* and no, I don't actually think I can run 30psi on a stock engine, particularly with such a high CR...but that's not really the point...the point is I've got an extra pair of these turbos laying around and while it would be nice to go smaller, I might as well go ahead and use them.

Last edited by ZephTheChef; 11-28-2007 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Added something
Old 11-28-2007, 07:30 PM
Finally HAS a 3rd pedal!!

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZephTheChef View Post
...the point is I've got an extra pair of these turbos laying around ...
You could always just ship 'em to me - I'll gladly take them off your hands!

94 LSi 5spd Barcelona Red, 14Xk miles.

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

(up next) Full cage, fuel cell, 327 swap
Old 11-28-2007, 11:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to redlinedeath Send a message via Yahoo to redlinedeath
comprex/pressure wave charger of a capella??!! where the hell would we fit that thing though? in my opinion, i think that charger is amazing, in the way it works, its responce, and overall engineering. if i had the funds, you can bet your ass id be experimenting on one!!!
Old 11-29-2007, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridered777 View Post
You could always just ship 'em to me - I'll gladly take them off your hands!
You could always ship me about a grand
Old 11-29-2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx View Post
Zep,

Personally, 5psi should put this car solidly into the high 13's (with an intercooler). I would love to run 5psi (with intercooler) and a small dose of nitrous. It would be all I need. I will be looking to see how you do with your project. Post lots of info and pics. I won't be going the turbo route since there was already N/A cams put into the car I purchases soo......

Tom,
I am still watching your build (Like others here). Good luck. I can't wait.
All I ran was 5 psi and no nitrous. No intercooler but water injection. I still broke ring lands.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:49 PM

well i haven't been here in about 6 months, but i still think these motors can handle more then 5lbs. if i had a job or gave a poop about my svx i'd prove it! there are so many cars running 10:1 comp and running 10-12lbs all the time. cars that cam n/a.

chuck good to see you're still posting, when are you going to free up some time for me? go out get some dinner and have a good time. <~~~~not gay
Old 11-29-2007, 04:10 PM

I agree, you guys must be seeing some serious knock or something to do damage at 5 psi...what pump/injectors are you using, are you using a wideband, and what are you using to tune with/datalog?

Then again maybe these engines really are just **** at anything but factory power levels. I know you guys don't want that to be true, so I'm going to stay confident.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:16 PM

not sure on the pump or injectors he's using. but he has tec II stand alone with an innovative wideband. i watched him about a year ago starting to set his car up. but he was have communication problems between his lap top and the tec II. i can't guess on what happened. i would like to play with a car that's setup on a stock motor. but i don't have the means anymore to do it myself.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:33 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
No offense to anyone here, but remember i have ran 4k miles on between 3.5 and 8.5 psi, never running well might i add, without problems. Compression is up on all cylinders. I am movin back down to 5 psi as soon as, well, I have time to do anything. Cannot wait to see you ambitious guys start pounding it out. For now though, I am out of funds!
Old 11-29-2007, 07:10 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdigerlando View Post
I'm sure the GT35R upgrade will be needed in the future for power over the mid 400 HP range (flywheel). I really don't want a car that takes forever to spool or has a small power band though.
Well I can say my 965 that I built with GT3582R spools to 1.1 bar around 3250, but that's with the divided housing turbo header setup I made and a .78ar divided housing.

The 3582R is a nice turbo and great for what most will want. Get a divided housing and make a header setup to match. I'm fabricating an inconel divided header setup for the EG33 going into my 962 and probably using a Gt3582r as well like my 911