SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 07-12-2007, 04:11 PM
Network Design Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohrds
I don't think your fingers are fat

I have just a plain old HTC Hermes (Cingular 8525). It runs Windows Mobile 6, works flawlessly, has great battery life and most importantly, runs activex, .NET, citrix, SSH, and all the other apps I need to work from anywhere. It has a hot swap 2GB MicroSD card and I keep about 10 extra in my wallet in the space of a credit card. Movies, CD quality MP3s (not that over compressed, painful to listen to Itunes format), books on tape, TV shows, etc. It also runs Outlook and connects direct to my Exchange server without having to open up any extra holes in the firewall.

It also has BUTTONS and a SCROLL WHEEL. I can actually use the device with one hand. I've seen people try to use an Iphone's touchscreen interface with one hand. Its quite entertaining.

Take into consideration Bluetooth Stereo, Voice dial bundled into the OS, GPRS data, support for 320K audio, support for VPN, data encryption and a few other things that the Iphone doesn't have that my HTC does and the $350 HTC seems like a much better deal to me than the $600 Iphone.

Doug
Wow... Doug is back!!
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:39 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir
Dougie Fresh!

I believe the Cingular 8525 is an upgraded version of my Verizon xv6700.

-1 iphone.
I beleive it is as well. I think the xv6700 is the sister of the 8125.
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 07-13-2007, 07:42 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVX
Wow... Doug is back!!
Yes I am. This year has been very interresting for me... but I am making an effort to stop lurking and get back in the game
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 07-15-2007, 11:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
I don't think your fingers are fat

I have just a plain old HTC Hermes (Cingular 8525). It runs Windows Mobile 6, works flawlessly, has great battery life and most importantly, runs activex, .NET, citrix, SSH, and all the other apps I need to work from anywhere. It has a hot swap 2GB MicroSD card and I keep about 10 extra in my wallet in the space of a credit card. Movies, CD quality MP3s (not that over compressed, painful to listen to Itunes format), books on tape, TV shows, etc. It also runs Outlook and connects direct to my Exchange server without having to open up any extra holes in the firewall.

It also has BUTTONS and a SCROLL WHEEL. I can actually use the device with one hand. I've seen people try to use an Iphone's touchscreen interface with one hand. Its quite entertaining.

Take into consideration Bluetooth Stereo, Voice dial bundled into the OS, GPRS data, support for 320K audio, support for VPN, data encryption and a few other things that the Iphone doesn't have that my HTC does and the $350 HTC seems like a much better deal to me than the $600 Iphone.

Doug
320k audio? Are you joking? What exactly are you listening with? As in, what kind of headphones? Or stereo? You do realize that the human ear can't detect the difference in bitrates that high, right? Also, the iPhone plays AAC files, and a 192kb AAC file sounds even better than a 256kb MP3 file.

Anyway, yay for you. But just because you are happy with an engineer phone that you have to fight to get working correctly doesn't mean other people are.

PS: http://youtube.com/watch?v=IC8YS-EVOmI

Last edited by Kelvin; 07-15-2007 at 11:31 PM.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:03 AM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin
320k audio? Are you joking? What exactly are you listening with? As in, what kind of headphones? Or stereo? You do realize that the human ear can't detect the difference in bitrates that high, right? Also, the iPhone plays AAC files, and a 192kb AAC file sounds even better than a 256kb MP3 file.

Anyway, yay for you. But just because you are happy with an engineer phone that you have to fight to get working correctly doesn't mean other people are.

PS: http://youtube.com/watch?v=IC8YS-EVOmI
192kb AAC file? You do realize that the donkey ear can detect 320k audio, right?

Anyway, yay for you. But just because you are happy with the pineapple iPhone built for inepts that can't tie their shoes doesn't mean other people are.

http://www.youtube.com/i'm a pineapple neon fanboi?=watch?=me*dance*&like%a*#@donkey

Last edited by Noir; 07-16-2007 at 07:05 AM.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXyGirl Send a message via Yahoo to SVXyGirl
Registered SVX
Quote:
just because you are happy with the pineapple iPhone built for inepts that can't tie their shoes doesn't mean other people are.
I just never learned how to tie my shoes! STOP PICKING ON MEEEEE...

92 Claret SVX LS-L (180k) 09/91 #5,732
06 Suzuki Boulevard M50 7k
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille (70k) Storage/hibernation for now.

Past SVXs:
94 SVX Emerald Pearl FWD (Sold)
96 SVX Bourdeaux LSi (Sold)
92 Pearl SVX LSL "Stay Puft" 5MT (140k) #148 (RIP)
95 Brilliant Red SVX LS (162k) 12/94 #564 "Killer Tomato" (RIP)

Old 07-16-2007, 09:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
192kb AAC file? You do realize that the donkey ear can detect 320k audio, right?

Anyway, yay for you. But just because you are happy with the pineapple iPhone built for inepts that can't tie their shoes doesn't mean other people are.

http://www.youtube.com/i'm a pineapple neon fanboi?=watch?=me*dance*&like%a*#@donkey
http://www.lincomatic.com/mp3/mp3quality.html

Whatever dude. I'm guessing you can't even HEAR above 16.5khz anyway, so it's not going to matter. 320kbps = more accurate 19khz signals, a frequency so high that pretty much only newborns can hear it.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:28 AM
Hater

Quote:
http://www.lincomatic.com/mp3/mp3quality.html

Whatever dude. I'm guessing you can't even HEAR above 16.5khz anyway, so it's not going to matter. 320kbps = more accurate 19khz signals, a frequency so high that pretty much only newborns can hear it.

my donkey ears can hear those silent "mosquito" ringtones, and they are well above 16kHz. even still, mp3's 192k or higher don't sound any different. get below 192, and i can tell that the higher freqs don't sound right. i rip my CD's at 224k anyway, because i have mad storage.

besides, AAC sucks - the rest of the world uses mp3. if you think i'm gonna convert over 80Gigs of mp3 music to another format, you may have been mule-kicked in the head. i guess you would really have to compress that audio as much as possible, given that you're paying $600 for a whopping 8Gb of storage on the iPhone.

so in conclusion, its about $100 worth of phone, and an extra $500 for the blingy screen?

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 07-16-2007, 11:31 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXyGirl
I just never learned how to tie my shoes! STOP PICKING ON MEEEEE...

you can has iShoes. they have velcro straps to make it easy, but they are only compatible with iSocks. only $500.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXyGirl Send a message via Yahoo to SVXyGirl
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
you can has iShoes. they have velcro straps to make it easy, but they are only compatible with iSocks. only $500.
Oh you mean the new tennis shoes apple just released? The iRan.

Linky..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw2nkoGLhrE
92 Claret SVX LS-L (180k) 09/91 #5,732
06 Suzuki Boulevard M50 7k
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille (70k) Storage/hibernation for now.

Past SVXs:
94 SVX Emerald Pearl FWD (Sold)
96 SVX Bourdeaux LSi (Sold)
92 Pearl SVX LSL "Stay Puft" 5MT (140k) #148 (RIP)
95 Brilliant Red SVX LS (162k) 12/94 #564 "Killer Tomato" (RIP)

Old 07-16-2007, 06:21 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

alan and rebecky makes me :chuckle:

Rob, i mean kelvin makes me cry. :cry:
Old 07-16-2007, 06:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXyGirl
Oh you mean the new tennis shoes apple just released? The iRan.

Linky..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw2nkoGLhrE
AhaHAhAHAhHAhaHA. Nice. I saw a bumper sticker the other day with Iraq turning into Iran with a spinning digit like a slot machine. Classic.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
my donkey ears can hear those silent "mosquito" ringtones, and they are well above 16kHz. even still, mp3's 192k or higher don't sound any different. get below 192, and i can tell that the higher freqs don't sound right. i rip my CD's at 224k anyway, because i have mad storage.
I have over a terabyte of storage. I rip at 192 AAC because it's better than 256k mp3, in terms of quality. But my point was Noir and Mohrds were saying that 320k mp3 is the best, but in reality it's actually pointless to encode that high. And again, 192Kb AAC= better than 256Kb mp3.

Quote:
besides, AAC sucks - the rest of the world uses mp3.
Actually the rest of the world is starting to use ogg. MP3 is the most widely used, but it's also the most dated compression format. 192Kb AAC > 256Kb mp3.

Quote:
if you think i'm gonna convert over 80Gigs of mp3 music to another format, you may have been mule-kicked in the head. i guess you would really have to compress that audio as much as possible, given that you're paying $600 for a whopping 8Gb of storage on the iPhone.
I wouldn't convert on format to another... you'd probably lose a lot of quality. I'd go straight from the source. But yeah, 8GB of storage = not a whole lot. I don't think it's meant to compete with the 80GB iPod that can hold your entire music collection in your pocket, but it WILL be more durable. I've gone through 3 iPods, that all died because of dead hard drives. A spinning magnetic disc in a portable device is a pretty horrible idea really. They just won't last in most situations. I'd rather have a 1 gig iPod nano than any hard drive based player ever again.

Quote:
so in conclusion, its about $100 worth of phone, and an extra $500 for the blingy screen?
Whatever man. You apple haters just love to make things out like that. The rest of the world is going to love it, and you'll keep hating it just because it has an apple logo and not a sony ericsson logo. Apple is one of the ONLY manufacturers that pushes the envelope of not WHAT something can do, but HOW it can do it.

PS: My PDA crashed 3 times over the last 1.5 weeks. Go microsoft.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:58 PM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
I have just a plain old HTC Hermes (Cingular 8525). It runs Windows Mobile 6, works flawlessly, has great battery life and most importantly, runs activex, .NET, citrix, SSH, and all the other apps I need to work from anywhere.
My 6700 is running Windows Mobile 5. Is there anyway I can install Windows Mobile 6 on my 6700? I used to have 6600, 6700 is a good improvement to 6600 but now the 6800 is out.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 07-16-2007, 10:35 PM
Hater

Quote:

I wouldn't convert on format to another... you'd probably lose a lot of quality. I'd go straight from the source.
i don't think i'll be re-ripping my CD collection again.

Quote:
I don't think it's meant to compete with the 80GB iPod that can hold your entire music collection in your pocket, but it WILL be more durable. I've gone through 3 iPods, that all died because of dead hard drives. A spinning magnetic disc in a portable device is a pretty horrible idea really. They just won't last in most situations. I'd rather have a 1 gig iPod nano than any hard drive based player ever again.
my iPod is almost 2 years old, sits in hot/cold car all day, gets thrown in duffel bag to get played at work, and then back into duffel bag to hot/cold car again. repeat. it seems to get hosed up every couple months or so and need reset, but that takes about a minute. no problems other than that.

Quote:
Whatever man. You apple haters just love to make things out like that. The rest of the world is going to love it, and you'll keep hating it just because it has an apple logo and not a sony ericsson logo. Apple is one of the ONLY manufacturers that pushes the envelope of not WHAT something can do, but HOW it can do it.
i'd buy it for $50, but that's about it. $600? LOL

Quote:
PS: My PDA crashed 3 times over the last 1.5 weeks. Go microsoft.
why do you need a PDA - i thought you worked in a dentist office.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: