IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2007, 09:22 PM
Awitha Cheese-ahhh!

Send a message via AIM to greggbzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin
Sorry you feel that way. I think it's a huge step toward having only one device in your pocket, which I would love to have. I hate having a phone, camera, and PDA to carry around. It's annoying.
Hi Kelvin,

So, why carry anything around? Do you need all this crap, really? All I have is a simple cell phone, which I carry with me when I have to.

I don't like portable electronics. I'm buried in technology all day at work, keeping up with everything, constantly learning, and I love it usually. But if I'm, you know, outside, I find that carrying around what is basically a computer is a novelty at best and an annoying burden at worst.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:46 PM
Banned

I like takings pictures, a lot. Cell phone cameras would be acceptable if they actually designed something that was a CAMERA with a cell phone functionality, but unfortunately it's usually a phone first, camera second, which usually equates to garbage lense, flash, MP rating, ie, pointless to have as a camera.

As for my PDA, I don't take it most places, but I do like listening to music on it, as well as keeping track of my schedule. Again.... they sell phones that do these things, just not very well.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir

Let's see, my pda phone does the following:

AIM and all chat applications,
Act as a 300kb connection for my laptop to the internet,
Email, contact management, calendar w/reminder,
Plays videos, movies, music easily,
Takes pictures and videos,
The flash is so bright, that if you leave it on, it doubles as a small flashlight
shell client to access unix based boxes,
terminal services, although small on the screen, can help to access TS servers/workstations if needed,
very good reception (which i wonder how the iphone will do in this area),
mapping software and bluetooth gps ready,
wifi if needed and the ability to use as a internet phone,
with proper software on your home pc, will act as a tv receiver,
voice recorder which i've used on many occasions,
office suite, adobe reader, internet browser,
internet radio, wireless remote for tv's and such, and there's probably a few things that i forgot to mention..

oh and i know i can get a services application for it to manage schedules, email invoices, and take credit card transactions...
Boy if it's so good how come nobody wants one? And sorry, most things you mentioned, you need to struggle with in order to get to work. Again, I have a pocketPC. I know what the software is like. It's a pain. It's never really really well designed, it's always a compromise because it's supposed to work on so many devices with different inputs and different buttons, and it always makes me 'struggle' to become more of a nerd in order to get it to do what I want. Technology doesn't have to be that way. I shouldn't have to wrestle with things or struggle to understand how to do something, it should be designed intuitively so even if I don't know how to use something, a good guess on what to do should work.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:47 PM

the future!

good point, technology should be created to serve the masses, but somehow it has created its own generations of humans who learned to adapt to the new advances. Does that mean that we must all bow to the iphone? No, but maybe the world has become more dependent on these new and improved means of life management. I'm not afraid of A.I. taking over, but I'm pretty sure the next evolution of the iphone is a brain implant.

leaving California, last guy without a cell phone, (you can't find me)

94 Barcelona Red FWD, ECUtune stage 1 v 5, Small Car shift kit, Raceconcept rotors, Akebono Pads, Rebuilt transmission by SR Hydramatic, JDM hood emblem, 225 Falkens all around

Other ride:
'64 Dodge Dart 270 - blue and white (Color Me Gone style)
360 ci, 727 trans, posi rear, Preformer RPM airgap, Holley 550, custom headers, Flowmaster exhaust, no brakes!
Old 07-03-2007, 05:28 AM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Boy if it's so good how come nobody wants one? And sorry, most things you mentioned, you need to struggle with in order to get to work. Again, I have a pocketPC. I know what the software is like. It's a pain. It's never really really well designed, it's always a compromise because it's supposed to work on so many devices with different inputs and different buttons, and it always makes me 'struggle' to become more of a nerd in order to get it to do what I want. Technology doesn't have to be that way. I shouldn't have to wrestle with things or struggle to understand how to do something, it should be designed intuitively so even if I don't know how to use something, a good guess on what to do should work.
haha, maybe you don't know how to properly use one. nobody wants one? you mean you don't want one. i know tons of people who use it. let's see, my friends at CNN were issued 6700's, people who do support services for ADP use them, i know subdivision builders that use the same phone but different service provider so just different style, my computer science professors use them, hmm...list seems to go on.

the people who were looking for more functions got what they were looking for. apple obviously spent more money on marketing than most of the other phone makers, maybe that's why more people 'want' one.

i've had zero problems using mine and all of the above mentioned applications. heck, i use mine to write assembly programs during class with absolutely no problems. i've asked a few friends if they plan to get the iphone and they all pretty much said no. their spouses however seemed really stoked about it though.

heck i converted a bunch of movies into 500mb files and i have extra 2gb memory cards to pop movies on. the cellphone case that i got from Lowe's carries my phone, headset w/mic, extra battery w/cover, spare memory cards, and a leatherman nicely.

out of curiosity, the software you had problems with...were they free? cause the software i used other than a few, i paid for. maybe that's where your problem was.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:34 AM
Network Design Administrator

Quote:
oh yeah, i wonder how well the battery will last on that sucker. i know that mine didn't last long until i went with the extended batteries. oh yeah, i forgot to mention that the cradle used for sync'ing and charging had space to charge the phone w/extended battery attached as well as another spare extended. yeah i got 2 extended that works great.
The iPhone battery is integrated, and not end user replaceble...

That alone is HUGE.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVX

That alone is HUGE.
agreed. i think it's all hype.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:19 AM
Hater

Quote:
we all know you're an Apple fanboy, Mr. Rob.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 07-03-2007, 11:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
haha, maybe you don't know how to properly use one. nobody wants one? you mean you don't want one. i know tons of people who use it. let's see, my friends at CNN were issued 6700's, people who do support services for ADP use them, i know subdivision builders that use the same phone but different service provider so just different style, my computer science professors use them, hmm...list seems to go on.
Exactly. So basically 'boffins' use them. :\ I don't like being a boffin.

Quote:
the people who were looking for more functions got what they were looking for. apple obviously spent more money on marketing than most of the other phone makers, maybe that's why more people 'want' one.
But it's more than a phone. Have you ever heard of the iPod? It's one of those also. I suppose you're one of those people who thinks the Zune is much better than the iPod, because it 'has more features', right? The problem with your line of thinking is that features that aren't super polished detract from the phone itself... the iPod succeeded because what it does, it does EXTREMELY well. This new iPhone is the next generation. It plays music really well, videos really well, and does almost everything it does really well. I have a friend who just got one, and he was suprised that he was able to type faster than on his blackberry or other huge PDA/phone (forget which one).

Quote:
i've had zero problems using mine and all of the above mentioned applications. heck, i use mine to write assembly programs during class with absolutely no problems. i've asked a few friends if they plan to get the iphone and they all pretty much said no. their spouses however seemed really stoked about it though.
I quoted the part in bold, because the iPhone is not for you. The iPhone is for normal people, who do not 'code applications'. It is for people who like pictures, videos, and music. It is for the masses.

Quote:
heck i converted a bunch of movies into 500mb files and i have extra 2gb memory cards to pop movies on. the cellphone case that i got from Lowe's carries my phone, headset w/mic, extra battery w/cover, spare memory cards, and a leatherman nicely.
Normal people wouldn't want to have to figure all that stuff out, they'd rather it just work. It's cool that you know how to do it, and I'm CAPABLE of doing it, I've done it before, I just don't LIKE to figure all that stuff out. I'd rather the phone just be able to download all my tunes/videos so I don't have to compress stuff, then transfer it onto an SD card (which takes forever, even with USB2.0)

Quote:
out of curiosity, the software you had problems with...were they free? cause the software i used other than a few, i paid for. maybe that's where your problem was.
I didn't have 'problems', it's not like stuff didn't work... it's just that it was a clunky, 'made for engineers' type experience. It was like using windows 98 applications all over again.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
we all know you're an Apple fanboy, Mr. Rob.
hahaha, ur funnAy..i can see the similarities in their personalities. the same person or a new type that psychologists are dreaming up?

Type-A personality
Type-B personality
Type-horseface personality

Old 07-03-2007, 11:24 AM
Hater

Quote:
hahaha, ur funnAy..i can see the similarities in their personalities. the same person or a new type that psychologists are dreaming up?

Type-A personality
Type-B personality
Type-horseface personality

its Rob v6.3.

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 07-03-2007, 11:28 AM
Network Design Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
its Rob v6.3.
Either way, Apple Fanboi is a VERY accurate description... on both accounts.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVX

That alone is HUGE.
Actually, THAT is the hype. This is just like the people who claimed the iPod didn't have a user replaceable battery. Or that the Mac Mini is impossible to upgrade. Ever assembled a snap-tite model? Then you can replace the battery on an ipod, or get into a mini:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2-qCIBW2-lw

I replaced my battery in under 3 minutes with just one small screwdriver. The people running around screaming "ZOMG ALL TEH IPOD BATTERIES ARE DYING FOREVER!" are the ones spreading the hype.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Exactly. So basically 'boffins' use them. :\ I don't like being a boffin.
I don't know what a boffin is. So what you mean is that the iphone is for people who may be too lazy to figure out how to tie their shoes. Out of curiosity do you wear velcro shoes or flipflops daily?

Quote:
But it's more than a phone. Have you ever heard of the iPod? It's one of those also. I suppose you're one of those people who thinks the Zune is much better than the iPod, because it 'has more features', right? The problem with your line of thinking is that features that aren't super polished detract from the phone itself... the iPod succeeded because what it does, it does EXTREMELY well. This new iPhone is the next generation. It plays music really well, videos really well, and does almost everything it does really well. I have a friend who just got one, and he was suprised that he was able to type faster than on his blackberry or other huge PDA/phone (forget which one).
I hate blackberries and wouldn't get one. I'm not a fan of Zune, however, I do have to admit, the wireless share feature of the Zune 'outshines' the iPod. Considering both plays music and videos utilizing a mass storage device.

The iPod succeeds because it was one of the first devices in it's class on the market AND it was tons of money was spent on it's promotion. I went to the applestore to try out some of their products and I clearly was not impressed, else I would have become a fanboi like yourself.

Quote:
I quoted the part in bold, because the iPhone is not for you. The iPhone is for normal people, who do not 'code applications'. It is for people who like pictures, videos, and music. It is for the masses.
Unless I'm mistaken you were mentioning that you'd like to get a device to replace all the ones you carry around. Wouldn't that mean that you are looking for a device that can perform 'any function' that you'd like to throw at it?

I use my phone/pda for that because it was available. Why pull out my laptop if I could do the same thing with my pda/phone? There's tons of phones out there now that play pictures, videos, and music if that's all your looking for.

Quote:
Normal people wouldn't want to have to figure all that stuff out, they'd rather it just work. It's cool that you know how to do it, and I'm CAPABLE of doing it, I've done it before, I just don't LIKE to figure all that stuff out. I'd rather the phone just be able to download all my tunes/videos so I don't have to compress stuff, then transfer it onto an SD card (which takes forever, even with USB2.0)
I'm surprised you're able to get on the internet since you're normal and pretty much hate learning. It's all the same, you use some application to pick what you want the phone to have whereas I drag and drop. You're capability astounds me. USB2.0 takes forever...using a sync application sure. Using a card reader it takes seconds.

Quote:
I didn't have 'problems', it's not like stuff didn't work... it's just that it was a clunky, 'made for engineers' type experience. It was like using windows 98 applications all over again.
Well apparently you did have problems or you wouldn't be complaining about it.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Actually, THAT is the hype. This is just like the people who claimed the iPod didn't have a user replaceable battery. Or that the Mac Mini is impossible to upgrade. Ever assembled a snap-tite model? Then you can replace the battery on an ipod, or get into a mini:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2-qCIBW2-lw

I replaced my battery in under 3 minutes with just one small screwdriver. The people running around screaming "ZOMG ALL TEH IPOD BATTERIES ARE DYING FOREVER!" are the ones spreading the hype.
didn't apple state with the first generation ipods that user battery replacement is not recommended and would void the warranty. you had to send it to a apple certified repair shop, or buy a new one?

the result was consumers/customers screaming and complaining? i'd rather have customers spreading hype than the bullcrap that apple spreads.