Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-13-2007, 07:16 PM

That's perfect. At least now I know what I'm looking at.

BTW, no offense to Trevor. You obviously have a lot more seniority than me, but you seem to be the only one on this thread that isn't staying on topic. If you don't have anything relevant to add, please refrain from commenting
Old 05-13-2007, 07:17 PM

so does anyone know if the EGR system can be disabled without affecting the ECU function?
Old 05-13-2007, 07:28 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I believe the only thing you'll be able to "disable" without throwing ECU codes is the IRIS valve-related pieces. If you decide to go this route, you'll want to remove the big black "box" and everthing connected to it, pull the IRIS valve out of the intake, and install a blanking plate across the opening.

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 05-13-2007, 07:42 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcpaz
BTW, no offense to Trevor. You obviously have a lot more seniority than me, but you seem to be the only one on this thread that isn't staying on topic. If you don't have anything relevant to add, please refrain from commenting
I am staying absolutely on topic as is defined by the heading, i.e. crap. Any comment in that regard outside of the thread would be irrelevant.

I am able to describe the application/operation of all components beneath the manifold. Any crap found there is obviously superfluous.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-14-2007, 06:47 AM

Registered SVX
Hiya,

If your removing the engine from an SVX to put in as I gather a 911 type build why dont you just keep the basic engine and use something like a Motec ecu?, you will not have to worry about codes and it can be mapped exactly to your needs.

Darren.

11/94 SVX Alcyone, Mica Black, VL Spec 4WS, 71K Miles, 1 owner from new & was part of a private car collection in Japan.

Nissan R34 Skyline Stagea

91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo

1966 MGB Roadster, Tarten Red, Wire Wheels, Leather, 23K miles from new

You can tell the men from the boys from the speed of their toys.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:54 PM

Just came across this thread. I'm putting an EG33 in a Porsche 914, so I understand your bewilderment and desire to keep things simple ! I'm still a newbie here (despite having my engine for over a year) but maybe I can shed some light on a few things.

First things, first. There's a nice short article in wikipedia about Thomas Crapper and the word "crap". There is a widely held (erroneous) belief that Crapper invented the flush toilet and that the word crap somehow derived from his name. The wikipedia article straightens this out, but nonetheless the misunderstanding seems to influence attitudes towards the word in the US. As someone pointed out, the word "crap" here is way, way less offensive than the "S" word, and is commonly used on TV and in front of children. Maybe not by all, but it is considered mildy offensive at worst. Aparently this is not true in other parts of the English speaking world. So we've all learned something !

Anyway, under the intake. Thanks for the photos ! I'm just putting my engine back together and they helped me figure a few things out !

As for your dilemma about getting rid of things, the two extreme options are a) keep everything exactly stock or b) go to an aftermarket ECU. Most of the people I know who put Subie engines in 914's tend towards option a). There's sort of an art of reading through the factory service manual for your particular year, and figuring out how to "fake out" the ECU for sensors that don't exist : multiple O2 sensors, neutral switch, vehicle speed sensor, etc. I only know of people who have done this with an EG25, however.

Then, there's the aftermarket approach. I'm gonna use a hacked up variation of MegaSquirt (msefi.com) but a commercial unit would definitely be less painful.

One great resource, if you don't already know about them, is Outback Motors. They specialize in sand rails, mainly with EG25 engines, but have some stuff for the EG33. I bought a set of exhaust headers for my EG33 from them and they fit great. I just did that one order, but others who have dealt with them more said they are very helpful. I'm sure someone there could give you advice on how to get things hooked up.

Last edited by jsteele22; 07-13-2007 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:03 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcpaz
so does anyone know if the EGR system can be disabled without affecting the ECU function?
Yes, at least on the OBD1s.
When I fabricated my first set of headers, four years ago
I did not tap in a line to the header tube, and have gone all this tine without a EGR related CEL.
The OBD2s would need to stay connected, I believe.
As they have the temp sensor.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link