Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2006, 04:52 PM

Transmission

this is my first car with auto and have a few Q's

It appears that the SVX has a different config for AT in each country. With the gbox being 'electronic' what does this relate to? - does it learn continusly or are the gear changes just done by electric solinoids?

With the 'power' mode does this change the shift points or does it alter the ecu and remap the engine. (my power light come on with ignition, but does not seam to work when driving)

why was ours fitted with no econ mode and power switch - the oposite to JDM.

In the owners manual, what is the reason why the vehicle specs indicate that the Aus model and different hight (10mm higher than others) and camber specs to all other models - just curious

thanks
bruce
Old 08-11-2006, 05:34 PM
it's ruby red - not burgundy!!

Registered SVX
As far as I am aware, the transmission does not have a "learning" facility. The ECU does, though.

The "POWER" mode alters both the shift points, and the speed of each shift. It does not alter the behaviour of the engine.

The only electronic connection between the engine and transmission is the "Engine Torque Control Signal", which allows the transmission to briefly cut engine power during shifts.

If you are coasting at around 60km/h, and quickly apply the throttle, the "POWER" light should come on, and the transmission should kick down back to 2nd. Once you ease off the throttle, the light should go out.
Note that the "POWER" light is triggered depending on both the amount of throttle travel, but more importantly, how quickly the throttle is depressed.

The light is triggered by the Throttle Position Sensor - it may need to be cleaned or adjusted if the light cannot be triggered while driving.

I also noticed that the suspension height and geometry is unique to the AU model - I have no idea why!

Jason.

1992 Ruby Red SVX - 165,000km

....now with sequential VIN numbers!

1986 Holden (Isuzu) Piazza Turbo - 225,000km

1993 Mercedes W140 S500 Coupe - 153,000km

1990 Mercedes W124 300D - 313,000km

EG33 + 4EAT + VTD AWD = SVX

Last edited by JDW-SVX; 08-11-2006 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:12 AM

The height is higher because Aus has some of the highest road camber of anywhere else. Most of Europe uses the std grade on the road of 1 in 50' or approx 20mm per m. Most older roads in aus are much steeper that this.

Kenn