Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2006, 04:17 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
As long as the tires are all turning the same speed how in hades would it have any effect on the transfer clutch? (the term 'center diff' does not apply here, to the SVX, at all)

Even if you were to lock the rear wheels, it's doubtful much would occur unless you also had your foot on the gas. Besides, when the TCU sees the brake lamp signal it disengages the transfer clutch in order to allow the four-channel ABS work properly. I'm not sure about the SVX but I do know some cars also register the parking brake lamp as well for the same reason.

It is a 'parking brake', not an 'emergency brake'. The term 'emergency brake' is a carryover from days long gone. Split hydraulics, which became required in '68, put a end to all but the most ignorant people (those that refuse to repair their car) needing an emergency brake. Besides, a Honda 90 motorcycle has about the same size brakes as the SVX's parking brakes and it weighs oh, probably 3400lbs. less. How much of an emergency do you think the brakes will be able to handle?

Now for the obvious question: why would you want to do this unless you were screwing around? You know what happens when you screw around - it's gonna cost ya, one way or another. There's no getting around that.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb
Older Subys didn't have this arrangement. On the '86 GL the parking brake set the front wheels. I recall one mechanic who didn't believe this until demonstrated. Don't know when they changed over to the separate drum, but that's what my '90 Legacys had.

And what y'all are calling an "emergency" brake should actually be considered a PARKING brake. If you feel it needs testing, stop the car on a moderate incline, set the brake, put the car into neutral and see if it'll hold.

Deliberately pulling the brake while driving is just asking for trouble.

dcb
ummm im a mechainc and i don't believe that... my 85 brat gl's parking break went to the rear... and the suby parking/e break design is for all their cars that have 4 disc set ups..... the fact is depending what you use it for it is both a parking and e break because it can be used incase of sudden total hydralic system failure (sp?) or parking on a hill
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 07-05-2006, 04:36 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suby Fan
my 85 brat gl's parking break went to the rear... and the suby parking/e break design is for all their cars that have 4 disc set ups....
Then someone modified the brakes on it. All Subaru's through the 80's had front parking brakes. DL's, GL's, Wagon's Hatch's, Brat's, EA81's, EA82's, XT's, RX's, XT6's, Loyale's.
The Impreza, Legacy and SVX platforms are the only Subaru's that are made with rear parking brakes.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
or at least i thought it did... i didnt have the car for very long sold it when i noticed the rear diff's support was dangaling.....
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 07-05-2006, 04:53 PM
Not as old as Randy

How about we just say all Subies that had rear DRUM brakes had front parking brakes?
Old 07-05-2006, 05:03 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest
Then someone modified the brakes on it. All Subaru's through the 80's had front parking brakes. DL's, GL's, Wagon's Hatch's, Brat's, EA81's, EA82's, XT's, RX's, XT6's, Loyale's.
The Impreza, Legacy and SVX platforms are the only Subaru's that are made with rear parking brakes.
*cough*...Justy
Old 07-05-2006, 05:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVX PlayBoy
OK, I happen to pull my e-brake at least 3-6 times a month. I do that b/c me and my friends like to slide around at the parking lot behing Best Buy. Granted, I'm usally not going over 30mph, and I DO NOT press the gas while doing this. I have my foot over the brake pedal just in case something happens. I really doubt that pulling your parking brake while going at a slower speed (10-35mph), and NOT pressing the gas would do harm to your diff or any clutches. I have not had any negative results so far, but if something does come up, you'll hear about it.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:55 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav
How about we just say all Subies that had rear DRUM brakes had front parking brakes?
Sure Except for the Turbo Wagon's, RX's, XT's and XT6's (and my Brat ) that have rear disks, but still have the P-Brake up front.... and then there were the Impreza's that had rear drums and had the P-Brake in the rear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
*cough*...Justy
hehehe I was just cooking up dinner and said to myself that I better go back and revise my list before David posts that I forgot about the Justy
Old 07-05-2006, 05:57 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Not possible?

If the transfer clutch is in good order, you won't be able to lock the rear wheels with the handbrake.

When you apply the hand brake the rear wheels will start to slow down. The TCU will see this as front wheel spin, and will apply more pressure to the clutch, to bring the rear wheels up to the front speed. So it's the transfer clutch verses the hand brake.

I'll put my money on the multi plate, hydraulically applied transfer clutch working through a 3.5 to 1 reduction, overcoming the drum hand brake.

If it is an Euro model, it is just not possable.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:06 PM
Not as old as Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest
Sure Except for the Turbo Wagon's, RX's, XT's and XT6's (and my Brat ) that have rear disks, but still have the P-Brake up front.... and then there were the Impreza's that had rear drums and had the P-Brake in the rear
I was looking for a quick and dirty. I knew about the rear disc cars still having front pkg brakes. Imprezzas came after my time - in a Subaru market. Geeez... I just realized that unless you count WRXs (and there aren't many of them either) there aren't but maybe 3 Imps in Louisville.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:08 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I doubt anyone will be able to lock up the rear wheels on pavement with the e-brake.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:45 PM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby
I doubt anyone will be able to lock up the rear wheels on pavement with the e-brake.
The e-brake on my both svxi do not work very good...i will not trust my e-brake with tranny at "N" on the steep hill!!! I think maybe is because SVX is too heavy...I ain't sure if I adjust the cable would it work any better...but I feel e-brake with rear drum brakes work very well with pull-and-slide the cars...

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 07-05-2006, 08:46 PM

If you're pining for some sideways action, make your svx RWD, or learn to properly 4wheel drift. i drift, and i can say from experience that the parking brake isn't even a good way to drift, because you have one hand off the wheel, and that isn't good for control.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:56 PM
One teal and One yellow

Is there any difference to drift a RWD or an AWD?? have you drifted your svx yet? Man I wish I have a RWD to drift... I read somewhere you could drift a FWD in a different way..(not e-brake!!)

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 07-05-2006, 10:54 PM

fwd drifting is tricky...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSVX
Is there any difference to drift a RWD or an AWD?? have you drifted your svx yet? Man I wish I have a RWD to drift... I read somewhere you could drift a FWD in a different way..(not e-brake!!)
i went on a time/distance rally with a gentleman up in northern minnesota... i was his navigator... it was a lot of fun, even though he was just driving a stock 8v golf with hakka's....he was a great driver... we were basically on mountain(like) roads, and he showed me fwd drifting... he basically downshifted and popped the clutch which shifted all of the weight forward very quickly... (around a hairpin, downhill turn) and swung the back end around the whole turn perfectly... that was an experience...
'88 Acura Legend (wheel fell off)
'90 Audi 80 quattro (50mph into side of truck)
'95 Saab 9000cse turbo (sold)