SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-19-2006, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Aftermarket horn wiring

I am considering replacing my stock horns with the Stebel TM Magnum 80 electromagnetic horns. They are rated at 139db. The website is here with an available sound clip:

http://www.stebel.it/stebel/index.htm
(Click the products link, then the electromagnetic link, then the TM80 Magnum link)

Anyway here is my question: Since our stock system already has a horn relay in the circuit, can I just use the existing wiring to connect to the + terminal of the horns and run wires to ground from the - terminal on the horns? Or do I need an additional relay?

The horns are rated at less than 12A. The horn and brake circuit in the SVX is fused at 20A. Should I add an additional inline fuse?

According to the FSM, our horn switch provides the ground when depressed. Any help is appreciated.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 06-19-2006 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
did i read that right? 24 volts?
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 06-19-2006, 05:25 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I read 12A@24V. Wouldn't that mean 6A@12V for the pair?

139db is at only 4" from the horn
Old 06-19-2006, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
139db is at only 4" from the horn
True, but they also measure 115db at 2 meters (over 6 ft.) from the source.

I had a tech at my favorite stereo shop measure the sound pressure of the stock SVX horn at 6" from the horn, using a db meter. It measured 97db.

That being said, remember that the decibel scale is logarithmic and therefore the sound pressure doubles for every increase of 3 points, i.e. a horn with 115 dB is approximately six times as loud as a stock 97db SVX horn.

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Old 06-19-2006, 06:04 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I understand how db works. I just find it silly to measure it at 4". Most db readings I see are at 1 meter from the source.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

But a sharp guy like you should be able to answer my original questions.

And if the stock SVX horns measure 97db at 6" (with the hood open), what is the sound measurement at 1 meter with the hood closed?

In any case, these have got to be louder than what I have. They measure 3.3" x 3.5" x 3.5" each.

And they can be gotten for only $18.95/pr., plus shipping, from HornsPlus

http://www.hornsplusauto.com./

Old 06-19-2006, 11:36 PM

Registered SVX
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess
I am considering replacing my stock horns with the Stebel TM Magnum 80 electromagnetic horns. They are rated at 139db. The website is here with an available sound clip:

http://www.stebel.it/stebel/index.htm
(Click the products link, then the electromagnetic link, then the TM80 Magnum link)

Anyway here is my question: Since our stock system already has a horn relay in the circuit, can I just use the existing wiring to connect to the + terminal of the horns and run wires to ground from the - terminal on the horns? Or do I need an additional relay?

The horns are rated at less than 12A. The horn and brake circuit in the SVX is fused at 20A. Should I add an additional inline fuse?

According to the FSM, our horn switch provides the ground when depressed. Any help is appreciated.

As no one else has been of assistance. --- Yes you can simply substitute the horns for the OEM items. Connect the same terminal on each to the original positive and ground the other. Horns with separate terminals insulated from ground are not polarity sensitive and can be connected either way, but if they are marked use the appropriate terminals.

The horns as a pair are rated, 12 amps at 12 volts and 6 amps at 24 volts, not an excessive current drain and in line with OEM.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 06-19-2006 at 11:39 PM.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:20 AM
Hater

Quote:
And they can be gotten for only $18.95/pr., plus shipping, from HornsPlus

http://www.hornsplusauto.com./

you can get the same crap at you local PepBoys/Advance Auto/etc. for the same price without paying shipping.

just get some Hella Supertones for a few bucks more, and make them drop the damn cell phone when you honk.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 06-20-2006, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
...just get some Hella Supertones for a few bucks more, and make them drop the damn cell phone when you honk.
I already have a brand-new pair of the 85115 Hella Supertones. After having them for more than a year, I still have yet to find any location where they will fit easily. They are 5" in diameter each and 2.5" thick.

Any suggestions?

Old 06-20-2006, 08:17 AM
Hater

Quote:
I already have a brand-new pair of the 85115 Hella Supertones. After having them for more than a year, I still have yet to find any location where they will fit easily. They are 5" in diameter each and 2.5" thick.

Any suggestions?

remove the grille and mount behind there? i can't remember how much room is back there .....

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 06-20-2006, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

If you replace either the stock waterfall or the 97 grille with aluminum mesh, you can do this. With the stock grilles in place there is NO room.

Old 06-20-2006, 11:37 AM
Meow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
The horns as a pair are rated, 12 amps at 12 volts and 6 amps at 24 volts, not an excessive current drain and in line with OEM.
The tech info page is confusing. If you double the voltage you double the current at the same resistance. You're looking at 6A max for the pair @ 12V. (7.2A @ 14.4V)
Old 06-20-2006, 05:54 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
The tech info page is confusing. If you double the voltage you double the current at the same resistance. You're looking at 6A max for the pair @ 12V. (7.2A @ 14.4V)
\

Yes I agree that the specification is rather confusing but again examine the way things are set out.

The horns sold for 24 volt operation will most definitely have a winding of twice the resistance. The power required i.e. watts will be the same for 12 V and 24 V. When the voltage is doubled the current is halved to provide the same power requirement (watts).

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 06-20-2006 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:03 PM
Meow!

Yes for power to remain the same if you double the voltage you must half the current.

I was running the assumption the same model was used for both 12V and 24V operation.

1 more thing I will point out though, if you double the voltage and half the current you must quadrouple (not double) the resistance.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:33 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Yes for power to remain the same if you double the voltage you must half the current.

I was running the assumption the same model was used for both 12V and 24V operation.

1 more thing I will point out though, if you double the voltage and half the current you must quadrouple (not double) the resistance.
I agree and the specs have caused us double the trouble.