Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under

Old 05-18-2006, 06:13 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircontech
Hi harvey
Mate I could be wrong but I think the Compressor has a Thermal fuse not a Slip Sensor on it..we tried bypassing it but did not do anything, this also had the Electrician stumped. .... Slip sensor is a device that matches compressor speed with engine speed. It's located on the back of compressor. The slip sensor does use that wobble plate to get its signal.

But having said that slip sensor do go off in a couple of minutes where as a Thermal fuse can take up to 30 minutes.

Looking at wiring diagram 6-3 from you, they call it a solenoid actuator??
I can't find a Thermal fuse or a Slip Sensor, anywhere. The Solenoid Actuator is the unit that moves the wobble plate, to control the volume of the output. It is controlled by a Duty Cycle signal from the Air con computer, to change the stroke of the Compressor pistons.
This is what the book says about it.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/oab_au/35209.jpg
I'll keep looking and get back to you.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:30 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW-SVX
I am assuming that you are referring to the magnetic clutch which mechanically links the A/C compressor to the drive pulley.

According to my service manual, if the outside temperature sensor detects temperatures lower than 10 degrees centigrade, the anti-freeze protection mechanism will cycle the compressor on and off.

You should check your outside temperature sensor - does the temperature display correctly when the "OUT. TEMP" button is pressed?

Jason.
The above is exactly correct. Has this been checked ??

The Ambient Sensor is on the bonnet lock support, at the front of the radiator.

If it is open circuit or the wiring is disconnected or high resistance, the auto amplifier will be signalled that the temperature is below 10* C and the clutch will cycle continuously by way of protection against freezing. At an ambient of 25 Deg. C it should measure 3,000 ohms and at 30, 2,400.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-18-2006, 11:03 PM

Registered SVX
It's definitely not 10 degrees in Brisbane at the moment!!! Even in the mornings.

Old 05-18-2006, 11:35 PM
aircontech

Thanks Trevor and Harvey, will take those into consideration. It's Friday afternoon now so wont check back here till Monday morning anymore info is highly appreciated.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:35 PM
pinkjeans

Send a message via ICQ to JoAnn merkur
Smile JUST A FEMALE lol

Hey watch it , I'm not blonde
"CAR JARGON"
ask me where to go buy jewellery . That one is easy.lol.

Thanks guys for all your imput, I am most impressed.
So while you are all trying to fix my aircon I will hand the car over to the mechanic to get a new "power steering high pressure hose"
see I know what I need haha..

TKU JoAnn
Old 05-21-2006, 09:13 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
More Info.

Sorry JoAnn, not a chauvinist, have trained a number of female auto mechanics.

Back to the problem. There appears to be a condition where the compressor is turned on/off when a freezing condition can happen. You probably know about this, but the book says that when very cold conditions are present the compressor is turned on/off. This appears to involve the Compressor Actuator Solenoid control, Evaporator sensor, Ambient sensor, and the Refrigerant sensor.

This may be a chance. I've put the scans of checking these sensors in my locker, and can be seen here.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?oab_au|35851

A failure in any of these units, should have shown up in the code check. The "Step 2." that checks all the operative components is used to check the current flow to the Actuator Solenoid. This is run by a duty cycle, so it can't be checked by a voltage check, the current has to be measured.

Hope this gets us closer,

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:47 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
Sorry JoAnn, not a chauvinist, have trained a number of female auto mechanics.

Back to the problem. There appears to be a condition where the compressor is turned on/off when a freezing condition can happen. You probably know about this, but the book says that when very cold conditions are present the compressor is turned on/off. This appears to involve the Compressor Actuator Solenoid control, Evaporator sensor, Ambient sensor, and the Refrigerant sensor.

This may be a chance. I've put the scans of checking these sensors in my locker, and can be seen here.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?oab_au|35851

A failure in any of these units, should have shown up in the code check. The "Step 2." that checks all the operative components is used to check the current flow to the Actuator Solenoid. This is run by a duty cycle, so it can't be checked by a voltage check, the current has to be measured.

Hope this gets us closer,

Harvey.
Impressive - but as previously posted, do this first, (it is a vulnerable component in the event of a radiator replacement, prang, or whatever) :-

The Ambient Sensor is on the bonnet lock support, at the front of the radiator.

If it is open circuit or the wiring is disconnected or high resistance, the auto amplifier will be signalled that the temperature is below 10* C and the clutch will cycle continuously by way of protection against freezing. At an ambient of 25 Deg. C it should measure 3,000 ohms and at 30, 2,400.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: