How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-29-2006, 02:54 PM
Its a Classic!

Getting engine ready for 100 shot

My engine currently has 194k miles on it. It had a sticky lifter that was resolved with MMO and it has an oil leak that needs to be fixed. Id like to install a 100 shot this summer. With an engine with these kind of miles what would you gurus recommend be done to the engine to make it safe to run nitrous and stay running for many more miles?
Should I replace the headgasket?
replace piston rings and hone the bores?
STi BBS wheels,legacy gt 4.44, 3" catback exhaust, Stance GR+ 7k/5k, QS Teflon adjustable endlinks, Hankook EVO 245/40/17, 95-LS escaine seats, GC8 V7 steering wheel, JDM clear corners, small car clear lenses, Alcyone badge, JDM rear taillight, 97 grille, stevesby bumper, PWR radiator, Perrin Crank pulley, Urethane Swaybar bushings, urethane diff bushings, DDM 6k 55watt lows and 4500k 35watt fog lights; $15/15min mod, Motorsport whs 22mm rear swaybar, QC shift kit, ToMyx intake, z32 aluminum calipers 13" rotors, nitrous express proton + wet kit.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:58 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
don't use a 100 shot... 75dry has been the safetly limit for most without reducing timing. If you are going wet... 100 shot should be ok but make sure the engine is in good running condition

Tom
Old 03-29-2006, 04:22 PM
Its a Classic!

I was planning on a wet shot. I know these engines have been known to go 250k+ but what areas should I look to replace just to make sure it lasts for many more miles. What usually goes on these engines first?
STi BBS wheels,legacy gt 4.44, 3" catback exhaust, Stance GR+ 7k/5k, QS Teflon adjustable endlinks, Hankook EVO 245/40/17, 95-LS escaine seats, GC8 V7 steering wheel, JDM clear corners, small car clear lenses, Alcyone badge, JDM rear taillight, 97 grille, stevesby bumper, PWR radiator, Perrin Crank pulley, Urethane Swaybar bushings, urethane diff bushings, DDM 6k 55watt lows and 4500k 35watt fog lights; $15/15min mod, Motorsport whs 22mm rear swaybar, QC shift kit, ToMyx intake, z32 aluminum calipers 13" rotors, nitrous express proton + wet kit.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:49 PM
Maniac modifier

If you want your motor to last longer, do not put nitrous in it

Tom
Old 03-29-2006, 05:13 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Unless you plan on replacing your tranny with the police special platinum edition, I wouldn't go there.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Its a Classic!

i was kinda hoping to offset the decrease in life from nitrous by replacing the parts that see the most wear from age. But im not sure if i should reconsider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman050
What usually goes on these engines first?
What usually goes on these engines first? The transmission!

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.

Old 03-29-2006, 06:37 PM
Its a Classic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophil
What usually goes on these engines first? The transmission!
If im not mistaken its more of a reason of heat rather than power. With a shift kit and tranny cooler ive heard that they can hold power quite well.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:05 PM

Quote:
If im not mistaken its more of a reason of heat rather than power. With a shift kit and tranny cooler ive heard that they can hold power quite well.
No, that's right. It is heat. But if you throw 450 lb/ft of torque through that TC... well.. You know. It just won't be pretty after a few times.

Throw a 5mt in there first.

Old 03-29-2006, 09:07 PM
Its a Classic!

financially and time wise a 5spd isnt really an option. And with a 100 shot an svx shouldnt put out much more that 350tq. And due to drivetrain shock and the fact that modded wrx have alot of transmission trouble id think that a 5spd would wear just as fast with nitrous.

I also know SVX files has a 4eat SCed car so i would think that vouches for the strength
Old 03-29-2006, 10:18 PM

Quote:
I also know SVX files has a 4eat SCed car so i would think that vouches for the strength
It's not a stock transmission, it's a 4.44 out of a newer outback
Old 03-30-2006, 03:17 AM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvPPoW
It's not a stock transmission, it's a 4.44 out of a newer outback

Which is actually weaker than the SVX 4eat... Listen, the trans is the least of your worries. The stock trans will hold it no problem but it's the motor you need to worry about. Nitrous in good working order is just more horsepower when you want it. The thing is, it will hasten the demise of your engine due to simple breakdown of parts. Extra Tq will cause extra stress on things like rod bearings which will wear out much quicker if the hp is increased be it nitrous or FI. It's simple, if you need your car as a daily driver and want to keep the engine ticking as long as possible, do not use nitrous

Tom
Old 03-30-2006, 10:30 AM
Registered Abuser

Quote:
My engine currently has 194k miles on it. It had a sticky lifter that was resolved with MMO and it has an oil leak that needs to be fixed. Id like to install a 100 shot this summer. With an engine with these kind of miles what would you gurus recommend be done to the engine to make it safe to run nitrous and stay running for many more miles?
Should I replace the headgasket?
replace piston rings and hone the bores?
If the engine has 194K, then the chance of running it on nitrous and keeping it running for many more miles is not terribly good? I say ride her till she f*cks you, or don't ride her at all. Motor swaps are easy. Don't waste money by putting it into a motor that you plan to beat on anyway. Start saving for a better, lower mile motor. You can get a good used motor for about the cost of new nitrous system. I ran a 75 to 125 dry shot for about 18 months. I settled on a 105 shot and used it sparingly. I only used about 10-12 bottles during that time and never saw any ill-effects. Of course, the next time could have been the last time. Start with 75 and don't gas off the line. Using it on the freeway is a blast. Its fun to be side by side with someone at about 65 and then just punch it and leave them like they were standing still. Make sure you choose your spots though, because the car will need a bit more time/distance to slow down. Try not to endanger other drivers. A brake upgrade would be a good idea. Also, an exhaust upgrade can yield huge results when you're squeezing. Good luck.

Stephen
Old 03-30-2006, 01:52 PM
Its a Classic!

I may just save my money and buy a used motor if the current one blows. I know the blocks on these motors must be split to reach the main bearings, does this require a special tool?

I was considering doing a fresh rebuild of all seals, head gaskets, rod and main bearings, piston rings, and maybe having the rods shotpeened.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:54 PM
Maniac modifier

not to be a dick... but do you know what that will take to do?? Do you know how much parts alone will cost?? Might make u reconsider

Tom