Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-09-2006, 12:40 AM
THAWA

Using non-SVX rear knuckles isn't an option. Converting to a worse-than-stock endlink setup isn't in the future.

How hard is it to grind cast iron a few mm's?
Old 05-09-2006, 02:05 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickynicky
So it is 4:00 in the morning and instead of sleeping or doing work which I should have done a week ago, a thought came to me while browsing the classifieds on NASIOC. Do the shocks and struts for an 04 STi (or any year STi for that matter) bolt on to the SVX? Since ANYTHING can be done for a price, I would imagine that that it would not be a problem for someone willing to spend 1,000's in moding and fabricating. However, my question is more will these parts work as a direct (i.e. NO moding) bolt on? (The parts I am referring to are pictured below)

I realize that there is probably 50 million things or so that I am not considering such as strut length affecting ride height and what not, but like I said it's 4:00 in the morning so I am choosing to ignore those for now. The reason I ask anyways is that after some fun and possibly slightly abusive SVXing this weekend, the massive amounts of body roll started to get annoying. I really don't get how this thing pulled 0.92 on the skidpad with the amount of body roll it has. Anyways, that got me thinking about suspension upgrades, and while the Koni GC setup is probably a better way to go, this just seemed more exciting. Alright, you may now begin showering me with responses ...

- Case

P.S. I already tried the "Search" button and didn't really get any clear consensus. This may just be the only topic that has not been discussed to death on this forum .
But why on earth on the basis of engineering or common sense, would you try to this take this route. There is no semblance of compatability between the two vehicles. Surely you should treat the SVX as an individual exercise as others have done and start from scratch, or follow their lead.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-09-2006, 09:49 AM
THAWA

Why? Cost. Why reinvent something if you don't have to? You can get a full set of STi take-offs for anywhere from $100-$300. You can't even buy koni inserts for that price, and you pretty much have to go new with koni's. Yes you can find a used koni setup, but firstly, it's not going to be nearly as cheap, and secondly they're few and far between. STi suspension comes off all the time, the abundance is there. If you end up damaging the struts or springs, it's quick, cheap, and easy to find a replacement.

As far as the two cars not being compatibler, what exactly is the difference? About 150 pounds or so, big deal. The spring rates are similar enough if you scale them accordingly.

Besides, there's a huge aftermarket for Impreza stuff. If that stuff can be made to fit, then our aftermarket suspension just increased a lot.

It seems like common sense to me that if a replacement part is available that will work okay, then there's no point in trying to design something from scratch. You're more than welcome to though.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:51 PM

Registered SVX
Not being in, or aware of your market, I did not appreciate the magnitude of the possible savings in cost and this point of view.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-09-2006, 06:06 PM
THAWA

You can compare it to your own market. Find the price for used STi suspension on rexnet or something, and compare it to the price for Koni/GC or any of the hit and miss JDM coilovers.

Here Konis are like $600 or something, and GC springs are like $250 or so. Plus you still have to do a lot of work to get it to mount up. Compare that to an average $200-300 for take offs, and some work to get the rears to bolt up. I think you can see why some of us are more interested in this idea.