How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-07-2006, 12:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXcellent
Speedometer and Shifting Problem...

Checking through this forum, I found quite a few things about speedometer and shifting problems. However, I'm not really sure if what I am experiencing has been mentioned before.

It all started this past Saturday. I was driving towards the freeway when I looked at my speedometer and noticed the needle was just bouncing around 0. When I accelerated, it would just jump to 120 or 130. Now if I could actually go from 0 to 120 that quickly, I'd be excited! But instead, I'm guessing there's a problem. Would this be an electrical issue? Is my speed sensor messed up?

Regardless, I was stuck in traffic on the freeway for quite some time. Eventually when things did clear up, I realized my SVX was feeling a bit sluggish. Even when flooring it, there seemed to be little response. I was going freeway speed (probably 70 I'm guessing, but can't confirm it with the problematic speedometer!) and noticed that my tach was hovering around 3000rpm. In fact, I couldn't get it much past 3000! Apparently my SVX isn't shifting properly! Leaving ihe transmission in "D," the tranny should have shifted and the rpm should have dropped before climbing again during acceleration. Unfortunately that wasn't happening.

While a friend was test-driving the SVX to try and diagnose the problem, he experienced the same things. But while he was fiddling with the manual button, and shifting between "D" and "3," he finally got it to shift like it is supposed to when healthy. We returned to meet up with some people, and when I started the car up again, I was back to having the same shifting problem. Anybody know what the problem may be? When I had the oil changed a few weeks ago, the transmission fluid was still clean and "pink." Is my tranny going to die? Are the speedometer and shifting issues somehow related?

As always, any help and advice will be appreciated!
Old 02-07-2006, 01:07 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I would say it's just an issue with the speed sensor. Is your check engine light (CEL) on?
Old 02-07-2006, 03:57 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Speed sensors.

The speed sensor in the front diff drives the speedo, it also tells the TCU the speed for the gear changes. When they give trouble the TCU uses the other speed sensor, to do the changes, but not to the same degree, so it changes differently. If it is electrical it should post a code. If it is mechanically it won't. You need to pull the sensor out of the diff case to see what has gone on.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:39 PM

OOOOH! Intl responses so far! None from the U.S.!

The 'Check Engine Light' had come on on New Year's Eve. It came on when I was driving out, but turned off when I was returning home. Since then, I haven't had any problems with it.

So it seems like you both think it could be the speed sensor affecting both the speedometer and transmission shifting. That sounds like it would be the best case scenario...I wouldn't want to have to replace my tranny (although that would give me a reason for a 5spd swap).

Will there be a way for me to gauge if the problem is indeed the speed sensor if I pull it? I've gotta admit I'm a noob when it comes to even simple auto mechanics. Are the 'codes' that were referred to the number of flashes on 'POWER'? If the speed sensor is dead, anyone know of a working one being available and for what price (I'll probably be posting in the 'wanted/for sale' section then)? Seems like they've been in demand...

Whatever the case, thanks for the insight!
Old 02-08-2006, 05:55 AM
Inhabitant of Darkness

Registered SVX
it might be the fuel pump dying on you (not the speedometer problem , i'm talking about) i had the car running really sluggish too for a bit...kind of like it didn't want to go...or it couldn't if it's life depended on it...the engine light did come on and go away shortly after...i couldn't get the car to get past 3000rpms as well..

i'm not saying that it's the problem you have.
1992 Subaru SVX LS~L Ebony Pearl JDM 6MT/DCCD
2007 Subaru Legacy Spec B. Diamond Grey Metallic
Old 02-08-2006, 11:48 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Check the SVXipedia on http://svx-iw.com in the codes section on how to check the various SVX error codes.

Check both the Engine (ECU) and Transmission (TCU) codes.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessofDeath
it might be the fuel pump dying on you (not the speedometer problem , i'm talking about) i had the car running really sluggish too for a bit...kind of like it didn't want to go...or it couldn't if it's life depended on it...the engine light did come on and go away shortly after...i couldn't get the car to get past 3000rpms as well..

i'm not saying that it's the problem you have.
Hmmmm...that does sound quite similiar; I'll keep it in mind. So I assume you replaced the fuel pump and the problem was fixed? I just hope I don't have to break my bank to remedy the probs!
Old 02-08-2006, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
Check the SVXipedia on http://svx-iw.com in the codes section on how to check the various SVX error codes.

Check both the Engine (ECU) and Transmission (TCU) codes.
I had thought about checking that site too. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get the page to load...could just be that the site is down. But thanks again!
Old 02-09-2006, 11:02 AM
Meow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXcellent
I had thought about checking that site too. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get the page to load...could just be that the site is down. But thanks again!
I think I've figured out why the site wasn't loading. Try it again and let me know!
Old 02-09-2006, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
I think I've figured why the site wasn't loading. Try it again and let me know!
Site is back up again! Wow, I didn't even know that it was your site until just now. I'll try to check the codes this weekend. After getting a few more opinions, it really is beginning to sound like (and hopefully is just) a problem with my speed sensor.

In another thread, it was mentioned that the speed sensors are interchangeable across different models. Will the following be okay?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUBAR...spagenameZWDVW

How difficult will it be to install a new speed sensor? Keep in mind that I'm practically useless with tools! And until I get the problem fixed (whatever it may be), do you think it'll be okay to continue to drive my car in the condition it currently is in?

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2006, 05:54 AM
AK Rowdy

Send a message via AIM to Crysis
My speedometer acted the same way and it was the speed sensor, but it wasnt the cheap one :/ it was the one inside the transmission. Was about 400 or so to fix. What my father did to check if the "cheaper" speed sensor was broken is he pulled it out of the plug, (you can check on the HOW TO documents to see where it is) and took a drill to the sensor and spun it and checked to see if my speedometer worked, but of course with my luck it wasnt the one broken :/ As for the check engine light, it would come on and off randomly.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crysis
My speedometer acted the same way and it was the speed sensor, but it wasnt the cheap one :/ it was the one inside the transmission. Was about 400 or so to fix. What my father did to check if the "cheaper" speed sensor was broken is he pulled it out of the plug, (you can check on the HOW TO documents to see where it is) and took a drill to the sensor and spun it and checked to see if my speedometer worked, but of course with my luck it wasnt the one broken :/ As for the check engine light, it would come on and off randomly.
Was this affecting your gears shifting as well?

On another note, I must be a complete idiot; I tried checking the TCU error codes and couldn't get anything to read. Am I just not doing it right? Or is it because I have the 'Smallcar Shift Kit' installed (POWER blinks whenever I start my car)?
Old 02-11-2006, 05:39 PM
AK Rowdy

Send a message via AIM to Crysis
the speedo gear did not cause the shifting problem for me, however recently my car is doing the same thing as urs. On the highway around 75 it is about 3000 rpms...but it will shift to 2500 or so rpms after a couple of minutes of driving at 75. Does ur car eventually shift down.

Its weird because I know it goes into 4th but it seems the overdrive isnt kicking in or sumthing...i donno..i am a noob when it comes to cars, but i have the exact same problem as u and once I replaced the speedo sensor everything was normal besides the shifting.

Good luck
Old 02-11-2006, 07:01 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crysis
the speedo gear did not cause the shifting problem for me, however recently my car is doing the same thing as urs. On the highway around 75 it is about 3000 rpms...but it will shift to 2500 or so rpms after a couple of minutes of driving at 75. Does ur car eventually shift down.

Its weird because I know it goes into 4th but it seems the overdrive isnt kicking in or sumthing...i donno..i am a noob when it comes to cars, but i have the exact same problem as u and once I replaced the speedo sensor everything was normal besides the shifting.

Good luck
That's the torque converter locking up my friend. It won't do it until the tranny fluid hits 150 degrees or so. Mine takes about 15-25 minutes of driving before it starts locking up. It's perfectly normal.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:17 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

For Speed sensor 2 located in the transmission/front differential:

1: remove connector from speed sensor
2: remove speed sensor
3: Reconnect the connector to the speed sensor
4: Place a multimeter set on DC voltage between pins 1 and 2 on the connector. (middle and left)
5: turn the little metal "T" that comes out of the sensor.
It should jump between 5V and 0V 4 times per full revolution of the "t".

If it shows a continuous 5V, you may have the uhhhh... wrong pin 1, switch the outer probe to the "other left side". (And leave the middle as is.)

They usually "open" on a fault by design, so if it's broken, you will not see a voltage on the output. It will remain at zero volts as you rotate the "t" if it's inoperative.

Let's hope it's inoperative. If it works, then it may be your "drive and driven speedo gear set"., and that will turn out an expensive repair.

The good news is, the sensor is usually the culprit, and not the gear set.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)