Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-23-2005, 10:16 PM

New Rack installed--Sorry wrong quess!!!

I had steering issues. Some slipping and stiff and hard turning. I had a re-built unit in for about six months. The good people at Subaru diagnosed it to be the rack I then went ahead and ordered a brand new unit and had them install it. They called to say it was installed but still not working right. There is now a popping noise coming from the universal joint assembly I think when turning the wheel left and right. Could this part be causing all these steering issues. I spent 618.61 plus 264.16 labor to have this new rack put in. Apparently the old rack was ok. I paid almost 800.00 for nothing. Has anyone had to negotiate with Subaru after such a bad diagnosis. The universal joint assembly is 167.06. The steering is actually worse now than when I first brought it in. Any knowledge or advice would be appreciated.

Mike
Old 12-24-2005, 03:21 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
My advice? just go back to that garage and &@#$%^&* out of them they made that mistake, they should fix it. Including the new rack thing come on man, it's not just a $100 you are spending, there's more than $800 and still nothing was right

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:29 PM
<<<Alcyone

I've had similar problems with Subaru and Ford dealerships.

In both cases I gave them the option of putting my good parts back in for free or leaving the new parts in place for free, either way I was not going to pay for their misdiagnosis, especially when I had told them what the problem was when I brought the cars in. Subaru opted for new parts, labor was higher. Ford opted for old parts, part price was higher.

Both times I wasn't out any money just the extra time it took to fix the real problems . . .

Pentiums - Melt in your PC, not in your hand!

Project - '92 Claret - Purchased May '06, 99,XXX Miles. Includes two bad engines and one bad tranny, cracked windshield, otherwise mostly complete.

His - '92 Ebony Pearl - Purchased Dec '05, 134,687 Miles. Parked, TC Seal(?) is leaking.Daily driver - 140,500 and climbing.
Hers - '92 Teal - Purchased Aug '05, 129,050 Miles. Daily driver - 160,000 and climbing.
Mods:
PWR Radiator!
Problems:
Antenna doesn't work - Bought a 'new' one - Too cold to install . . . OK, it's warmer but I have other projects too!
Ticking from front of engine, passenger side - Stuck lifter?