Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Brake Upgrades

Old 12-22-2005, 07:14 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

Send a message via AIM to gest24
Brake Upgrades...

So I know other Subies brakes won't match up. But, are there any other cars I can find rotor or even Brembo kits that would work? I know Mustangs and a couple other car have the same bolt pattern we do but would any cross over stuff work?
1992 SVX LS-L: Now TomStock Stage 3... 6MT, R180 Rear, Tomstock Short Shifter and hard rubber mount, Group N Motor and Tranny Mount, Stage 2V6 Chip, Z32 MAF, Stage 3 CAI, Stebro, Intake Cams, 17" STi BBS Powder Coated Black, Bridgestone Potenza RE070, and Koni inserts w/Mychailo's Springs!

Sand Diego SCCA Solo 2 #308

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX
88 XT6(regret the day I left her behind)

socaleuro.com They like the flat 6...

Check My New Homepage..
Old 12-22-2005, 07:45 PM
<<<Alcyone

Gee, there's a button up there that says Search, I wonder what that does . . .

Take a look at www.raceconcepts.net

Pentiums - Melt in your PC, not in your hand!

Project - '92 Claret - Purchased May '06, 99,XXX Miles. Includes two bad engines and one bad tranny, cracked windshield, otherwise mostly complete.

His - '92 Ebony Pearl - Purchased Dec '05, 134,687 Miles. Parked, TC Seal(?) is leaking.Daily driver - 140,500 and climbing.
Hers - '92 Teal - Purchased Aug '05, 129,050 Miles. Daily driver - 160,000 and climbing.
Mods:
PWR Radiator!
Problems:
Antenna doesn't work - Bought a 'new' one - Too cold to install . . . OK, it's warmer but I have other projects too!
Ticking from front of engine, passenger side - Stuck lifter?
Old 12-22-2005, 08:00 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

oooh you got me... lol Sorry, kinda dealing with some illness so I was feeling lazy.
1992 SVX LS-L: Now TomStock Stage 3... 6MT, R180 Rear, Tomstock Short Shifter and hard rubber mount, Group N Motor and Tranny Mount, Stage 2V6 Chip, Z32 MAF, Stage 3 CAI, Stebro, Intake Cams, 17" STi BBS Powder Coated Black, Bridgestone Potenza RE070, and Koni inserts w/Mychailo's Springs!

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX

Check My New Homepage..
Old 12-22-2005, 09:37 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Well he has a good thread going so don't punk him out. I wanna know what else we got. I am in the market for new brakes and would love to upgrade. Now Dayle has 2 listed and MOVEIT supposedly has a big brake kit out also... Do we have any other options?? I may just go the same route as old and get some drilled slotted rotors, ceramic pads this time, stainless lines... that good stuff.

Tom
Old 12-22-2005, 09:57 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

I have drilled/slotted up front.And my "ceramic" pads are worn and need replacing. But I decided to try EBC Green Stuff this time around. I just ask because I saw an SVX in the San Diego area with some mighty looking brakes under 17s. Was just curious if I could find some brembo stuff from other cars that'd fit since Subie decided to make no other car compatable with our beauty.

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX

Check My New Homepage..
Old 12-22-2005, 11:00 PM
no more SVX...

Send a message via AIM to BordeauxComet Send a message via Yahoo to BordeauxComet
Did anyone ever find out if the '05 STi brakes will bolt on? The bolt pattern is 5x114.3 like the SVX, but unlike other Subarus. BTW, is that the same for the '06 STI?

'03 VW GTI 1.8T
'94 SVX LS Bordeaux Pearl (wrecked, sold..)

My Locker
Old 12-25-2005, 05:01 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX
MOVEIT only has front caliper upgrades, i want to find a nice set of 4-piston calipers f/r. Would 4-pistons f/r be good or would it be better to have 2-pistons in the rear? I figured 4 all around would be balanced pretty well. Any ideas?

dustin

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company
Old 12-25-2005, 05:25 PM
Maniac modifier

the svx should have been equipt with 4 piston in the front and 2 in the rear. Sti upgrades would be awsome and probobly a perfect fit. But no one has the cash to shell out to see if they would fit.

Tom
Old 12-25-2005, 05:33 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

I was thinking about that. Even if the Rotor would fit you could easily adapt products from other companies to our cars. I saw on motorsport warehouse that there is a 13" front brake upgrade available, but for $1800

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX

Check My New Homepage..
Old 12-25-2005, 10:10 PM
Maniac modifier

Besides... MOVEIT, or the two on Dayle's site I was wondering about any others if there were any knowns

Tom
Old 12-25-2005, 10:54 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Anyone with the time, patience, and a halfway decent amount of know how can put together their own kit.

You first have to look at master cylinder on the SVX, I'm not sure what size, nor what pressures it puts out. from there, I'd talk to Todd at TCE performance if you want to go the willwood direction, or call up one of the techs at StopTech.

Honestly, those are the only two brake manufacturers I'd go with, Other than adapting some of the newer porsche calipers ("big reds" or newer)

Really the only difficult part is the adapter plate. Other than that matching larger enough rotors to calipers is easy. You would be buying new lines (goodridge is my personal recomendation) Machining the adapter plate you would have to do some fabrication work, however it shouldn't be all that difficult. Make sure to "over engineer" (ie. Make it really thick metal), as the torsional loading on this piece is significant.

However DON"T just throw on any calipers... you NEED to make sure that the SVX mastercylinder can handle the amount and pressure of brake fluid used by all of the calipers. (4pots front and rear would work fine. I'm not sure if you would need a proportioning valve, or if the stock ABS could handle the difference, that is something you would need to look into.)

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 12-29-2005, 09:32 AM
'E'

wrx 4 pot callipers

i have fitted wrx 4 pot callipers to my svx and have 2 pots for the rear but haven't tried fitting them yet. all you need to do is increase the diameter of the rotor and put a spacer between the calliper and the mounting points on the hub to centre it properly
Old 12-29-2005, 09:33 AM
Maniac modifier

WRX or WRX STi brakes? I would love me a set of Brembos

Tom
Old 12-29-2005, 02:57 PM
'E'

wrx but the brembo's should bolt on in the same position it's just a case of clearance
Old 12-29-2005, 03:37 PM
Maniac modifier

So what did you do? Re-drill the holes for the stubs?? I mean they are compeltely different patterns. Also, So you are just using a spacer to set the calipers in? or did you create a new bracket? Sorry for all of the questions but I am more than curious

Tom