Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Product and Service Reviews > Interior Car Care Products
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 07:47 PM
clarkerussell

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVX
Wait... ANOTHER greenville person...
Greenville born and raised... I'm in Charlotte for now though.

Do you know a good mechanic that can do my timing belt and front engine seals?

Last edited by clarkerussell; 10-24-2005 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess
Both Earl and I have been in contact with the seller to tell him that he also needed to produce two colors of beige leather dye for the SVX, one for the seats and one for the steering wheel. Earl sent him a piece of blown beige airbag for color matching.

The darker beige for the steering wheel is available NOW.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUBAR...09057995QQrdZ1

I just bought this product and plan on trying it out on arrival. Let's see if it meets the svxcess standard for excellence. Either way I will give a full report.

I used the beige leather restore on my worn steering wheel this afternoon and I was truly amazed at the results! I couldn't be happier.

The color match is perfect and it is really easy to use. Within 15 minutes my steering wheel was a pristine as the rest of my interior.

The directions are very clear and simple. Just clean the worn areas of your wheel with some isopropyl alcohol to remove any greases or oils from the leather. Apply the leather restore to the worn or scuffed area, using your finger inside the supplied glove, blending out into the good areas of the leather. Allow the dye to penetrate the scuffed areas for about 30 sec. and wipe the excess with a slightly damp soft cloth. One coat was all that was needed.

The dye is just thick enough to fill any scratches or imperfections in the steering wheel. If I hadn't done this myself, I would never have known that the steering wheel was redone. The semi-gloss sheen when dry is most natural. I even thought about slightly scuffing the entire wheel and coloring it entirely, but the color match made this unnecessary.

Using my standards, I give this product an enthusiastic thumbs up! I am sorry that my digital camera is not working, so I can't show you any photos of the before, during, or after. If it wears away again sometime in the future, I'll just remove the existing coat with alcohol and do it again.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 11-01-2005, 09:32 AM
Network Design Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkerussell
Greenville born and raised... I'm in Charlotte for now though.

Do you know a good mechanic that can do my timing belt and front engine seals?
I take my car to Hunter Subaru in Hendersonville, NC... as far as non-dealers, I don tknow, I have barely been back in the area a year, after being gone for 10...

As for the beige dye... can I get a link? or is it easily found on ebay?
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVX
As for the beige dye... can I get a link? or is it easily found on ebay?
Here is the link. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...Pr4_PcN_BIN_IT

He lowered his buy-it-now price, but raised the shipping. (I bought it for $6.00 with $9.95 shipping (although the first class postage was only .60)

I guess he figures with a product like this there is a demand

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Old 11-01-2005, 10:53 AM

The only reason I ordered the dye was because of the good reviews it was given here, the main thing that keeps me from ordering his other products, is the outrageous shipping costs that he charges for them
Old 11-01-2005, 11:04 AM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Just received a bottle of the gray seat dye. Shipping cost wasn't outrageous but it's sure a small bottle. Does it go a long way? Turns out the leather seats in my Volvo 940 turbo are almost identical color to the '94 SVX.
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)
Old 11-01-2005, 11:14 AM

I dont care how freaking good this stuff is... 16.95 for shiping?!?!?!?

I REFUSE

And a quick found much more complete kits that can do whatever color you can dream up for $24 and up... I will be spending my cash elsewhere...
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)

Last edited by RSVX; 11-01-2005 at 11:23 AM.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:00 PM

I haven't seen the other kits on e-bay, nor can I speak for the beige dye, but I will say the gray of this dye seems to match very very closey, if not perfectly.
I also didn't pay $16.95 for shipping on it (don't remember what the cost was) and for the record I was commenting on the high shipping costs of his other items (visor clip, hood stays, and cup holder)

bwb3--supposedly the bottle is enough to do both front seats as well as the back seats (and depending on how bad they are, enough left for the steering wheel)
Old 11-01-2005, 07:31 PM
Formerly known as broyles

good results

I used some on my seats this week, and it looks great! easy to apply and buff off, this is a great product.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

I sent Ronn Stark, the seller of the the Leather Restore Dye an email yesterday about his price increase. Here is what I said to him:

Ronn,

Why is the beige leather restore I bought a week ago for $16.00 ($6.00 dye +$9.95 shipping) gone up to $21.00 ($3.95 dye + $16.95 shipping)?

I used the product and am very pleased with the results, giving it a favorable review on the forum. However, I am afraid members on the Network may balk at buying the product at this total price. They may feel that they are being gouged, or charged as much as the market will bear, for an exclusive product.

(Although you charged me $9.95 for shipping, the actual postage was only 60 cents. I can't imagine what someone would say if after paying $17.00 for shipping, saw that postage on the package)

A good product, at a fair price, will always make you a lot more. Maybe the thing to do is offer the complete beige interior kit, with the two colors of dye for the seats and the wheel. The gray only seems to need one color.

You have done an outstanding job in researching and developing this product, and should be compensated for your time and expense. I guess if the price was somewhat higher, and the shipping costs lower, it would work better.

As a starting point maybe a two color kit for $12.95 plus $6.00 for shipping? Only you know how much you need to make to turn a reasonable profit. Maybe a bulk discount to the Network would be agreeable.

Here is his reply... and a discounted offer to the Network:

John,

You got a good deal, I list my products at a lower price when I first list them on eBay to see if their is a market for the product. The $21.00 for a SEATS RESTORE product is the price I normally charge for this product on eBay. The low listing price and the high shipping charge is a way of reducing my eBay fees if the product does not sell. It costs less to list a product at a lower price on eBay. My normal shipping charge is $4.00 and this covers mailing charges, packaging expenses, eBay listing and selling fees, and pay pal fees. All these fees pretty much eat up the $4.00.

I appreciate your interest, concern and opinion of this product. I would like to offer your SVX members a discount on my products for a limited time, if I could get a bulk order without going through eBay. I would be willing to eliminate the shipping charge and sell the product to your fellow members for the discounted price of $16.95. I'm not sure how to go about this- maybe you have some suggestions on how I could do this. Please email me back if you have any interest and/or suggestions. And if you would be willing to inform your members, and organize some system to get some bulk orders from them.

Ronn Stark

We have done group buys in the past for various parts (hood emblems, JDM, radiators). Is this worth pursuing? Any questions or comments on his reply?

Last edited by svxcess; 11-02-2005 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

UPDATE and LINK

Here is the updated link to the product:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subar...11819282QQrdZ1I

I don't know if it was my email about the low cost/high shipping that prompted him to change his ad, or if he accidentally reversed his figures in the previous one. Without discount it is now $16.95 and $4.00 shipping.

(What made me check this out was the part of his email that said his normal shipping charge was $4.00, and the normal price was $21.00.)

Old 11-02-2005, 10:04 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Sticky--Maybe?

If the seller would provide a list of his SVX related products and the special SVX Network prices along with payment methods (M/O, PayPal, etc) and appropriate addresses, I bet Earl could set up a sticker that we could all benefit from--you think??? Would that be appropriate, Earl?

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 11-02-2005, 10:36 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
well why don't we put it in the one thread on the opening page that says suppliers or sumthing or other...

Tom
Old 11-02-2005, 11:18 AM

See, now this I like... I would be more than interested in a group buy...

Old 11-02-2005, 11:25 AM

If somebody has a little gray left over they'd like to sell, PM me. My seats are in pretty good shape, but I'd like to re-do the steering wheel.

thanks,
dcb