Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 09-30-2004, 03:59 PM

Talking Started saving for my SVX!

This paycheck is the first one of a few that I will be putting a large chunk into savings for when I get home. Right now, I've got about $450, and my wife has about $1500 that she's holding onto right now. Maybe I can get some input and experience from some of the people around here. I'm wanting to know a few things. Although I seriously doubt that I will have the money for a '96/'97, I do want either an lsl or an lsi. I plan on this being my daily driver, as well as the car we take trips in, as the camaro, although it get excellent gas mileage, isn't the most comfortable traveling car.

1. How much money, generally speaking, do you all think is a good amount to have saved before I go looking for one?
2. What is everybody's favorite year (and why)?
3. How many miles are too many on this car (would prefer under 100k, but not required)?

Thanks all for spending some time in here with me, and I'll be keeping you updated on my progress

[Edit: From everything that I've been reading (speed limiter, o2 sensors, and a few things I can't remember right now), I'm leaning towards a '92, but I really want a beige interior, and manual seatbelts]

Last edited by majeskyb; 09-30-2004 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:12 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I would say have $5000 minimum. That would cover the cost of the car and any immediate repairs required.

Year and mileage are not as important as the condition of the car itself. There are SVX's with only 10000 miles and some with 300000+ miles.

Although if I had my choice I'd have a 96 Laguna Blue.

Take your time and find a good one. The longer you take the more money you can save up to find/afford a good one. Just look for one that looks like it was taken care of.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:22 PM

My biggest problem is that I've been wanting one for so long that when I get home I'm going to want to run out and buy the first one that I can get ahold of. I will make sure I have plenty of money though, and if I need more, I'll just keep on saving until I have it. Thanks
Old 09-30-2004, 04:26 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Fight the urge! Your patience will be rewarded.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:32 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Ya know..... Mine will be for sale as soon as I get it back... SHe has been babied all her life and already has all the modifications that ya could ever want

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 10-01-2004, 12:58 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I agree with David - you want one that's been taken care of. It's easy to fall in love with the first SVX you test drive, no matter what the problems, but taking your time and spending a little extra on one that was cared for properly pays off big time. Mine was dealer-serviced its entire life by the former owner. The guy had even taken it to the dealer for things like wiper blades and batteries.

I wouldn't recommend adopting an SVX with many known problems. I mean, these cars aren't getting any younger, so most of them are going to have some sort of 'problem.' But I would avoid an 'all I have to do is fix this and that and that and it'll be perfect' mentality.

So find one that was taken care of. That's worth way more than the mileage.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-03-2004, 06:51 PM

Thank you for that. I know I'm going to be taking my time once I get home, I'm just getting so anxious and it's getting hard to wait. GreenMarine- I'd jump on your offer, especially since it has a 5-speed, but I told myself after I bought my last Camaro, that I'm never getting cloth again. It has to be leather. This will actually be the first car that I get to completely decide everything about. All my other cars I was rushed into. But the SVX, which is my affordable dream car, I will make sure I get it exactly the way I want.
Old 10-03-2004, 07:08 PM
Giong back to the beaters...

my 92 has grey interior and the mouse track belts.... Trans that doesn't like anything.....but I love my car.
89 240sx se red ~165k miles Gone and unknown
89 240sx se Black~185k R.I.P.
85 Toyota pickup ~205k R.I.P.
85 BMW 325e ~ Gone and unknown
85 Ford Mustang getting engine swap now!
05 Colorado ~108k Daily Driver
Old 10-04-2004, 09:40 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally posted by majeskyb
Thank you for that. I know I'm going to be taking my time once I get home, I'm just getting so anxious and it's getting hard to wait. GreenMarine- I'd jump on your offer, especially since it has a 5-speed, but I told myself after I bought my last Camaro, that I'm never getting cloth again. It has to be leather. This will actually be the first car that I get to completely decide everything about. All my other cars I was rushed into. But the SVX, which is my affordable dream car, I will make sure I get it exactly the way I want.
That's cool... I understand... The cloth isn't as smooth as leather.... But it holds ya better when ya are carving up a mountian road

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 10-04-2004, 10:11 AM

Unfortunetly, there aren't that many mountains around Barksdale. The closest thing we have is the bridge I go over to get to base...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: